ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
prettypistol
ninjette.org member

Name: Sally

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2010 Ninja 250r

Coolant in my Oil.. what the flip??

I just bought a bunch of new parts for my 2009 ninja 250, after installing them all I went to turn it on and nothing. Checked everything I could think of and it still wouldn't turn over.

I drained the oil and out comes coolant with it. Could I have a blown head gasket? What else could it be?? Someone please help !!!
prettypistol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech forum

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Sounds to me like you could... Tell us more. What new parts did you put on, and in the process, is there anything you did they MAY have allowed them to mix? I had some coolant in my oil once, but that is just because I spilled some when I had the valve cover off. Do you have a compression testor?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4
prettypistol
ninjette.org member

I put on a new radiator,fan, rear master brake cylinder, slip-on exhaust and a tune up. Nothing that would cause them to mix.

I had it on 2 days ago and it turned on fine but now it just turns and turns and turns but won't turn on.

No i don't have a compression tester, what will that do?

Old March 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypistol View Post
I put on a new radiator,fan, rear master brake cylinder, slip-on exhaust and a tune up. Nothing that would cause them to mix.

I had it on 2 days ago and it turned on fine but now it just turns and turns and turns but won't turn on.

No i don't have a compression tester, what will that do?
I'm not sure what you mean.... the fan won't turn off?

Why the new radiator/fan?

I'm not 100% possitive, as this is getting to the limits of my experience, but I think a compression testor would help trouble-shoot your head gasket. I got one from HF for around $20. Just make sure you get one with a connector that is sized/threaded the same as your spark plugs.

Old March 18th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

How much coolant in the oil?

Old March 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #7
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

BEFORE YOU TRY TURNING YOUR ENGINE OVER ANYMORE!! PULL YOUR SPARK-PLUGS!! Your cylinders may be full of coolant if your head gasket is blown. Trying start your engine while it is hydro-locked could seriously damage it farther. So start with pulling the plugs. No coolant in cylinders? Check all your safety/kill-switch wires. You may have loosened them while working on your bike. Did you disconnect your battery when you worked on it? Did you tighten the cables afterwards? Hope it turns out to be something simple. Keep us posted.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You're not really giving enough info.
What kind of tune up did you have and who did it? Were the valves adjusted?
Are there any other coolant leaks on the engine? What was the reason for changing the radiator and fan?
How many miles on the engine?
What color was the oil and did it smell like coolant or gas?
Are you using the choke?
Was the bike stored for a while?
How hard do you ride the bike and has it ever overheated?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
prettypistol
ninjette.org member

Ok let me give you guys more info, my bike was wrecked by my brother. He hit a deer. Massive body damage, radiator smashed, fan smashed, rear set torn off.

Which leads to me having to replace the radiator and the fan. Now i also had my carbs cleaned because it had sat for a good 2 months. Haven't had a valve adjustment yet but it may need one soon.

One of the first things I did was pull the plugs, no coolant was in there. I have spark on both. I thought it was my coiling but nope it's not.

About half a cup of coolant was in my oil when i drained it.

No wiring was loosened or even taken off, I simply decided to swap old parts with new ones and do a regular oil change and oil filter change.

Tried using the choke, nothing happened. Shut the choke off and still nothing. the motor turns but won't turn on.

If you guys need more info, feel free to ask. Any comments or ideas will help!

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
..., my bike was wrecked by my brother. He hit a deer. Massive body damage, radiator smashed, fan smashed, rear set torn off.

Which leads to me having to replace the radiator and the fan. Now i also had my carbs cleaned because it had sat for a good 2 months. Haven't had a valve adjustment yet but it may need one soon.

One of the first things I did was pull the plugs, no coolant was in there. I have spark on both. I thought it was my coiling but nope it's not.

No wiring was loosened or even taken off, I simply decided to swap old parts with new ones and do a regular oil change and oil filter change.

Tried using the choke, nothing happened. Shut the choke off and still nothing. the motor turns but won't turn on.
Is it possible you may have some bad gas or not enough gas in the bowls? Your head may be warped from the wreck. Some torquing of the frame could have taken place, especially since you had fan and radiator damage. If it is still warped, it will be evident as soon as the bike is running again. The other possibility is a bad water pump or seal.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #11
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

If you have spark, then your not getting fuel. Check if you are getting fuel to the carbs,(open float bowl drains)Turn you petcock to prime so your carbs fill with fuel. Try a little raw gas down the carbs. If you can get it to fire then it is a carb/fuel problem.

As for coolant leak. Do any of your auto parts stores have a tool loan service? Here in Canada, Canadian Tire shops loan specialty tools at not charge just a returnable deposit. If so get a coolant system tester, you can pressurize the system and look for leaks without running the engine. Has a gauge so it will show a drop in pressure if there is a leak.

Good luck
Keep us posted.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #12
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

So has it run at all since the accident?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Ok let me give you guys more info, my bike was wrecked by my brother. He hit a deer. Massive body damage, radiator smashed, fan smashed, rear set torn off.

If you guys need more info, feel free to ask. Any comments or ideas will help!
Wow. That makes a difference. I'd start with KELPHYNs advice. just putting it on prime should help your carbs get a flow.

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
prettypistol
ninjette.org member

Ok so im positive its a blown gasket and a warped head. anyone know how to get my gasket out of my 2009 250 ninja?

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM   #15
headshrink

Quote:
Ok so im positive its a blown gasket and a warped head. anyone know how to get my gasket out of my 2009 250 ninja?
Why are you convinced the head is warped?

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM   #16
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
If that's really the issue you're better off pulling the engine out of the frame.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM   #17
headshrink

Depending on how bad it is, and if you do have to have a shop do work, don't forget new (used) 250 engines CAN be cheaper. I'm not suggesting that is what I think you should do, just know it is an option if things start to get expensive.

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #18
prettypistol
ninjette.org member

I took it to a friends motorcycle shop to get it confirmed. I want to do the work myself and started to look for a free manual for my make and model but do i really have to remove the motor from the frame?

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM   #19
headshrink

Quote:
I took it to a friends motorcycle shop to get it confirmed. I want to do the work myself and started to look for a free manual for my make and model but do i really have to remove the motor from the frame?
Yup.

Of course if your head is warped you'll have to get it machined.... I haven't a clue what that costs.

Old March 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #20
prettypistol
ninjette.org member

Hey sooo i dropped my motor outta my bike tore it down to get the heads measured and check out the "bad gasket". the gasket looks fine! the top and the bottom gasket, the heads don't even look warped either so i think you might be right about the water pump being out. im going to check it today but how will i know if it's bad?

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #21
headshrink

The water pump seal is a good thought.... I didn't think of that. You don't sound confident about the head being warped. I thought your friends shop confirmed it? Although I guess to REALLY confirm it they would have to pull it out and measure. Take a good (straight) metal ruler to lay across it, and measure any gaps with feeler gauges. Maybe you've done this, but I have no idea what your level of mechanical knowledge/skill/experience is. If you've already done this, your k/s/e is probably greater than mine.