ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Question Fuel line came loose from somewhere?

So I finally get the money and the parts needed to get my bike running again after two years of sitting in the garage.

I drained the tank with a siphon hose to get the 2 year old bad gas out, then put in 2 gallons of fresh gas.

I hooked up the new battery, turn the key, and hit the start button.

That's when I look down and see fuel draining from this hose....

It was stuffed under the tank mount crossbar, not hooked up to anything, the open end pointing down toward the underside of the battery compartment.

If I turn the petcock to PRI it leaks fuel endlessly non-stop. If I leave the petcock in the ON position, it only leaks when I hit the start button.

Where did this fuel line come loose from, and would it be something that could happen by itself, or would it require some outside "assistance" (a.k.a. deliberate sabotage) for it to come loose like that???

Now there's fuel residue all over the place which I hope won't be a problem when I can finally get things running again. I really don't feel like turning into a rolling fireball
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:05 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
So I finally get the money and the parts needed to get my bike running again after two years of sitting in the garage.

I drained the tank with a siphon hose to get the 2 year old bad gas out, then put in 2 gallons of fresh gas.

I hooked up the new battery, turn the key, and hit the start button.

That's when I look down and see fuel draining from this hose....

It was stuffed under the tank mount crossbar, not hooked up to anything, the open end pointing down toward the underside of the battery compartment.

If I turn the petcock to PRI it leaks fuel endlessly non-stop. If I leave the petcock in the ON position, it only leaks when I hit the start button.

Where did this fuel line come loose from, and would it be something that could happen by itself, or would it require some outside "assistance" (a.k.a. deliberate sabotage) for it to come loose like that???

Now there's fuel residue all over the place which I hope won't be a problem when I can finally get things running again. I really don't feel like turning into a rolling fireball
First of all whenever there is a fuel leak call the EPA and HAZMAT. If you get no answer or a recording (remember they are government agencies) call the fire department. If you are a smoker please refrain from such delight until the situation is fully under control.

Second, stop and think about fuel lines. They start at the tank and end at either a carburetor or a fuel pump.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:19 AM   #3
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
First of all whenever there is a fuel leak call the EPA and HAZMAT. If you get no answer or a recording (remember they are government agencies) call the fire department. If you are a smoker please refrain from such delight until the situation is fully under control.

the hose is 6" long, its obviously coming off of your vacuum operated petcock. hook it up to the carb and start riding.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post

the hose is 6" long, its obviously coming off of your vacuum operated petcock. hook it up to the carb and start riding.
The hose is way more than 6 inches long, and it's not coming from the petcock at all, it's coming from somewhere under the front of the tank.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:17 PM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I hate it when important hoses come loose. Can ruin your whole afternoon.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:19 PM   #6
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
The hose is way more than 6 inches long, and it's not coming from the petcock at all, it's coming from somewhere under the front of the tank.
well, that's strange, it sounds like its acting like the supply hose!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #7
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:

That definitely sounds like it's from the petcock. Take some pics that show hose routing.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #8
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

In absence of photos, does the bike run with the hose plugged?
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #9
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
It won't start at all. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow after I take the fairings off and see where the hose is really coming from. It's supposed to be nice this weekend before it gets stupid-cold again and I REALLY WANT TO RIDE before I have to freeze my butt off working in that cold

Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I just tried this, it sounds like it really wants to start when I plug the hose, but if it does get started it only runs for a second before shutting down by itself again. I pulled the choke to full and it got a little better but the battery ran out of kick by that point so I had to give up.

I think the recent cold snap may have sapped some juice from the battery so I'll put it on the charger and try again tomorrow.

I'm really hoping that I don't have to take the carbs apart just to clean them.

EDIT: Charged the battery up overnight and got the bike started....but....the bike will only run on full choke and won't go above 4000 RPM before it cuts off and dies completely.

Last futzed with by Kurgan; November 23rd, 2014 at 11:30 AM.