ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Raybot
ninjette.org member

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250

Chicken strips and uneven tire wear?

Ok, I have two questions...
first: My rear tire has some uneven ware... some of the tire the middle looks fine with plenty of tread, and some of it there is no tred left and it is smooth in the middle... I have skid the back end once last year but I didnt think it was enough to make that much of a difference. what could be causing the uneven wear?
second: I feel like my riding skills have improved greatly over the past year and I feel more comfortable leaning further into turns, however I feel like my chicken stips are still rather large... My buddy followed me though deals and he said he thought I was almost to the limit and if I just stuck my knee out a bit it would drag. So I'm wondering if it is the fact that I have a smaller tire (Avon Viper 120/80-16) and the curvature is so sharp or if its just me and I could still lean further?
I have ordered a new pielli diablo 130/80-16 rear tire and it should be here tuesday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 053.jpg (80.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 054.jpg (78.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 062.jpg (60.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 064.jpg (53.6 KB, 5 views)

Old October 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That is strange that part of it is much more worn than another part. Perhaps it wasn't balanced properly? I dunno, or perhaps something wrong in the construction of that particular tire. Either way, it's toast, so it's good that you're replacing it shortly.

As for how wide the chicken strips are, it can depend on the particular tire choice and the profile. At the same lean angle, some tires will be right up to the edge of the tread surface, while others will be much further away.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #3
kkim

re: #2- I agree... worry less about chicken strip width and more about proper riding form and maintaining the bike setup properly.

With all the concern about chicken strips and knee dragging, perhaps it's time to take it to the track?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #4
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): 93 kawi gpz500

#1 back tire wasn't balanced properly
#2 quit using your rear brake so much.

engine braking and the front brake is more than enough to slow you down.

i only use my rear brake when coming to a stop to smooth it out instead of wearing down my boots soles
bamaland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Raybot
ninjette.org member

thanks guys.
I would love to go to a track day! However I don't think there are any that are very close to me, and I don't have any leather riding pants or the money to get some at the moment... Hopefully next season Ill get to.
I've heard its nerve racking and harder at track days on a 250 b/c all of the other bigger bikes.

Old October 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The area that is the thinnest is where the tread wear indicators are. It's obvious that you went past them. The same thing will happen on a car tire too. Proper inflation will also help. When you get you new tire you can check the tread depth near the indicators and it will not be as deep there as some other area. Depending on the shape of your tires, the area of contact will wear out faster than the outside edge anyway under normal riding conditions, regardless of how much time you spend on the Dragon. Track Days are totally different. Heat and more severe lateral stress can effect the tire more in two or three days than 2 months on the street. There is a track in Lebanon just outside Nashville and in South Carolina (Carolina Motorsports Park) . I'm not sure how many track days they have there. They had a track day in August at the Nashville Super Speedway. Check this site for more info on them. http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Raybot
ninjette.org member

my new tires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00142.jpg (246.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SNC00145.jpg (228.2 KB, 2 views)