ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #1
kmcdonald5500
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenny

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

General Used Bike Buying Questions

I was hoping we could get a thread going about general things to look for when buying a used bike off of Craigslist. I don't have a bike yet but im hoping to get one very soon and I have been scanning Craigslist just in case a good deal pops up. But being a complete newbie and knowing almost nothing about engines and bikes in general, i was hoping you guys could give me some tips on what to look for or questions to ask when looking at the bike.

I recently came across an ad just posted on Craigslist last night that probably falls under the "too good to be true" category. Its a 2007 Suzuki GSXR 1000 with 9,100 miles for $2200. The seller is also throwing in 3 helmets, a jacket, and gloves. He doesn't say anything about the condition of the bike but from the pictures it looks almost brand new. I blue booked the value at ~$7300.

I emailed him asking for some more info but if i were to go look at this bike or another used bike in person, what kinds of things should i look for and what questions should I ask?
kmcdonald5500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #2
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

The Craigslist ad is probably a scam, you have a link? As far as buying used just look it over real well to see if it has been dropped and check for any potential leaks or stuff that looks rigged up (except drain hoses, some new riders don't seem to know they have those underneath unless you've been told). Also if the fairings look nice but don't have original stickers (such as if a gsxr was missing the logo) that's another sign it could've been downed but fixed). For a used bike to learn on you don't need anything fancy though since your first won't be your last. And when talking with the owner see how he comes across to see if he sounds like he beat the **** out of it or not. Also ask for maintenance records if they have them.

And are you planning on starting with a 1k?

I tried to sum it up a little since I'm on mobile and I know I missed some points, but Google will have answers as well.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
kmcdonald5500
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
The Craigslist ad is probably a scam, you have a link? As far as buying used just look it over real well to see if it has been dropped and check for any potential leaks or stuff that looks rigged up (except drain hoses, some new riders don't seem to know they have those underneath unless you've been told). Also if the fairings look nice but don't have original stickers (such as if a gsxr was missing the logo) that's another sign it could've been downed but fixed). For a used bike to learn on you don't need anything fancy though since your first won't be your last. And when talking with the owner see how he comes across to see if he sounds like he beat the **** out of it or not. Also ask for maintenance records if they have them.

And are you planning on starting with a 1k?

I tried to sum it up a little since I'm on mobile and I know I missed some points, but Google will have answers as well.
Thanks for your help. I'd prefer to start on a 250 or 300 but im open to other possibilities as long as it makes sense financially. Heres a link to the ad
Its definitely sketchy so if i go look at it, i want to make sure im not going to get screwed.

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4
NinjetteNewfie
ninjette.org member

Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

A mode that changes a 1000 into a 600 or 750?????? Never heard of it....heard of track mode, regular riding mode...but never this????

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_do...a_used_bike%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Safety_...ing_or_selling

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
rc racer
ninjette.org member

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): 2015 R3, 1969 CB160, 2002 TTR125, 2007 KX250F

Make sure to meet and look the bike over in the daytime. The darkness of night can hide many defects. Also bring a flashlight with you so you can inspect all the crevasses. Factory wiring and hose routing has a certain look to it. If it does not look factory thats an indication that it has been messed with and hastely put back together.

Also, another area to check for prior crash damage is the steering stops on the frame and lower triple clamp. These will get damaged in just about any tip over at speed.
rc racer is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
kmcdonald5500
ninjette.org member

Very helpful articles! Thank you.

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You are welcome !

Best luck with the buy.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

We've also put a sticky link at the top of our marketplace area here:

Buying a used motorcycle - What should I check?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #10
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

custom |ˈkəstəm|
adjective
1. used to refer to modifications made after a crash and/or drop to conceal or repair damage.
"I installed custom rearsets, and resprayed the fairings in a custom color."

That single word is a red flag to me. It says the bike has the potential for cosmetic or mechanical issues which were covered up with a sprinkling of "custom". While this isn't always the case, it should lead to more questions such as: "what was wrong with the old parts?". Look for scuffs on the bar ends and sides of the foot pegs. These items get gouged when a bike goes down and can be a telltale sign of a previous mishap. They can't gouge themselves.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #11
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjetteNewfie View Post
A mode that changes a 1000 into a 600 or 750?????? Never heard of it....heard of track mode, regular riding mode...but never this????
Some of the later model gsxr's have different power modes, but it wouldn't be like having a 1k tuned down to a 600 or 750, it just helps reduce some of the power in wet conditions.

By the way, that ad is a scam..
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Don't be put off by a tip, especially if you're on a budget. Most used 250s have been down at least once. I was told to never buy a bike that was so much as dropped at a stop, but I definately would sooner buy from someone who admits it and provides proof of inspection afterward than buy from someone who claims it was never crashed even if you see rashed fairings.

For reference, I bought a bike that was down at fewest, twice. It is fine. But be aware of other hidden damage, which is why that inspection is important.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #13
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

My response from Allyson Rol

OK, yea.......that sounds legit.

Quote:
Hi, first of all I want to thank you for your interest in my 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000. It runs great and recently had all the servicing done on it. With clean title, is in excellent condition ready to ride,all ferings are the original, no scratches or dents, tires are in good condition, aftermarket air filter, scorpion exhaust, scorpio page alarm. It has 9,118 miles. Its a 1000cc but if your a beginner it has a mode so that it can be changed into a 600 or 750. I want to sell with all the gear that includes 3 helmets.
I sell it at this price $2,200, because I just finished the divorce and I am very glad that I took the bike, because it was my ex husbands most precious thing. I don't ask to much for it because I just want to get rid of it ASAP, just want to erase a bad memory and I should get rid of it.
The bike is in Columbia,MO because i live here right now. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the bike and only if you agree to buy it). I will pay for shipping and handling, so there won't be any additional shipping costs for you. If you are interested in buying it please email me your FULL NAME and SHIPPING ADDRESS so we can get the ball rolling!
I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon!

P.S.: First helmet is an original GSX-R icon brand large, great condition, second is an Agv large with a plastic mohawk, like new, the third helmet is a icon brand for girls size small, new, I also have a leather jacket with armor inside, ALPINESTAR BRAND size 46, also a racing jacket icon brand with armor, and for when its hot, I have a armor vest icon brand, new and a pair of gloves also icon brand large, used. All is included with the bike, since I don't need them anymore!
I should have it in my driveway by next weekend.

Old January 11th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #14
kmcdonald5500
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
OK, yea.......that sounds legit.

I should have it in my driveway by next weekend.
I got the same email response early this morning. Definitely a scam!

Old January 11th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Hi, first of all I want to thank you for your interest in my 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000. It runs great and recently had all the servicing done on it. With clean title, is in excellent condition ready to ride,all ferings are the original, no scratches or dents, tires are in good condition, aftermarket air filter, scorpion exhaust, scorpio page alarm. It has 9,118 miles. Its a 1000cc but if your a beginner it has a mode so that it can be changed into a 600 or 750. I want to sell with all the gear that includes 3 helmets.
I sell it at this price $2,200, because I just finished the divorce and I am very glad that I took the bike, because it was my ex husbands most precious thing. I don't ask to much for it because I just want to get rid of it ASAP, just want to erase a bad memory and I should get rid of it.
The bike is in Columbia,MO because i live here right now. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the bike and only if you agree to buy it). I will pay for shipping and handling, so there won't be any additional shipping costs for you. If you are interested in buying it please email me your FULL NAME and SHIPPING ADDRESS so we can get the ball rolling!
I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon!

P.S.: First helmet is an original GSX-R icon brand large, great condition, second is an Agv large with a plastic mohawk, like new, the third helmet is a icon brand for girls size small, new, I also have a leather jacket with armor inside, ALPINESTAR BRAND size 46, also a racing jacket icon brand with armor, and for when its hot, I have a armor vest icon brand, new and a pair of gloves also icon brand large, used. All is included with the bike, since I don't need them anymore!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote