ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #1
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

DIY - Installing an Auxiliary Fuse Block

I decided to tackle this project over the weekend. I was expecting the worse in terms of fitting things, and having to take more fairings off, but it was relatively simple. Sorry, I didn’t think to take pictures as I was doing it, so all my pictures are of the completed project (or nearly completed), but show the process and steps you need to take.

First you will need to take off the two side black plastic pieces under the seat, and then the seat itself. I forgot to take pictures before hand, but if you once you remove the seat this is what you will find.

I took the two relays out of the brackets (just pull them upward) and tucked them into the right rear fairing to keep them out of the way.

Next it was time to find space for the components we will need. The relay fits nicely up in the area under the rear seat.

The relays we moved and the auxiliary fuse block will sit on the battery hold down.

You’ll notice I used Velcro to secure everything. I’m not fond of making irreversible changes to the bike. If I want to take this off in the future I will only have to remove the Velcro and de-solder a splice and re-solder the original wires back together.

This is the wiring diagram we will be following.

I also had some relay connectors left from one of my car projects so I used them. They didn’t have the right gage wire so I removed the contacts and replaced them with leads that did. If you don’t have access to these you can use individual wires with crimp terminals. I recommend using 14AWG wire for everything but the tap into the horn circuit. For this you can use 20 or 22AWG.

Here you can see my connections to the relay connector. The Yellow/Red wire is power from battery + terminal, to the inline fuse, and then to the relay 30 terminal. The Yellow/Blue wire is from the relay 87 terminal to the positive lug on the fuse block. The Black/Red wire is ground from the relay 86 terminal to the battery – terminal. Finally the Green wire is the trigger wire from the horn switched + to the relay 85 terminal. When you are making your connections make sure that there are not any fuse in the any of the circuits you are working on (horn, and your inline fuse). This will prevent an accidental short to the frame.

The only part of this that is hard (not physically, just mentally because you are cutting into your bike) is splicing to the horn circuit. Using the service manual I found the wire we want is the Brown/White wire shown here. If you remove the fuse you can use a multimeter to check the wire directly across from our trigger wire (circuit is completed by the fuse so the terminal we are using won’t have any power with the fuse out. It should be 0V with the key off and 12V with the key on.

I chose to cut the wire and solder my splice back together. You can also use a crimp connector or a quick splice.

Now that all the connections are made we can hook everything up and test it. Once you reinstall the horn fuse and put a 10A fuse in your inline holder you should see 0V at your ring terminal for the fuse block when the key is of, and 12V when the key is on.

You can see everything hooked up here.

Once I checked everything I taped up my wiring and used Velcro to attach the fuse block and relays to the battery hold down.

I did move my wires around a little bit after the picture to make it look a little cleaner.

Make sure you use dielectric grease in your connections to protect them from corrosion and water. Also make sure you cover the + post on your fuse block. There is room under the seat for everything (yes I checked before I started ), but the fuses toward the front are kind of tight. You might want to save them for last.

Now you are ready to hook up any accessories you might want to run.

Parts List
30A Universal Relay, Dorman P/N 84601 - $7.29
ATC Fuse Block, Bussman P/N 15600620 - $8.59
ATC Inline Fuse Holder, Bussman P/N HHG - $2.39
10 Pack Waterproof 1/4” Ring Terminals for 14-16AWG, Dorman P/N 85210 - $7.39
Wire and Fuses – Approx. $20

Additional Parts not shown in my installation
10 Pack Waterproof 1/4” Female Blade Terminals for 18-22AWG, Dorman P/N 85254 - $8.19 – for connecting accessories to fuse block
10 Pack Waterproof 1/4” Female Blade Terminals for 14-16AWG - $8.19 (est.) – for use in place of relay plug
Assorted Waterproof ring terminals for attaching grounds to frame

Figure on about $50-55 if you don't have any of the pieces already.

Last futzed with by camaroz1985; March 19th, 2009 at 07:55 AM.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Thanks for the writeup. What do you plan on actually hooking up to it?
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #3
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

GPS and an auxiliary outlet for charging stuff.

Old March 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #4
blubyu
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R / 2009 CBR600RR

Thanks for the write up I am going to be doing this in the next couple of weeks and this will be a big help. I don't know much about relays. Is that a pretty common relay you are using? Can I go to any auto parts store and pick one up?

Old March 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #5
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Ryan,

Excellent writeup! How about a parts list with supplier info and rough costs, so those new to wiring will have more courage to attack this project.

Also, could you update your drawing to show the ground wire for the add on fuse block?

Good Job
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #6
camaroz1985

I will add a list of parts tonight, but to answer your question Todd, Yes, you can get this relay at any auto parts store. Look with the driving lights and that sort of thing or with all the fuses.

And to answer your question Sam, there is not a ground wire on the fuse block. Apparently they have changed this from the older ones so now you will have to ground each accessory circuit individually. I will run mine to the frame.

I am only going to be using 2 circuits, but if you were using them all you might want to think about using a grounding bar to get all your circuits attached easier.

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #7
camaroz1985

Parts list added.

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #8
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Ryan - I assume you had most of these parts on hand already. For those wanting to add on more circuits and worried about getting all the necessary parts/materials, check out the following thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11504
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #9
camaroz1985

Yeah I did have most of the stuff, or was using it for other things also.

Thanks for the link. Painless makes some great products.