ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM   #1
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Risers - Brake and Clutch Cable Movement

Hello all,
Just installed my Roaring Toyz risers on my 2009, and ran into trouble with the brake hose and clutch cable.

The front brake hose was tight enough to prevent relocating the right handlebar, so I had to disconnect it from its support clamp. There is a rubber sleeve that holds the hose in the clamp, but I could not move it down. It appears the outer protective hose is actually cut, with the rubber sleeve in series with it. As a result, the only way to move the rubber sleeve would be to move the foot or so of outer rubber hose below it, and friction does not appear to allow for that.

My fix was to move the clamp off to the side, then zip tied the hose in place. Pic below - anyone see any safety / longevity / whatever issues with this?

Finally, the clutch cable was pretty tight after relocation. I disconnected it, reran it outside of the cable catch, and reconnected / adjusted it. Fixed the problem just fine, but again, just wanted to check in to see if there are any issues with the cable swinging in the breeze as pictured.
Hello all,
Just installed my Roaring Toyz risers on my 2009, and ran into trouble with the brake hose and clutch cable.

The front brake hose was tight enough to prevent relocating the right handlebar, so I had to disconnect it from its support clamp. There is a rubber sleeve that holds the hose in the clamp, but I could not move it down. It appears the outer protective hose is actually cut, with the rubber sleeve in series with it. As a result, the only way to move the rubber sleeve would be to move the foot or so of outer rubber hose below it, and friction does not appear to allow for that.

My fix was to move the clamp off to the side, then zip tied the hose in place. Pic below - anyone see any safety / longevity / whatever issues with this?

Finally, the clutch cable was pretty tight after relocation. I disconnected it, reran it outside of the cable catch, and reconnected / adjusted it. Fixed the problem just fine, but again, just wanted to check in to see if there are any issues with the cable swinging in the breeze as pictured.

(Note: The clutch cable is the cable just above the cable catch, which it used to be routed through. Now only the choke cable and wiring harness go through it.)

Thanks!

Last futzed with by NathanF; May 5th, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Put about 100 miles on the bike now with nothing adverse happening. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not what I've done is OK?

I'm most concerned about the brake line.

Thanks,
Nathan

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #3
kkim

just keep a close eye on it for chaffing. it seems like what you've done should work w/o problems, but you never know how things can manifest itself several thousand miles down the road.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #4
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Looks good, I would do whatever is needed to prevent binding.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #5
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Thanks much for both of your opinions - I just wanted someone who knows what they're doing to at least say "should be ok," rather than "WTF, are you trying to kill yourself?

I'll be sure to periodically inspect and make sure all is well.

Thanks,
Nathan

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #6
kkim

what's your impression of the risers with respect to riding position? I assume you didn't slide the forks up into the risers?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #7
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
what's your impression of the risers with respect to riding position? I assume you didn't slide the forks up into the risers?
I did not slide the forks, and the riding position is very comfortable with the risers. Regrettably, I did not get much experience with the stock riding position before switching, so I'm not the best person to give a qualified review of the modification.

Part of the reason for installing them was to help with a problem I was having with helmet binding. When turning my head fully when doing lane changes and such, my RF-1100 helmet would catch on my jacket with its enclosed shoulder armor. I tried a few jackets, same deal. This seemed to help that a bit, though it did not fix it entirely. Just need to get used to swinging my shoulder down simultaneously.

To be honest, the first time I got on my bike, it did not seem like a big change. I have a sneaking suspicion though it would be a huge back saver on a long trip. I put in 60 miles today (only ridden 150 so far, period, so it was a big ride for me) and it was extremely comfortable.

For $60 shipped, it's pretty hard to go wrong!