ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:30 AM   #1
james250ninja
james250ninjette.newbie

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): 1986 ninja 250

Smile air filter

ok i put on a d&d slip on pipe

pulled the snorkel

shimmed my needles 2 3mm washers under each needle

now i want too put in a k-n- filter(no pods) just the filter

now if i do that do i need to put a jet kit in when putting on a k-n filter ..

or can i leave it how i have it as i mention above..
james250ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250r FI

Only my opinion but you could just spend half your money with a Pipercross filter...its also just drop in...same eficiency...half the price.

Mine is the FI version but I dont have powercommander (same as jet kit in carbs I think) and it runs really fine so i dont think you need to do that.
Ricmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricmon View Post
...Only my opinion but you could just spend half your money with a Pipercross filter...its also just drop in...same eficiency...half the price.
+1
As long as you have the airbox in you should be fine.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

+1 for pipercross (and thanks blue for introducing me to them)
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:52 AM   #5
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

so i put in a k&n filter. Do i have to rejet? I hear a lot of "no's" and a few "yes". not sure which is right.
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregamer476 View Post
so i put in a k&n filter. Do i have to rejet? I hear a lot of "no's" and a few "yes". not sure which is right.
From what I have read...you only need to shimm

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

what's the filters model #? Pipercross doesn't have 250's listed on their website.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Search for ZX250

Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

P/N: MXP166
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9426
see my review on the Pipercross Air Filter http://www.ninja250forum.com/forum/i...26046#msg26046

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM   #10
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I have K&N replacement filter, no snorkel, slip-on Hindle, and 3 washers under the needles. Runs great...

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM   #11
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth250 View Post
I have K&N replacement filter, no snorkel, slip-on Hindle, and 3 washers under the needles. Runs great...
Same set-up as him but I got pipercross instead of K&N, I read that the K&N doesn't really increase performance that much.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Tinto
Java Junkie

Name: Tinto

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R and 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Thanks DaBlue for your review on the various air filters. After reading it I decided to replace my stock filter with a Pipercross.

It was a little difficult finding a US based retailer that sold both the filter and the cleaning kit, or so I thought. When I checked online with Calsportbike.com (now named www.bluemonkeymotorsports.com) they didn't have a filter listed for a Ninja250. They do however have the non-aerosol cleaning kit listed for $21.00.

I did find one company selling Pipercross aerosol cleaning kits cheaper than BMM but they don't stock motorcycle filters, only car filters. They are http://www.pipercrossusa.com/Filter-...uctinfo/C9000/. It is more cost effective to order two or more kits from them to reduce shipping charges per kit.

Apparently BMM is the, or one of the main US distributors for Pipercross so I gave them a call today and spoke with Laura to ask if they had the air filter for the Ninja 250R (PC filter # MPX166) as it sounded odd to me that they wouldn't. Even though it currently isn't on their web site they do indeed stock it.

When I mentioned PCU's prices for their cleaning kit she didn't just match it but beat it charging me $10 and only $6.00 for shipping out both products. I thanked her and was so impressed at her great customer service I wrote back to the company when I received the order confirmation. The president of BMM, Todd, responded to my personal message and told me that he gave Laura a bonus as this was the second compliment today she received.

Nice people to purchase from! They have my repeat business.

Last futzed with by Tinto; January 25th, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Tinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #13
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

So do I really have to shim the needles when changing to a K&N filter? I have no idea how to do that, so how much would it cost to do the shims at the dealer?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
...Thanks DaBlue for your review on the various air filters. After reading it I decided to replace my stock filter with a Pipercross.
Your Welcome. I have dealt with Pipercross USA and the do have great customer service. BTW I also use Maxima Fab-1 Spray-On Filter Treatment & Maxima Air Filter Cleaner as alternative for cleaning and oiling. Works pretty well and you don't use much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
So do I really have to shim the needles when changing to a K&N filter? I have no idea how to do that, so how much would it cost to do the shims at the dealer?
You can put a K&N filter in, but for better performance results, removing the snorkel and shimming the needles works best. The purpose of this is to add a little more fuel and air for better low to mid-range riding. A competent mechanic should be able to shim the needles and remove the snorkel for you if 1) he's done a Ninja 250 before or 2) he is given directions and the correct washers to do it with.
I think most riders have done it themselves and saved a buttload of cash and gain some experience in wrenching their own bike. If you feel you don't have the necessary skill & confidence to do it, by all means let some who does, do the work for you.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49003
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9465
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #15
NDspd

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Your Welcome. I have dealt with Pipercross USA and the do have great customer service. BTW I also use Maxima Fab-1 Spray-On Filter Treatment & Maxima Air Filter Cleaner as alternative for cleaning and oiling. Works pretty well and you don't use much.

You can put a K&N filter in, but for better performance results, removing the snorkel and shimming the needles works best. The purpose of this is to add a little more fuel and air for better low to mid-range riding. A competent mechanic should be able to shim the needles and remove the snorkel for you if 1) he's done a Ninja 250 before or 2) he is given directions and the correct washers to do it with.
I think most riders have done it themselves and saved a buttload of cash and gain some experience in wrenching their own bike. If you feel you don't have the necessary skill & confidence to do it, by all means let some who does, do the work for you.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49003
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9465
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963
Dude thanks for the info and all. Unfortunately, I have almost no tools and no place at all to take apart my bike, due to living in college dorms. I'd love to learn how to do it, but as of now I couldn't do it. I only want to add a K&N filter not mod the bike. So does that mean I "must" shim the needles?

Old January 25th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Tinto
Java Junkie

Name: Tinto

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R and 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Quote:
You're Welcome. I have dealt with Pipercross USA and the do have great customer service. BTW I also use Maxima Fab-1 Spray-On Filter Treatment & Maxima Air Filter Cleaner as alternative for cleaning and oiling. Works pretty well and you don't use much.
DaBlue,

I was referring to CSB/BMM who have great customer service but PCU were nice to deal with also. I was specifically looking for the non-aerosol Pipercross cleaning kit because pressurized cans containing flammable product are not allowed on airline flights. Since I live way south of the border a friend visiting in the States is kind enough to be my pack mule when he returns here.

NDspd,

Are you sure you want to go with a K&N after reading DaBlue's comparative review on these filters? It sounds to me that the Pipercross is the better way to go. If you haven't read his review you might want to before purchasing a K&N. Here is a little more info on the Pipercross: http://www.calsportbike.com/px/
Tinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #17
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
DaBlue,

I was referring to CSB/BMM who have great customer service but PCU were nice to deal with also. I was specifically looking for the non-aerosol Pipercross cleaning kit because pressurized cans containing flammable product are not allowed on airline flights. Since I live way south of the border a friend visiting in the States is kind enough to be my pack mule when he returns here.

NDspd,

Are you sure you want to go with a K&N after reading DaBlue's comparative review on these filters? It sounds to me that the Pipercross is the better way to go. If you haven't read his review you might want to before purchasing a K&N. Here is a little more info on the Pipercross: http://www.calsportbike.com/px/
Huh, never heard of them before. I'm getting a K&N filter hardly used from a friend. But if I ever need to replace the filter I definitely want to go pipercross. But again, do I need to shim the needle if I put a K&N filter in?

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #18
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
...So does that mean I "must" shim the needles?
No. Just leave the snorkel in and you will be fine.

Old January 25th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #19
NDspd

Quote:
No. Just leave the snorkel in and you will be fine.
Thanks DaBLue for the straight answer.

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #20
WarWolfX0
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE (EX250JAFA)

I bought the same filter and installed it. bike won't rev past 3000 without dieing,
of course i gutted my muffler and made my own aftermarket muffler and i didn't shim (also removed the snorkel).
since i had to removed the carb, i pull the air-box out (installing pods) and am installing a jet kit.
Going to tweak the hell out of it.

Last futzed with by WarWolfX0; January 25th, 2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: snorkel
WarWolfX0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #21
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolfX0 View Post
I bought the same filter and installed it. bike won't rev past 3000 without dieing,
of course i gutted my muffler and made my own aftermarket muffler and i didn't shim (also removed the snorkel).
since i had to removed the carb, i pull the air-box out (installing pods) and am installing a jet kit.
Going to tweak the hell out of it.
Something doesn't sound right, with a better filter more are should be going in. So, it shouldn't be killing it rather it should respond better. Have you had the bike looked at?

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:14 PM   #22
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Name: Roman

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r (2009)

I take it all this shimmieing and rejetting stuff only applies to the non Fuel Injection version of the 250R?

Does anyone have Dyno results before and after a K&N filter?
hackeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:24 AM   #23
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackeron View Post
I take it all this shimmieing and rejetting stuff only applies to the non Fuel Injection version of the 250R?

Does anyone have Dyno results before and after a K&N filter?
Correct it only applies to carbed bikes.

See these dyno charts. Bike was rejetted, has a slip on exhaust , snorkel removed and K&N filter.
http://www.ninja250mods.com/Ninja-20...Ninja-250r.jpg
http://www.ninja250mods.com/Ninja-20...Ninja-250r.jpg

Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM   #24
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That's MPH . That's where I take my bike when there's something I can't do. As far as I know they only have one location. Where's that photo from?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM   #25
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
That's MPH . That's where I take my bike when there's something I can't do. As far as I know they only have one location. Where's that photo from?

http://www.ninja250mods.com

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM   #26
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
COOL!! I know that park!! That's Kendal Hills in the Cuyahoga Valley! That's where I go sledding that's just down the road from me
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote