ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old October 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Raybot
ninjette.org member

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250

You are cordially invited to attend the Ninja 250 Rally - Deals Gap, Aug 4-7

I'm also part of another ninja 250 forum and we are kinda starting to plan a 250 gathering for next year! I pretty much copied and pasted the original post from there.

I figure the more the marier, and it would be awesome if we had a huge turn out. so mark your calenders.

here is the original post:

So, im just thinking outloud, and i wanted to start setting some concrete plans for the 2011 deals gap trip!

Lets put it on our calendars for next year. I think we can definatly get a good group together this year, and hopefully we can explore the area around deals gap.
WHEN
August 1 to August 10 of 2011

WHERE TO STAY

There are Inns and Hotels in Robbinsville that we can stay at. Dablue1, stayed below. 75$ a room. Id recommend sharing to keep the costs down.

http://www.microtelinn.com/MicrotelI...4&brandInfo=MT

If you are camping, you can stay where i stayed
KOA Kampgrounds - www.koa.com
7310 Highway 360, Tellico Plains, TN - (423) 253-2447

that campground was extremely clean and had pools etc.. 25$ a night, still expensive for camping. But beggars cant be choosers.

Old October 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Throw out some more reminders as the date gets closer but I would love to go
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Raybot
ninjette.org member

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250

I'm sure I will. I just thought I would throw it out there pretty far in advance to get people thinking about it.

Old November 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

2011 deals gap 250 meet

Hi Folks, anyone want to meet up and organize a trip for the ninja 250 brothers? Im planning a trip to the dragon on august 1 to the 10, and id love to have everyone from all forums including this one ninjette.org, ninja250forum.com and even ninja250.com.. damm thats alot of forums.

But if you are interested in going lets all get together

Im hoping we can get some sponsors even from kawasaki.

this 2011 will be 25 years that the ninja has been in production, so lets show our love and support for this bike.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sounds like fun! One of these years I'll make it back east to Deals Gap, not sure if this will be the one, but it's on the list.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Oh - also saw another thread here that might be about this same event:

link to related thread

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #7
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Oh - also saw another thread here that might be about this same event:

link to related thread
yup thats the same one. Thats raybot, you can see the old ninja250forum pics on this site

http://www.ninja250forum.com/forum/i...p?topic=3231.0

hopefully that will work, but lets try to get this rolling.

Last futzed with by Alex; November 11th, 2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: link fixed

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Coolio...

/threads merged

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Keep in mind, in 2011 the 250 Ninja will be 25 years old in the United States. 2011 is also the time Honda re-enters the 250cc sportbike market in the U.S. This is in most places a milestone. So a big gathering of dedicated 250 Ninja Owners, I think would not only be great but proper and in order. What better place to showcase the Ninjas greatest assets than at the mecca of motorcycling, The Tail of The Dragon. If you are involved in or know someone involved in marketing, races, motorcycle events, rallies or shows, give Scorch a holla'. Also lets put the idea out to all the other forums too so that if others have plans on or near the same time to be at Deals Gap, one big gathering can be planned. I believe if we push the idea hard and good enough to Kawasaki and have the commitment and support of the forum members and other 250 owners it could be an awesome event.

So give us some feedback or if you have some ideas so we can get it right.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM   #10
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

I'm trying to get a few folks in SE Texas rounded up to make the trip to the Dragon next year. Would it be okay if some members rode bikes other than a Ninja 250? If I don't feel I can comfortably go that far on the Ninjette, I'll have to take the 650R.

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #11
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Great idea! Marking my calendar and looking forward to going, thanks for the post. I will try to bring out a few others... I know 3 others with 250's... but as asked above are we trying to keep this just to 250's or everyone?
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild-bill View Post
I'm trying to get a few folks in SE Texas rounded up to make the trip to the Dragon next year. Would it be okay if some members rode bikes other than a Ninja 250? If I don't feel I can comfortably go that far on the Ninjette, I'll have to take the 650R.
I believe this will be an event open to all bikes. Others are planning to come with other family and friends that ride sport tourers.

It's just that the 250 Ninja will be the star and center of attention.

Don't worry about the Ninja. I clocked over 1000 miles over the Labor Day weekend going to Deals Gap this year. I got tired before the bike did.

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; November 21st, 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM   #13
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Don't know if my butt can stand a 15 hour ride out to TN...and also vacation days play a part of it too. I also feel that my wife would have something to say about my wanting to ride from here to TN by myself. hahahahahahah

Worth keeping an eye on though!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 11:12 AM   #14
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Subscribed. I've yet been to The Dragon on my own bike, can't wait to hear more details as the time nears.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
Great idea! Marking my calendar and looking forward to going, thanks for the post. I will try to bring out a few others... I know 3 others with 250's... but as asked above are we trying to keep this just to 250's or everyone?
I don't see why others couldn't be invited...as long as they aren't d-bags trying to show off.

Oh hang on, to cars, we all are a bunch of d-bags!

Old November 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM   #16
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I won't be riding to the Gap alone and I don't know many people with 250s. So if I am able to make it, an R1, a VFR and a FJR will be coming with.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM   #17
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I don't see why others couldn't be invited...as long as they aren't d-bags trying to show off.

Oh hang on, to cars, we all are a bunch of d-bags!
LOL, sounds good. Thanks for the info.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:03 AM   #18
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Makes me want to get a Corbin seat now. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM   #19
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

I'm game

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #20
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
In!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #21
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

Has anyone considered trailering their 250? But I don't want to trailer all the way-that would be kinda boring. What about 2 or 3 riders getting together and trailering most of the way. Example-3 riders in TX. Someone has a trailer that holds 3 bikes(or we rent one). Trailer to Birmingham AL and rent a storage unit to store the car/truck and trailer. I called Public Storage. With the $1 1st month special, you just pay $1 plus $19 administrative fee. If you need it less than 30 days, it's just $20. Then we ride the last 300 or so miles to the Dragon. Then after having great fun, we go back to Birmingham, load up, and go home. What about this idea?

Old November 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #22
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I'm in! It's only about 300mi down I-81 for me and in two years I haven't managed to make it down there yet.

Old December 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #23
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

So I am a little obsessed with Deal’s Gap at the moment.

Since I have just recently relocated to East TN and got my baby Ninja, I have been to The Dragon a few times now. The first time I went I had no expectations. Sine before moving to the area I had heard about Deal’s Gap but really did not know much about it. In fact, in my wayward youth in 1994 I was hiking the Appalachian Trail and had been through Fontana Dam…anyway, I took my bike with about 100 miles under my belt for a nice ride down the Foothills Parkway to RT129 to check out the curves. Like I said, without any expectation I was really surprised to see all of the bikes! Not to mention the really cool cars. Funny thing was rounding a curve and having like 10 people take my picture. It was weird and I was just trying to look at the road so I did not fall over.

I road through the gap and then turned around and went back through. I had pulled over for a bit just to take it in and watched a TN state cop pull over an S2000. After a great ride I just went home and thought it was a cool ride and a pretty area. It had been 20 years since I had been to Fontana Dam.

Just the other day my memory was jarred by reading some thread on ninjette.org and went to find out who the photographers were. A short time later with Lord Google and I came across www.killboy.com and found some pictures of me! Did I buy one? Hell ya! How cool. If you have some time and have not checked out the website it is really fun.

So, I went back today with my wife and her Mini Cooper S. She really did not want to drive so I had the fun of winding the little car through the curves. The Mini ate it up! It was like it was saying “finally! This is what I was made to do.” Unfortunately the passenger was made ill from the rapidly changing scenery. Sorry Madge!

Here is something to consider… while making our way back through the dragon a tractor trailer (with an oversized load carrying a giant Caterpillar!) was f***ing flying through. I could not believe this guy. It was disturbing to think if someone was on a bike and coming around a corner this d-bag would have made them flat. I yanked the steering wheel and pulled all the way over and the truck was still taking up the entire road. I think the guy was having a go at the dragon with a head full of Meth. I was happy to see up at the look-out point that a guy on a super moto made it through the death trap.

THIS IS NO PLACE FOR TRACTOR TRAILERS

I know that this is a public road and should be treated with respect but there is no room for trucks.

The long and short of the story is that I am happy to help facilitate a Ninja 250 gathering next year. It would be cool to perhaps host something here in Townsend as well. For those considering the trip you may want to look at the Townsend area for places to stay. It is called “the quiet side of the Smoky Mountains”. The ride from here to Deal’s gap is only about 30 minutes and to get there is a beautiful ride down the Foothills Parkway. We are on the edge of the Smoky Mountains National Park and there are many options from camping, rustic cabins, nice cabins….gigantic homes with majestic views, you get the idea.

I am new to the area but willing to start looking into possibilities for anyone who is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deals gap 2010 hi res.jpg (112.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg mini today.jpg (62.9 KB, 15 views)

Last futzed with by oroboros; December 11th, 2010 at 06:08 AM.
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #24
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
oroboros, that's awesome! Thanks for the heads-up!

Yes, I'm interested in something with a shower and a bed. The cheaper the better, that's about all I'll be doing there...

I'll be looking too, and we can compare notes. I like the idea of Townsend, unless there's already a designated town the 250's are gonna crash during the trip...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #25
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post

I am new to the area but willing to start looking into possibilities for anyone who is interested.
Thanks!
That's good to know. I went by one of the Cycle Gear stores a few weeks back. While I was in there I asked the manager if they sponsored or participated in motorcycle events. I told him about Deals Gap and he said that he does support events. Basically if the event was closer to his store he'd help organize what we wanted (fund raiser, promo items, etc.) He said the Knoxville TN store is closer and it is highly likely that that store would participate, however someone has to do the leg work and ask them. Do you think you could see what they are willing to do? (if you can) Keep us posted.

Old December 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #26
oroboros
GDTRFB

I can check into this. Also there is a Kawasaki dealer in Alcoa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Thanks!
That's good to know. I went by one of the Cycle Gear stores a few weeks back. While I was in there I asked the manager if they sponsored or participated in motorcycle events. I told him about Deals Gap and he said that he does support events. Basically if the event was closer to his store he'd help organize what we wanted (fund raiser, promo items, etc.) He said the Knoxville TN store is closer and it is highly likely that that store would participate, however someone has to do the leg work and ask them. Do you think you could see what they are willing to do? (if you can) Keep us posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last futzed with by oroboros; December 11th, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

Old December 11th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #27
nerobo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): '04 ninja 250, '02 ninja 500, '05 z1000, '93 cbrr 900

First post! It's on my calendar. Went to the Gap with my 250 this past summer from Atlanta. I have four bikes and I like them all but the 250 has the most comfortable riding position (and best mpg!). There's lots of great rides and POI's in north GA. A favorite off-beat place to check out is Camp Merrill near Dahlonega where Ranger candidates do their mountain phase training. The camp is in a national park. Not exactly opened to the public, but the front gate guard has let me ride down to the drill field both times I've been there. Each time I was fortunate enough to see America's finest being put through some pretty sucky stuff. Got to the Gap late in the day. Just made one trip, down and back, as it was getting dark. Real late getting back home. Awesome!
nerobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #28
oroboros
GDTRFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerobo View Post
First post! It's on my calendar. Went to the Gap with my 250 this past summer from Atlanta. I have four bikes and I like them all but the 250 has the most comfortable riding position (and best mpg!). There's lots of great rides and POI's in north GA.
Welcome! 4 bikes North GA mountains into TN/NC is beautiful. See you in August

Old December 11th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #29
jax
Lifelong Rider

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): mine-> '04 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600,'08 Ninja 250 / hers-> '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 800, '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Well since the wife and I only live an hour or so away we will prolly have to visit. Also I know a couple of people that work at Kaw Corporate in Cali and they help me out with Vulcan rallies so I will tell them about this
jax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #30
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post
Well since the wife and I only live an hour or so away we will prolly have to visit. Also I know a couple of people that work at Kaw Corporate in Cali and they help me out with Vulcan rallies so I will tell them about this
That would be great. Thanks and keep us posted.

Old December 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #31
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Deals Gap August 4th-7th 2011

Looks like August 4th-7th 2011 will be the dates to pencil in on your calendars. Saturday the 6th will probably be the large meet & greet and group ride day.

Currently there are a few folks working behind the scenes to get some things done for this. Your help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully the new dates will help in the planning. What ever it is you do, keep us posted

For those that are planning to go on the trip to Deals Gap, here is some information about the area.

Deals Gap Recommended Area Accommodations

http://www.dealsgap.com/area-information.htm

Hotel and Camping

http://www.dealsgap.com/motel.htm

Maps and Directions

http://www.dealsgap.com/maps.htm

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #32
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I have been there several times in my cars, and have been planning a bike trip up there in 2011. I might just have to make this my week to go. August can be REALLY hot and uncomfortable up there, but lots of groups do rallies there in the summer so I guess we'll survive. LOL.

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #33
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
I have been there several times in my cars, and have been planning a bike trip up there in 2011. I might just have to make this my week to go. August can be REALLY hot and uncomfortable up there, but lots of groups do rallies there in the summer so I guess we'll survive. LOL.
Not hot so much as humid Its only 80f and you sweat like you've just run a mile while sitting on the bike doing nothing. Your skin gets really sticky. I suggest bringing a lighter well vented jacket so the air can pass through and a camel back.

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #34
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Not hot so much as humid Its only 80f and you sweat like you've just run a mile while sitting on the bike doing nothing.
Exactly!
Of course I live in Tampa so I'm pretty used to that.

EDIT: I was there on the last weekend in July a few years ago and we were DYING until we found a lake to go swimming in. It was in the high '90's.

Old December 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #35
scorch
ninjette.org guru

hopefully we will get a good turn out!

Im hoping we get some people from all over the place, it would be great to have a few people from the west coast. Maybe get a prize together for the ninja 250r rider who rode the most to get to deals gap.

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #36
oroboros
GDTRFB

As I am considering reaching out to some local companies for possible support I wonder what other sponsorship ideas you all might have. I like the idea that is the 25th year for the Ninja and it seems logical that Kawasaki would get behind it. Bottom line is how will the support/donation sell more of what ever product/service they offer.

Is there a core group of poeple working on this that I should communicate with so that anything that I might do is not redundant?

It looks like there are other forums talking about this as well... though I am only on here, as it is I probabaly spend more time than I should

Also, the folks at Deals Gap are sure to be wealth of information as they host these kinda things for a living.

This morning here in East TN there was ice and snow covered roads and by noon it was 54 degrees. If it was not raining I would have pulled the bike out for quick ride.

Old December 16th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #37
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Sounds like fun! One of these years I'll make it back east to Deals Gap, not sure if this will be the one, but it's on the list.
why don't you start something for the west coaster?

I'd do it, but I don't have much pull around here.

Old December 21st, 2010, 01:46 AM   #38
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Thats a really long time from now, but If I still have my bike next August I will be there.

Old December 21st, 2010, 08:59 AM   #39
scorch
ninjette.org guru

it will be here before you guys know it!

Old December 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM   #40
oroboros
GDTRFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch View Post
it will be here before you guys know it!

The weather warmed up in East TN today and melted away all that nasty snow so I took a ride out to Deals Gap. There were lots of bikes out today enjoying the weather. I have a feeling that I am not going to park my ninjette for the winter but just wait for these choice days to get out while I can.

So, keep these dates on your calendar. Deals gap is a great ride and every time reminds of my lack of experience. I got out of the way for a couple larger bikes (and more experienced riders) and also for a pick up truck that was riding my butt. It's funny how after you go through the Dragon a few times that the "regular" roads seem so straight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000214.jpg (82.3 KB, 4 views)