ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Penguin250
ninjette.org member

Name: Walt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250R, 2010 Galaxy Blue Colorshift Ninja 250R

Jackets and Back protection.

So the more and more I think about it, I have issues with my jackets back .. "pad". It feels equivalent to say the foam that is on a Tempur-pedic bed. But its at most 3/8" thick. I'm not too knowledgeable on gear, so I was wondering if I should be at ease that this shouldn't be a problem.

Now if it isn't acceptable, I am also needing advice on if something like this will fit into my jacket
Penguin250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Powerlogix
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

Its an additional cost but I would suggest adding a CE approved back padding if you don't feel comfortable. Thats what I did I did not feel comfortable with the pad I had, there's different levels of back protectors. From the picture I believe there a Dainese version that may fit.
Powerlogix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Enfemus
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

Go to your jacket brands website. Find the back protector they suggest or offer. Take that to motorcycle-superstore.com or equivalent and purchase.
Enfemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #4
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
The back protection that comes standard in most gear is not up to standard. Back protection should be CEII rated, and most is CEI or not CE rated at all. I've wondered why jackets from even very good manufacturers are so obviously lacking, and the best I can come up with is ventilation. Backs sweat, and CEII rated armor just aren't as well ventilated as the crap the manufacturers prefer to put in. Real back armor is also a bit heavier, and may make a jacket feel more uncomfortable.

One very good option is the SAS-TEC, which is CEII rated. It also molds to fit your form, and is extremely comfortable, though admittedly not as breathable in hot weather as the standard. It is also pretty affordable, at about $40. Cheap when you are talking about protecting your spine.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #5
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I have a scorpion jacket with that exact same backpad. Just checked to see if i was able to switch it out with a knox TP2 and it did not fit. The edges were slightly too wide. If you find a suitable replacement, let me know, i'll be buying one as well.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #6
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

I have the SAS-TEC protector in most of my jackets. For jackets it doesn't fit I bought a second one and trimmed it to size with a hobby knife using the standard foam pad as a template.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #7
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I have a scorpion stinger jacket and I got this and some peace of mind, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...r-stryker-vest but if i can redo it again i'll get this instead http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...rotection-vest

we're talking about our backs here, so I don't think you want to cut some $ with that.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #8
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
I have the SAS-TEC protector in most of my jackets. For jackets it doesn't fit I bought a second one and trimmed it to size with a hobby knife using the standard foam pad as a template.
Just confirming that the SAS-TEC comes in 3 sizes that fit most jackets, and is easily trimmable with a hobby knife. Should fit most jackets out there.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Penguin250
ninjette.org member

I'll go with a SAS TEC then to start with to see how it works out. One question, especially Floyd: You say it gets kind of hot under the pad, would drilling out a few more vent holes weaken it a huge amount?

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #10
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Beats me, I'm not aware of any tests or anything on it. I can't imagine it would harm it too much. I left mine as purchased despite heat where I live. It really isn't that bad, just not as cool as the stock pad.

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Penguin250
ninjette.org member

Alrighty, I'll trim and leave it as is for awhile, then if it gets to be too much, I'll try out putting some holes in it. And I'll post up how it goes afterwards if I do.

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Personally I just went with a stand alone back protector:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...back-protector

It's low profile and fits perfectly under the jacket. You also don't have to worry about buying more armor for other jackets you may buy or having the armor shift around so it's not actually protecting your back anymore if you take a tumble. Obviously it's personal preference but I'm pretty content with it.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #13
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Bohn makes good stuff. I use one. Took the crappy foam covered thing out of my jacket.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #14
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
Personally I just went with a stand alone back protector:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...back-protector

It's low profile and fits perfectly under the jacket. You also don't have to worry about buying more armor for other jackets you may buy or having the armor shift around so it's not actually protecting your back anymore if you take a tumble. Obviously it's personal preference but I'm pretty content with it.
I like the idea of having the armor in the jacket, one less thing to worry about when grabbing the jacket. However, when I was looking for back protectors, I remember knox having some good stuff as well.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #15
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I like the idea of having the armor in the jacket, one less thing to worry about when grabbing the jacket. However, when I was looking for back protectors, I remember knox having some good stuff as well.
I definitely understand that side of the argument. There's a lot less chance of forgetting the back protector if it's already in your jacket since you'll never go riding without the jacket (right? RIGHT?). Also, once you get to your destination, it's also one less thing to keep track of as well. As I said, it really just comes down to personal preference.

As for Knox, all of their stuff is definitely highly recommended from what I've seen.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #16
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

+1 on the Sac Tec... I wear it in Texas with 100f+ everyday...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #17
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin250 View Post
I'll go with a SAS TEC then to start with to see how it works out. One question, especially Floyd: You say it gets kind of hot under the pad, would drilling out a few more vent holes weaken it a huge amount?
To be honest it's not that bad. You can feel a hot spot when you aren't moving, but when you are it's hardly noticeable. Even though it's a molecular armor I wouldn't put holes in it. The farthest I'd go is trimming off some of the sides/top to make it fit leaving the main body of the armor in tact. When you're upgrading armor you're doing it for the protection.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2011, 06:31 AM   #18
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

I was thinking about going with the a* bioarmor back insert, but that's CE level 1. I don't race, heck I hardly take this thing into the next county. Is the level 2 certification THAT much more protective for non-track/non-aggressive use?

Old July 1st, 2011, 07:56 AM   #19
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
Is the level 2 certification THAT much more protective for non-track/non-aggressive use?
In a lot of ways, the street presents more dangers to the rider than the track does. CE 2 offers twice the protection of CE 1 back protectors. I highly recommend a CE 2 rated back piece if you're already planning to spend the money. Go the extra step and your spine could be thankful if god forbid it comes to that situation. Why cheap out on a piece of protective gear? More info below:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=18
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:43 PM   #20
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

I'm gonna get the sas-tec for my shift jacket...have been looking for a quality back protector that won't break the bank..and it's ce2 that's awesome

* EDIT

Scratch that, I just purchased the Forcefield Pro Sub 4 Back Protector. Figured might as well not skimp out on gear and also I will be able to have one super quality protector that I can use with any jacket instead of having to keep getting back protectors with each jacket.

Not sure if any one here has this but I will put a review up after I get it and get some riding time with it on.

Last futzed with by jamesio; July 3rd, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
jamesio is offline   Reply With Quote