ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Noob needs info/advise.

Well guys, it's my third day of riding and I have a couple questions.
I've noticed that after I've pulled the clutch in all the way to slow down, and reapply throttle the bike will slow down and jerk me forward a bit like I tapped the bakes or something. Am I doing something wrong?
And do you guys pull the clutch in all the way when slowing?
Thanks in advance!
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

get your rpms a little higher. search for the term "blipping" your throttle
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Wait wait wait, I'm a bit confused. Are you reapplying the throttle before releasing the clutch again?!!!?!

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

My thoughts:

Ease the clutch out to make the transition smooth, don't just drop it (meaning, don't let go of it fast)

or you might be in the wrong gear (too low of a gear for the speed you're going.)

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #5
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
... after I've pulled the clutch in all the way to slow down...
um...pulling the clutch in disengages the engine, it won't slow you down drastically, not unless you apply brakes.
You might be trying to engine brake...i.e., you downshift and rev while releasing the clutch. look up terms "blipping throttle", "rev matching" and "engine braking" to get a better understanding...until you do though, keep on using the brakes

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Thanks guys, you were right.
I got my hands on an owner's manual and I was definitely going too fast for the gears I was using. The ride today was much smoother

Old August 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #7
fatestkid
ninjette.org member

Name: fatty

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

The owners manuals gear changing isn't really applicable to real world. According to it you are in 6th gear at.any speed above 30 or so MPH correct?

If I understand your issue this is what's happening.
1.pull the clutch
2.slow down naturally or through breaking
3.let go of the breaks (if applied) and engage the clutch while giving gas and the bike jerks.

If this is the case then in step three you need to give more gas and slowly let out the clutch. Also if you slowed down a lot let's say you dropped speed by 20+MPH then you down shift, rev the engine and slowly drop the clutch.

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Hello Mike. Also, the only time you need to pull the clutch in fully is when you are at a stop. Pulling it in fully when shifting is not necessary.

When shifting up or down only a slight pull on the clutch is needed to unload the transmission from the engine when you choose a gear. Motorcycle clutches are different than automobile clutches as they are made to be slipped. Let the friction zone be your friend when shifting.

It will take you a while to feel smooth when shifting but all it takes is practice.

Jeff

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatestkid View Post
The owners manuals gear changing isn't really applicable to real world. According to it you are in 6th gear at.any speed above 30 or so MPH correct?

If I understand your issue this is what's happening.
1.pull the clutch
2.slow down naturally or through breaking
3.let go of the breaks (if applied) and engage the clutch while giving gas and the bike jerks.
Hey Fatty, thanks for the reply.
That's exactly what was happening. I applied all the tips I got during today's ride and it was much more enjoyable, and less intimidating. Thanks for the advice.

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Hello Mike. Also, the only time you need to pull the clutch in fully is when you are at a stop. Pulling it in fully when shifting is not necessary.

When shifting up or down only a slight pull on the clutch is needed to unload the transmission from the engine when you choose a gear. Motorcycle clutches are different than automobile clutches as they are made to be slipped. Let the friction zone be your friend when shifting.

It will take you a while to feel smooth when shifting but all it takes is practice.

Jeff
Thank you. I was wondering this since I began riding a few days ago but I was too afraid to give it a try. I'll definitely work on it on tomorrow's ride. Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys.