ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #41
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy2nds View Post
Ok got mine installed tonight. No DIY and pics since its a fairly simple install, but ill cover some things to look out for to save you all some pain and time.

1. I used all the stock hardware from the OEM signals except for the locking nut that comes with the protons which I used.

2. This is fairly obvious, but when you cut the wires that go to the OEM signals the black is always your ground and the green is your hot.

3. You will need resistors, or even better get a new relay from autoparts store should be like $10-$15. why? because these are LEDs and there is not enough load. Therefore your OEM relay thinks theres an open and the rear blinkers wont flash. If youre getting resistors get 8-10 ohm. There are also load balancers that other places sell but I recommend a new relay.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
No pics..it didn't happen
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #42
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #43
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Holy crap John, what flushmounts?!?!?

All I see is one sexy bike.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #44
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Name: Reeeeee

Motorcycle(s): '06 R6/'08 250R

ehhhh.....too lazy and cold to take pics. I was wiring that thing up like a mad man in the garage with my hands freezing trying to crimp everything together.
Sloppy2nds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #45
kazam58

Quick question. I hate electricity and know little about it (besides what I learned in Physics...) If you buy a new relay would it still work with the stock rear signals or would those have to be LEDs too?

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #46
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
Quick question. I hate electricity and know little about it (besides what I learned in Physics...) If you buy a new relay would it still work with the stock rear signals or would those have to be LEDs too?
yup, swap out your stock flasher relay will work...i swapped mine out a year ago when switching to LED signals... no resistor = no heat

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #47
kazam58

Cool.
Man, now that my wrist is semi-functional again my to-do list doubled...

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #48
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
Cool.
Man, now that my wrist is semi-functional again my to-do list doubled...
+1

I cant believe these require another purchase. F^ck.. for the price!!!!!
I swear it said they were internally balanced for use right outta the box..These r bs. Look good though

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #49
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryne

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
+1

I cant believe these require another purchase. F^ck.. for the price!!!!!
I swear it said they were internally balanced for use right outta the box..These r bs. Look good though
That's exactly what I was thinkin' when I saw Sloppy talkin' about resistors! The description on NewEnough definitely says you don't need resistors. WTF!?

http://www.newenoughhp.com/parts/tur...n_signals.html
"Internal load balancer prevents the Proton LED’s from “fast flashing” – No resistor’s necessary!"

Mine should be in soon. I'm wiring them without resistors to check first. If that doesn't work NE is gonna be hearing from me!

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #50
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynownd View Post
That's exactly what I was thinkin' when I saw Sloppy talkin' about resistors! The description on NewEnough definitely says you don't need resistors. WTF!?

http://www.newenoughhp.com/parts/tur...n_signals.html
"Internal load balancer prevents the Proton LED’s from “fast flashing” – No resistor’s necessary!"

Mine should be in soon. I'm wiring them without resistors to check first. If that doesn't work NE is gonna be hearing from me!
Yeah ya know. "WTF" $100!!!! Get out of here maniacs....they're two little f-ing lights!
Post back if you wire these up W/O flasher relays and they work.
If they don't then please gently inform NE so they know then send a nasty Email to high tech speed telling them they sould include the frickin resistors or advertise if they're needed or not. crap. but they still look good f-ers

Last futzed with by Buffalony; April 10th, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #51
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Yeah ya know. "WTF" $100!!!! Get out of here maniacs....they're two little f-ing lights!
Post back if you wire these up W/O resistors and they work.
If they don't then please gently inform NE so they know then send a nasty Email to high tech speed telling them they sould include the frickin resistors or advertise if they're needed or not. crap. but they still look good f-ers
That's the plan.

Old April 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #52
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

I agree....the site should get rid of the "no resistors necessary" part of the description. Heres why, they need resistors or new relay per Mike at HTS. "The Proton lights have a timing circuit that measures the blink rate of the OEM flasher and will adjust their blink speed to compensate. They don’t actually add load so the flasher will generally still speed up when the Proton lights are installed."

Which is a problem on our bikes because almost on every other bike in the entire world an open in the flasher circuit constitutes a faster flash. Well in Kawasaki's infinite wisdom they changed the relay for the 250R so it will be steady instead. Im pretty positive the other Kawis have the "fast flash if open circuit" thing too.

Lastly, If you guys decide to go with these blinkers I really recommend getting the new relay instead of going the resistor route.

I feel your guys pain....I was pretty pissed off myself when I had to go for a relay run to the autoparts store. I felt the same way wondering what was going on and why it wasn't working but, then it all made sense after experimenting a little. I didnt mind getting the relay since I plan on getting the CA integrated tails and that will cause the same problem so I would have had to replace the relay anyways.

Last futzed with by Sloppy2nds; April 8th, 2009 at 07:33 PM.

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #53
randomwalk101
self wrencher

So how is the fitment? Visibility from the front???? Any review, feedback??????
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #54
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Fitment and finish quality are top notch. Visibility is excellent, with the rider off these can be seen from front, side, and rear of the bike. I didnt expect anything less from these guys on overall quality since I've owned their blinkers and know a lot of people that have the same on many different bikes. I am a little dissapointed in the fact that it does need something additional to complete the install and their website says no resistors needed. For the 250s I think they need to remove that part in the description since I dont think they will change the circuitry from the way it is now.

Pics are attached on first post so they dont get lost in this thread. They are from my phone so theyre not the greatest.

Old April 8th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #55
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

hi guys,
i'm new here (rookie rider) and looking to get an 09 250 soon.
they are very nice. how much do they run for?
i've seen the color on the rims of a lot of bikes. are they painted on or tape?
thanks,
tn
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #56
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Lookin' good Sloppy, just realized you posted pics on the first post. OK, so at this point I'm hopin' I can wire the resistors from my rear signals into the same parallel as these... already bummin' 'bout this.

Old April 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #57
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
hi guys,
i'm new here (rookie rider) and looking to get an 09 250 soon.
they are very nice. how much do they run for?
i've seen the color on the rims of a lot of bikes. are they painted on or tape?
thanks,
tn
Can't answer your price question, but as for the colour on the rims most people get rim tape, the only painted rim I know of is Beast's bike. Heres a picture, hope he doesn't mind.

And the flushmounts are look good mate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2464264260_2c70c2b092.jpg (101.4 KB, 66 views)

Old April 9th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #58
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
Can't answer your price question, but as for the colour on the rims most people get rim tape, the only painted rim I know of is Beast's bike. Heres a picture, hope he doesn't mind.

And the flushmounts are look good mate.
wait i'm confused. isn't rim tape goes inside your tire to protect the tubes?
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #59
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
wait i'm confused. isn't rim tape goes inside your tire to protect the tubes?
No, rim tape or rim 'stripes' are a cosmetic modification. Some can be considered a safety mod because they are reflective. But, in general, they are just a colored strip that goes around the wheel between the spokes and the tire.

Here's one of the first google image hits:

http://image06.webshots.com/6/5/81/9...6GOaXHz_ph.jpg

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #60
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Pretty much what Ryne said, Rim tape is for looks but reflective ones can help a rider be more visible at night time.

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #61
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Ok, so back to the point.
I just spent about 40 minutes on the phone with New Enough as well as the ‘Proton’ guys. NE had called me because my shipment was lost. They promptly refunded my money for shipping, and assured me they would be here soon. I took that opportunity to ask Nate what the situation was with this whole ‘do the Proton Flushmounts require resistors thing.’ He admitted that his electro-mechanical knowledge was minimal. He also said that due to bikes being different, even within the same manufacturer AND model, he is constantly arguing with customers about this issue because there isn’t just one fix for everything. He put me in contact with the people that manufacture these lights.

So I got in contact with Mike ‘the Proton guy’ and started asking him questions. We were talking specifically about my bike and, as some of you may know, I have LEDs in the rear and a resistor from eBay that I’m using to compensate the load and correct the flash rate. So I asked him if I would need resistors for the front, if I could wire the resistors I have in the back to the front also, or if they would just work without any extra? He told me this: the Proton Flushmounts do not have resistors on the circuit board. They do, however, have some means of sensing the flash rate and compensating for it. Mike told me that they MIGHT work for the front, but would probably cause the rears to flash at a different and faster rate. He then suggested I do what Sloppy said and replace my flasher relay with one from Pep Boys/Auto Zone. I then asked him what the difference was. He told me that our bikes/bikes in general have a mechanical relay and these replacement ones from the store are electronic and intuitive, and would therefore correct flash rate for both the front at the rear.

OOOK that was long… sorry

At this point I have a question for Sloppy: Did you replace your signal relay BEFORE you got the Protons? If so, did you still need resistors? What is your entire signal setup (types of lights all around), resistors, relays etc.?

PS My lights will be here no later that Saturday, hopefully I can get them installed and get a real answer to all this soon. I will keep you guys updated.

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #62
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Talking

My setup:
-No resistors
-changed to new relay
-proton front flushmounts
-Stock Rear for now

Ryno, for your specific bike I recommend replacing the relay and removing that resistor you already have for the rear LEDs. The only reason you put resistors on a relay is to put load on the circuit so the stock relay thinks the entire circuit is good and close or fine and dandy. Ideally you probably should have changed your relay when you changed your rears to LEDs. Once the stock circuit senses an open nothing flashes. Which is what it is designed to do so you know that a bulb is out. Technically you could also add more resistors to your circuit when you install the protons to add more load. The problem with resistors is the heat. A few bucks more and you will have a new relay that will work great and you can remove all the crappy looking resistors (less work). Hope this helps and somewhat easy to understand I explained the best I can.

Old April 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #63
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
My setup:
-No resistors
-changed to new relay
-proton front flushmounts
-Stock Rear for now

Ryno, for your specific bike I recommend replacing the relay and removing that resistor you already have for the rear LEDs. The only reason you put resistors on a relay is to put load on the circuit so the stock relay thinks the entire circuit is good and close or fine and dandy. Ideally you probably should have changed your relay when you changed your rears to LEDs. Once the stock circuit senses an open nothing flashes. Which is what it is designed to do so you know that a bulb is out. Technically you could also add more resistors to your circuit when you install the protons to add more load. The problem with resistors is the heat. A few bucks more and you will have a new relay that will work great and you can remove all the crappy looking resistors (less work). Hope this helps and somewhat easy to understand I explained the best I can.
Thanks for the info! I totally know what you're saying. I've been reading a lot about this lately, not to mention it's a pretty big part of my studies for the MS degree.

I went out and bought a flasher. I just bought the first 2 pin one I saw... so I'm not totally sure it will work, but I was bored and needed some where to ride. I'll compare it to the stock one before I open the package so I can take it back if I need.

Protons will be here no later that Saturday, so I'll find out if all this works soon.

Here is a picture of it:

If you can't read it, it says: FL32, Electronic Flasher, Truck and RV, Variable Load, HEAVY DUTY

Old April 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #64
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Protons for the fronts...do you guys swap out LEDs signal for the rear too?

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #65
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Protons for the fronts...do you guys swap out LEDs signal for the rear too?
I have LEDs in the rear: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16648

Sloppy does not.

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #66
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Talking

Quote:
I have LEDs in the rear: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16648

Sloppy does not.
ahh..resistors...becareful, those suckers get hot..plastic melting hotness

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #67
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
ahh..resistors...becareful, those suckers get hot..plastic melting hotness
Yeah, I'm lookin' to get rid of them.

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #68
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Yeah, I'm lookin' to get rid of them.
do you know how?

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #69
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
do you know how?
Joke? If you read this thread, we've been talking about it. I know I need a new, electronic, signal relay. I bought one, but I don't think it's the right one. Any idea if it is? If it's not, which one should I get? Not trying to mail order any more stuff... lookin' to shop locally now.

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #70
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Im 99% sure that relay you have in the pic will work. If not take your stock one off take it to any autoparts store and ask for one.

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #71
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Joke? If you read this thread, we've been talking about it. I know I need a new, electronic, signal relay. I bought one, but I don't think it's the right one. Any idea if it is? If it's not, which one should I get? Not trying to mail order any more stuff... lookin' to shop locally now.
no joke I'll let you have fun figure things out
I'll give you a hint..it's all in the search button but may be kkim may be able to help you out

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #72
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Quote:
I'll give you a hint..it's all in the search button but may be kkim may be able to help you out

What are you talking about dude? Why all the hush hush?....just help the man out.

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #73
randomwalk101
self wrencher

awwee..u no fun

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #74
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I've been searchin'. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. Unfortunately for me, the weather is so ****** right now, I can't try anything. Tomorrow is another day...

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #75
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Quote:
awwee..u no fun

eh youre right......I've been on the other forum :ahem: kawiforums :ahem: too much lately I guess....where the ass hatness outweigh the help.

Old April 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #76
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
eh youre right......I've been on the other forum :ahem: kawiforums :ahem: too much lately I guess....where the ass hatness outweigh the help.

oh you're right...the info was on the other forum..not this one Opps, my bad.

Anyways, that elec relay is okay for 2 LED signals. But in order to have four LEDs, you need to add a couple of diodes to the bulb/signal indicator. Kawi (and some others like Aprila) combines both right/left signals into one...so you need to put the diodes in to prevent backflows. This is true with the case of putting four LEDs in, when you hit the signal, all four signals will light up solid. Diodes solves this issues...Elec flasher corrects the flashing rate.
Yes, resistors will do but will heat up if you forget to turn off the signals..may cause wires or plastic to melt. Heat will eventually kills the resistors too...not the best route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diode indicator placement drawling.jpg (10.6 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg pic01.jpg (39.2 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg pic02.jpg (48.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg pic03.jpg (39.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg pic04.jpg (41.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg pic05.jpg (47.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg pic06.jpg (50.0 KB, 235 views)

Old April 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #77
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
oh you're right...the info was on the other forum..not this one Opps, my bad.

Anyways, that elec relay is okay for 2 LED signals. But in order to have four LEDs, you need to add a couple of diodes to the bulb/signal indicator. Kawi (and some others like Aprila) combines both right/left signals into one...so you need to put the diodes in to prevent backflows. This is true with the case of putting four LEDs in, when you hit the signal, all four signals will light up solid. Diodes solves this issues...Elec flasher corrects the flashing rate.
Yes, resistors will do but will heat up if you forget to turn off the signals..may cause wires or plastic to melt. Heat will eventually kills the resistors too...not the best route.
Ok, I'm now even more 'confused', an LED IS a diode. So, WTF mate?

Old April 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #78
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Ok, I'm now even more 'confused', an LED IS a diode. So, WTF mate?
LED is a type of diode.. Look at the attached pictures.

Old April 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #79
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
LED is a type of diode.. Look at the attached pictures.
I see those. At this point, it all depends on how early I get up tomorrow. If I'm up early enough to try any of this stuff, I will. Otherwise, I'm headin' out to Muncie to see my sis.

Old April 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #80
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
I see those. At this point, it all depends on how early I get up tomorrow. If I'm up early enough to try any of this stuff, I will. Otherwise, I'm headin' out to Muncie to see my sis.
i have carefully calculated your feng shui...June 16th is a good day to do it LOL