ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

AirBag jackets

There are a few jackets on the web that seem to at least look like they are quality and make sense...at least as described. Does anyone here have first hand experience with the air jackets ? In metro riding abrasion resistance is not a factor...here, you'd hit a curb, car, railing or get hit by another vehicle way before your blue jeans wore out. Has anybody been down with one of these jackets?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

When I was at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show I got to see a demo of an airbag vest. I was really impressed and will be buying for myself and my husband. Check them out at http://www.safermoto.com/

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I have never even heard of these until today when a woman that rides called my work to ask if I knew where she could find female-sized ones. She said she's called all the manufacturer for these jackets and they all make them for men, size Large and bigger...sounded like she already did her homework to answer her question but I guess was grabbing at straws hoping someone would have heard of something. Anyhow, after the phone call I looked them up and what a neat idea...I'm sure it doesn't work for every crash scenario but just the idea seems good.

But then I got to thinking: if you're THAT concerned about crashing and need to take this an extra step, why are you riding at all? We all know getting on the bikes the risks involved. We can only be as careful as we try to be and yes, sometimes outside situations are beyond our control...I want to be safe but I also get on the bike knowing I'll return home in one peace but to get all padded, squished and covered and layered up, is it even worth the thrill anymore?

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
I have never even heard of these until today when a woman that rides called my work to ask if I knew where she could find female-sized ones. She said she's called all the manufacturer for these jackets and they all make them for men, size Large and bigger...sounded like she already did her homework to answer her question but I guess was grabbing at straws hoping someone would have heard of something. Anyhow, after the phone call I looked them up and what a neat idea...I'm sure it doesn't work for every crash scenario but just the idea seems good.

But then I got to thinking: if you're THAT concerned about crashing and need to take this an extra step, why are you riding at all? We all know getting on the bikes the risks involved. We can only be as careful as we try to be and yes, sometimes outside situations are beyond our control...I want to be safe but I also get on the bike knowing I'll return home in one peace but to get all padded, squished and covered and layered up, is it even worth the thrill anymore?
It's all about about how much risk you're willing to accept. Personally I wouldn't wear them because of the weather here, but I'm sure they prevent a lot of pain you otherwise couldn't without an airbag system.

The guys wearing no safety gear could argue the same thing. It's a inherently a riskier activity than driving, why are you riding at all if you're going to be covered in gear?

Edit: Also, for a lot of people riding scooters/motorcycles really isn't about the thrill of riding. Lots of countries around the world have massive amounts of riders who don't really want to drag knee if they're just going to market/ the corner store.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM   #5
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Came across these today...I'm still too shallow and concerned with sex appeal to wear something like that, but it might be worth a looksie for some of you.
http://www.bikebone.com/Air-Vest-Mot...ag-Hit-Air.htm

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Thanks for sharing. I wish I knew about these before.