ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Fairing Kits in Awesome Colors

Has anyone used these? I hate that Kawasaki doesn't make a white 250 so I was thinking about getting one of these kits in white or one of the other colors if I like it more.

http://stores.ebay.com/Hey-Man-Speed...4.l1513&_pgn=1
JeepSpeed18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

They look awesome. The shipping is almost as much as the kit

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #3
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

Yeah that is the only promblem but it still seems cheaper than repainting the whole bike and you could always switch back to your old color if you got tried of it.

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #4
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I have heard they are pretty ****** when it comes to the fit. But since I have not seen them personally I cannot confirm this.

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #5
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

I was afraid of that.

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #6
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=ebay+fairings
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #7
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I have been considering a fairing kit for $500 total from ebay for my GSXR.
The freaking tail fairing I need OEM alone is $500 so why not.
I'll post it if I decide to do it even though it's not a 250R.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #8
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

dont you still have to paint the tank? what are the chances you can have it painted to match perfect? if thats the case, your probably better off stripping your existing fairings off your bike, and bringing them to a body shop to be sprayed with the tank. if ya got a buddy in the business it'll be even cheaper. in for a penny in for a pound.

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
dont you still have to paint the tank? what are the chances you can have it painted to match perfect? if thats the case, your probably better off stripping your existing fairings off your bike, and bringing them to a body shop to be sprayed with the tank. if ya got a buddy in the business it'll be even cheaper. in for a penny in for a pound.
Just what I was going to say but I left the tab open in the browser and you beat me to it! Oh well, I'll say it anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSpeed18 View Post
Yeah that is the only promblem but it still seems cheaper than repainting the whole bike and you could always switch back to your old color if you got tried of it.
Not really. They all show matching tanks without including a tank cover or even specifying a matching color (no "CP/CT/Island Blue" for example), so you would probably have to get lucky painting the tank and you couldn't just switch right back. It's annoying. They may as well be selling unpainted fairings. It'd be one thing if they offered OEM colors, but only their green seems close.

The least they could do is throw in a painted tank cover.

I DO wonder if group buys could significantly cut down on shipping.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #10
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

even aside from the color issues, i'm not about to whip out a drill to enlarge holes, or deal with body lines that don't look as good as factory, or misaligned mounting tabs, after spending 500 bucks.

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #11
JeepSpeed18
ninjette.org member

Yeah I think I may just have the bike repainted. I would have been able to get the whole bike painted for cheap. Since I'm an automotive student at Boise State I know all the guys who work at the body shop and they would have done it super cheap but they just recently shut down the body shop program which screws me for that option.

Old May 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #12
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX2502008.htm

This is pretty expensive and it comes unfinished, but its not plastic. They make them out of fiberglass it's a lot tougher, plus you can repair it. Quality wise I don't know for sure.

But if you look at some of the applications, these guys don't fool around. They make record breaking type doohikis go fast!!!

Slowly my bike will be evolving into a track only machine, this is 100% in my shopping cart. If along the way I need to replace a panel, I will use one of these. I might get that tail first just to clean up my rear fender, it's nice!
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #13
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

the fiberglass will dent and or possibly crack (dont hold me to the crack part) the second a rock hits it. your better off with oem plastic... and if your repainting, buy used and sand and refinish. also, i wouldnt want fiberglass panels around the motor/exhaust. fiberglass is flamable as afaik, but i'm no expert and don't claim this as fact although it very well may be. also you dont know the heat transfer properties of fiberglass vs abs plastic? if you sit on your bike in the summer after it's baked in the heat, will it be uncomfortable if the fairings are f-glass?

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
If you sit on your bike in the summer after it's baked in the heat, will it be uncomfortable if the fairings are f-glass?
This would be the final stage of track readiness, the bike will never sit in the sun for more than 15-20 minute sessions. I wouldn't sweat about the flammability, these guys seem to be very good at what they do. Plus I haven't seen any oil traps available (bottom piece to catch oil spill in case of catastrophic damage) anywhere else. I believe its mandatory for race bikes.

I assume there won't be a lot of loose debris on race track (rocks hitting fairing) fiberglass doesn't dent, it de-laminates(becomes mushy). Plus 15+ years of surfing, I'm quite capable of doing fiberglass repair. It's cake, plus the fumes get me High!
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Word all over the web is that these are cheap, thin plastic, prone to crack, and the paint is thin enough that it flakes off when you have to bend it to make it fit. Scratches very easily and many requiare additional holes or modifying the existing holes.

Pass.

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #16
vollrathdude
ninjette.org member

Name: jordan

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r se

Fit is brutal and takes some time and finesse to get right. The color on the 2009 green was a little off but not enough to make it look bad. If you have the time to tweak them to install as best as you can they turn out to be a pretty good value. I bought them from the same guy (hey man speed motor) and I don't regret it, as stressful and challenging as it was.
vollrathdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #17
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX2502008.htm

This is pretty expensive and it comes unfinished, but its not plastic. They make them out of fiberglass it's a lot tougher, plus you can repair it. Quality wise I don't know for sure.

But if you look at some of the applications, these guys don't fool around. They make record breaking type doohikis go fast!!!

Slowly my bike will be evolving into a track only machine, this is 100% in my shopping cart. If along the way I need to replace a panel, I will use one of these. I might get that tail first just to clean up my rear fender, it's nice!

For track plastics these are VERY expensive. You can get a set from Hotbodies for <$500 (see 2WheelGuys thread). Catalyst and SharkSkinz also sell good bodywork for it and that more expensive but the glass is better. Heck, the SharkSkinz stuff is even pre-drilled!
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM   #18
kirana
ninjette.org member

Name: BAD

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 Model

for race,just get this item
kirana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 09:12 AM   #19
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirana View Post
for race,just get this item
Being cheap I considered that. Airtech sells just the pan for about $150.

The problem is that at the races we need to tech the bike everyday with the lowers removed. Removing both left and right lowers with the insert pan is a real pain. With the Hotbodies setup you just twist 6 DZUS fasteners and the lower is off. Plus, you need to fill the headlight hole for numbers.

In the end I popped the $500 for a full set of Hotbodies. Glad I did. I've still got the stock panels to sell or use to put the bike back on the street.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 08:06 AM   #20
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Hotbodies are fiberglass.
Those eBay Chinese fairings are abs (so claimed). They have fitment problem so you'll have to play around to have them on.
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM   #21
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
I have heard they are pretty ****** when it comes to the fit. But since I have not seen them personally I cannot confirm this.
Ditto!
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #22
deezyellownutz
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Zx10R 2009 250R

I've dealt with those ebay fairings and you get what you pay for. The plastic is in fact ABS... but very thin and not even throughout. I thought about using those fairings when I decided to repaint the bike. I opted for OEM parts because of the fitment. I had a set for a F4i and they were okay. Definitely if you can't source used OEM parts. I've bought them to fix up bikes and sell them but not for the long run.

Old August 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #23
blantant
ninjette.org newbie

Name: noch

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

my prior experience with chinese ABS fairings

For my old R1 chinese ABS fairings, they just required a little bit of dremeling to fit. Not a big deal. They are indeed ABS and are not appreciably thinner than OEM.

The problem is not the paint but that the clearcoat is very thin. I suppose a good protective layer of clear on a new set of fairings should do the trick.
blantant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantant View Post
For my old R1 chinese ABS fairings, they just required a little bit of dremeling to fit. Not a big deal. They are indeed ABS and are not appreciably thinner than OEM.

The problem is not the paint but that the clearcoat is very thin. I suppose a good protective layer of clear on a new set of fairings should do the trick.
How is the paint not a problem when they don't give you enough info to paint the tank to match nor do they tell you WHICH red or blue or whatever you are buying? VERY unprofessional. Telling you the matching paint is the LEAST they could do. Without that, I'd expect a painted tank cover, especially if you could swap between colors easily, like they claim.

Old August 21st, 2010, 07:11 AM   #25
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Pr...kit-ninja-250/

That kit is kinda insane looking, not sure about the price and if available in white tho, just came across it the other day
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Pr...kit-ninja-250/

That kit is kinda insane looking, not sure about the price and if available in white tho, just came across it the other day
That's a ZXR250 in the picture. See the frame, disc brake, and the swingarm? Tyga makes a body kit for that. The article is well over a year old, so they probably were talking about the "other" 250R.

Old August 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM   #27
Jordan91
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

how much does it usaully cost to get a bike painted?
Jordan91 is offline   Reply With Quote