Go Back   ninjette.org > 2018+ Ninja 400 > 2018+ Ninja 400 General Discussion

Notices

Old February 22nd, 2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Top 10 Features of the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400

When Kawasaki redesigned its smallest Ninja for 2018, the engineers went back to the drawing board and while the motorcycle on your screen may look like a revision in styling, the Ninja 400 has, quite literally, undergone changes from the ground up.

I was fortunate enough to ride the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 recently in Northern California. We spent a day winding our way through the emerald green, rolling hills of Sonoma County on (mostly) pristine backroads as we made our way through sleepy coastal towns en route to our ultimate destination: the race track. Day two was spent turning laps at the, equally as scenic, Sonoma Raceway.

There was so much to take in with all of the changes to the 2018 Ninja that we decided to reduce it down, in this article, to the top 10 features of the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400.

1. Lightweight maneuverability

I really can’t stress enough how is easy to ride the Ninja 400 is. The slightest of input will have the motorcycle turning effortlessly wherever you point it. On our scales, the 2018 Ninja 400 weighs in 15 lbs less than its predecessor at 366 pounds soakin’ wet. Couple this with a more rigid chassis set up and you have a lightweight, stable motorcycle that is an absolute blast to ride.

The larger 41mm Showa fork and the KYB shock do a good job of keeping this nimble motorcycle planted. Of course, if you are looking to build a race bike, you will likely want to stiffen things up in the suspension department.

2. New Chassis

Kawasaki has created an all-new chassis for the Ninja 400 utilizing the same trellis-type frame and concept that is used on its much bigger brother, the Ninja H2. This new frame is said to provide increased rigidity and uses the rigid-mounted engine as a stressed member.

Also new, is the aluminum swingarm mounting plate which bolts to the backside of the engine, also similar to the H2, and eliminates the need for cross members for stabilization. The pivot shaft goes through the mounting plate and bolts directly to the engine, again, for added stability.

3. Another Dimension

Other noteworthy changes in the chassis come from the dimensions section of the spec sheet. The wheelbase has been shortened from 55.3-inches to 53.9-inches and the steering head has been reduced by 2.3-degrees. The 1.4-inches lost in wheelbase and the new 24.7-degree rake angle both contribute to the motorcycle’s quick steering characteristics.

4. Bigger, without being bigger

Probably the most prominent detail of the new Ninja is the 103cc increase in engine size. It has been a bit polarizing. Some wonder when the displacement wars in the lightweight sportbike category will stop, some still say it’s too little, and another few think it’s too much. Although, regardless of your side of the fence on the subject, it’s good to see the new powerplant hasn’t gained hardly any overall size compared to last year’s model.

After riding the Ninja 400 through an average day of twisting backroads, a faster pace at the racetrack and now around town running errands, as said in my review, this is the sweet spot in engine size. The 399cc parallel-twin puts out easy to manage, usable power through the mid-range and it just gets to be more fun once the revs increase. A look at our exclusive dyno run of the Ninja 400 shows the steady increase in horsepower from 2500 rpm all the way to 10,000 rpm.

With the way the engine is tuned, this motorcycle can be a great way to get into motorcycling without being worried about getting tired of it and wanting to sell it after a year or so. I won’t mention names, but more than one of the journalists on our ride were considering ways to get one of the little green meanies in the garage after our test.

5. More Powah!

The boost in cubic centimeters brings more power, but Kawasaki has done well with the tuning of that power, as seen in the chart above. The linear increase in horsepower from 2,500 rpm to 10,000 rpm yields a smooth 44 hp. Having 20 lb-ft of torque available just under 5,000 rpm also lends to the bikes usable mid-range while we see torque peak at 25 lb-ft at 8,200 rpm. Check out the side by side spec chart in our dyno run article to see how that stacks up to the current field of competitors.

6. Still a great entry-level street bike

The performance characteristics of the motor, lightweight handling, extremely light clutch pull, and relatively relaxed ergos of the Ninja 400 come together to create an optimal package for a new motorcyclist to get into sport riding without being overwhelming. The new bump in displacement also will keep riders satisfied as their skills progress. Top that all of with the same MSRP of last year’s model, you’ve got yourself a heck of a deal.

7. A potent track weapon?

You betcha! The Ninja 400 hits its 25 lb-ft of torque at 8,000 rpm and 44hp at 10,000 rpm, which means the engine gives its full potential higher in the rev range. This was evident during our spirited ride through the backroads of NorCal however, we were able to fully exploit these motorcycles at the track.

Putting down the kind of spec sheet that Kawasaki has with this motorcycle, it was certainly out for blood with the Ninja 400’s redesign. Kawasaki also mentioned during the technical presentation that the Ninja 400 is eligible for more than $531,000 in racing contingency in 20 different classes across 10 sanctioning bodies. This further shows, Kawi is serious about the racing potential of this lightweight class.

8. Slip and Assist Clutch

The Slip and Assist clutch make for easy gear changes without the risk of hopping the rear tire. While accelerating the assist function pulls the clutch hub and operating plate together to compress the clutch plates. This is likely the main contributor behind Kawasaki’s claim of a 20% lighter clutch pull. The slipper clutch comes into play when excessive engine braking occurs due to quick or accidental downshifts, forcing the clutch hub and operating plate apart relieving pressure on the clutch plates which reduces back-torque to prevent the rear tire from skidding.

9. Ergos

Kawi modified the ergonomics of the Ninja 400 as well. Handlebars are now 15mm closer to the rider while the footpegs have been moved back 9mm. The seat height hasn’t changed at 30.9-inches however, Kawasaki claims a 30mm narrower seat with padding that is twice as thick as the previous model. The seat does have a tendency to keep you close to the tank with the scooped angle it sits at. At 5-foot 8-inches with a 30-inch inseam I had absolutely no issues feeling confident and planted with my feet down.

10. Stylish

The 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 is a great looking motorcycle with styling reminiscent of larger bikes with larger price points. Styling cues have been borrowed, such as the “chin spoilers” and triple-peak motif tail section, from the Ninja H2. The sharp bodywork is undeniably Ninja and with the KRT graphics option you won’t soon forget Kawasaki’s racing heritage. The Ninja 400 also uses LED lighting throughout to give a more premium aesthetic.

The user interface also offers a quality experience with wires and cables routed neatly out of the way and a good-looking dash offers plenty of information to the rider. As mentioned in my first ride review though, the dash is difficult to read in direct sunlight.

Top 10 Features of the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...

Old January 28th, 2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great article! All good reasons t buy a Ninjette!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2019, 07:53 AM   #3
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Could this be a CBR500r killer?

~60lbs lighter
~4500 higher redline
HP = about the same
Torque = only 3lb-ft less
only ~70 less CC
Aprox $1,000 USD less

I tip my hat to you, Kawasaki.

I would say you REALLY need to sit on each, and test if available, to make your personal decisions. I found my 2014 CBR500r to have AMAZING ergonomics for my aging back and knees (all bikes get Corbin seats asap), and a bit more stable than my 2008 N250r was. Shock and forks were eventually upgraded on the CBR, as they were absolute crap the first couple years, but Honda later improved them SLIGHTLY. I never rode the 300.

I will not compare to my 2014 VFR800... for obvious reasons.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2019, 08:30 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, and CBR500R's suspension geometry looks like touring bike compared to Ninja 400 or RC390. Although Honda has put up largest contingency purse in MA Junior Cup. FIM & MA has also raised its rev-limit to 10,000rpms.

Ninja 400 has been quite an upset on racing circuits. At AFM Rnd-1 last month at Buttonwillow, it circulated significantly faster than Ninja 300, faster than all previous light/midweight-twins including SV650. Even faster than crippled 600s (450) and most of 600 Supersports field. Fastest 400R rider putting in 1:54 times, smoking!

1:54.475 Rocco Flanders Ninja 400R
1:54.963 Jordan Edginton SV-650
1:56.498 Brandon Souza R6-cripple (450)
1:57.333 Dave Moss R6-cripple (450)
1:57:583 Marc Edwards Ninja 400R
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2020, 09:04 PM   #5
thunderkat59
ninjette.org member

Name: Lem

Motorcycle(s): z400, scooters, more than I can remember since 1975

I dont think I have the ability to give you post props yet, but I really appreciate the great info you put up
Looking over articles *after* I get the bike, lol, I have not seen anything bad written about them! Very cool ... I just saw a new 400, and jumped on it, studying it now, sort of backwards, but I like seeing I may have made a rational decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, and CBR500R's suspension geometry looks like touring bike compared to Ninja 400 or RC390. Although Honda has put up largest contingency purse in MA Junior Cup. FIM & MA has also raised its rev-limit to 10,000rpms.

Ninja 400 has been quite an upset on racing circuits. At AFM Rnd-1 last month at Buttonwillow, it circulated significantly faster than Ninja 300, faster than all previous light/midweight-twins including SV650. Even faster than crippled 600s (450) and most of 600 Supersports field. Fastest 400R rider putting in 1:54 times, smoking!

1:54.475 Rocco Flanders Ninja 400R
1:54.963 Jordan Edginton SV-650
1:56.498 Brandon Souza R6-cripple (450)
1:57.333 Dave Moss R6-cripple (450)
1:57:583 Marc Edwards Ninja 400R
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.