Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old October 16th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Has anyone found..

...Dremel knockoff/duplicate attachment wheels?

As any dremel-tool owner is surely aware ---- the tool is relatively cheap in comparison to the consumables and various wheels/bits/etc. All of the readily available consumables are branded as original dremel equipment, and as such -- have the premium price attached.

I'm looking for something similar to this -- yet without the dremel "brand" or price. These tiny metal cutoff wheels go for 2 dollars apiece. That's almost as much as the full size 4-1/4" angle-grinder cutoff wheels.

I'm visualizing a chinese knockoff, of slightly less but comparable quality. Something along the lines of a 100pk, or a bag of 500.

At two dollars per cutoff wheel, it's cheaper to use a full size grinder as often as possible but due to the size it can be a little unruly for use with delicate projects, thus necessitating the ownership of a dremel.

Old October 16th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #2
corksil

Okay after a little searching I have found this.. Yet it doesn't bear the quick-coupler referred to as the dremel ez-lock.

I'm assuming that the ez-lock design is patented, which is why duplicate/knockoffs are hard to find but I still have hope that someone has been in a similar situation before and found a solution.

Dickering with that little screw to change cutting wheels looks slightly inconvenient.

However, 13 cents apiece is a lot more affordable than 2 dollars per wheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-1-8-M...cAAOSwZA1Zk0Es

Old October 16th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Good that you found some. I've been buying cheap cutoff wheels for decades, but I can't tell you what brand they are. The last stack I got was at a ham radio flea market. You don't need the special locking hub, early Dremel cutoffs were mounted just like the ones in your photo anyway.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I've found thicker heavy-duty cut-off wheels lasts better than thin ones. Both Dremel brands.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #5
corksil

@jim -- yeah, that sounds about right. No identifiable brand and from a flea market. That's precisely the sort of stuff that I'm looking for. I ordered the ones in the picture.. I guess I'll have 100 to experiment with. FWIW these will be used for prepping and cleaning up some welds on an aluminum dirtbike frame.

I haven't found any cutoff wheels which perform perfectly with aluminum as the metal tends to melt and gum up the wheel. Will experiment with slower cutting speeds.

@jac -- Yep. I agree. However I'm trying to find off-label stuff so I don't have to pay the premium price for an item that says "dremel" vs an item with no identifiable manufacturer that performs just as well.

Thanks to you both for the insight.

Old October 16th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
In my experience, cutoff wheels aren't really the right tool for grinding welds. Small sanding drums might work better, and you can use wax on them to keep the aluminum from clogging the grit. You may already know, but there are little drums available for Dremel tools. Also, carbide burrs can work well, again with wax if necessary to keep them from clogging.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote