Counter Steering a Bicycle

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans...g/Steering.htm
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM   #2
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

A long section of road near my house was finally repaved about a week ago. Months of it being down to dirt. I guess it was important to start that stimulus project and proudly display the sign, but finishing it wasn't a priority. Anyway I digress, riding it last night with no one else around let me work on a couple of different lines around the corners. Slight pressure on the bars, heavier pressure on the bars, moving to the side of the seat, weighting the outside peg, etc. Then the wind came howling in from the side. I find an odd enjoyment of riding a bike somewhat leaned over, in a straight line. Maybe I need a sail boat.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The same principles apply for riding a bicycle as it does for a motorcycle.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I totally agree.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5
kchava
ninjette.org member

Name: Krystle

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

wow that's too funny. that link is from a physics professor i had at berkeley. he would wear his tight bicycle pants and clip-in shoes to lecture. he comments here on the physics of why bicyclists hate to stop at stop signs. http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...icyclists.html
kchava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #6
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Krystle, welcome to the Ninjette forum. Go to the New Members section and tell us more about yourself!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
After you get the counter steering thing worked out and you are comfy riding around corners . Then try counter steering with only one arm/hand. By that I mean keep both hands on the bars but consciously steer only using inputs from the arm on the inside of the turn .
In other words when turning left .Counter steer with the left arm . When turning right counter steer with the right arm.

It is from Keith Codes twist of the wrist book .
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
After you get the counter steering thing worked out and you are comfy riding around corners . Then try counter steering with only one arm/hand. By that I mean keep both hands on the bars but consciously steer only using inputs from the arm on the inside of the turn .
In other words when turning left .Counter steer with the left arm . When turning right counter steer with the right arm.

It is from Keith Codes twist of the wrist book .

agreed. that negates the post in the other thread that countersteering is pushing down on the bar.
now how about countersteering a razor scoolter. I can't ride one of those to save my life.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #9
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I don't know why they say push down to turn a bicycle . It confused me for years. Maybe it has to do with drop bars I don't know . I do know that the all two wheeled vehicles act the same . the steering head turns right and left .

When you go to turn you steer the bike to the right it will lean to the left that is what turns the bike. It is the leaning part that gets you around the corner.

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #10
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I don't know why they say push down to turn a bicycle . It confused me for years. Maybe it has to do with drop bars I don't know . I do know that the all two wheeled vehicles act the same . the steering head turns right and left .

When you go to turn you steer the bike to the right it will lean to the left that is what turns the bike. It is the leaning part that gets you around the corner.
Because if you push down, it does nothing but waste energy, so it effectively smooths out ham-fisted input as pushing down on that bar will do nothing but stop you pushing the bar forward with all your might.

You can tell people to be smooth all you want, some people just are not. If you tell them to push down and forward it at least cuts there forward input in half.

Old November 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #11
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
now how about countersteering a razor scoolter. I can't ride one of those to save my life.
Agreed, they are dangerous, my kids have both had pretty bad wrecks. It's the little tiny tires, IMO. So twitchy.

Countersteering is mainly used to get a two-wheeler to LEAN, so you can TURN. On the scooters with the low deck, and high bars, you can just lever the thing into the lean, countersteering isn't the main force to initiate the lean. You almost just hold the bars straight, and move (not turn) them side to side. There's probably some CS'ing going on, but not much.

Now a RIP-STICK, that's a crazy Two-wheeler. Two casters, and no bars. Weird
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #12
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
One think for people with kids. Dint give your kid a tricycle or training wheels. The child will ride it around and find that when they turn right the right the bike turns right . Then when they get two wheels you will see they wobble down the sidewalk with dad running behind. They have to unlearn the dynamics of multi track vehicle.

Instead get the child a very low two wheeled bike without pedals. The will walk it around and drift with feet up . Then when they go to a pedal bike it will be natural

Old November 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #13
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchava View Post
wow that's too funny. that link is from a physics professor i had at berkeley. he would wear his tight bicycle pants and clip-in shoes to lecture. he comments here on the physics of why bicyclists hate to stop at stop signs. http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...icyclists.html
I hate to unclip as well. Gives a lot of motivation to perfect a Track Stand.

Old November 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #14
Sailariel

When I got into bicycling in 2004, I bought a bike that had some iffy OEM tyres. Every time I countersteered I would lose traction and crash. I changed to better tyres and was fine. The EX250R does not need a great amount of input to lean into a turn. Countersteering involves minimum effort. The bike corners incredibely well with little input. This bike has the potential of teaching a person a lot if the person is receptive to being taught. The EX250R is a truly amazing machine. I have been riding for 50 years and this bike is still teaching me. I plan to enroll in a Sport Bike riding school this Spring. As I have said in many of my threads---The EX250R is no beginner`s bike. Master that bike, and you can ride anything. Plan to spend a few years getting there.

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #15
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

hmmmmm. interesting
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote