Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 10th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #1
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Cages don't help cabin fever

With the very little time I got on a motorcycle, I've fallen in love. It's very hard for me to find something to be passionate about and even harder for me to stay interested. But this... this is a whole new ball game. I look at the road in a different way and I hate the closed in feeling of a cage. For those that don't know, the ninja is getting sold. Miss Creations is the legal owner of the bike and she's pulling out from under me and selling it. In rebuttal, I'm buying a different one. It's all about compromise in any relationship, ya know.

On that note, I started looking on the infamous Craigslist and found something I've never seen or heard of. Johnny Pag Spyder.

http://www.johnnypag.ca/features/moj...wspyder300.pdf

From what I understand, the engine is comparable to a 250 honda rebel. I did a search through the forum and the brand Johnny Pag is briefly mentioned in passing. Admittedly, this bike is completely ridiculous. Its really short and super long but something about it attracts me. Is this some form of motorcycle beer goggles were everything looks good because I have nothing? Or is this genuinely interesting?

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Craigslist bike is $1700 and needs carbs cleaned and rear brake lines.

Last futzed with by Kscreations08; April 10th, 2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: forgot some unimportant stuff
Kscreations08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #2
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Wow! looks like fun! Another mini cruiser to consider is the Yamaha 250 Virago/Route 66/V-Star 250. Very bulletproof and underrated.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #3
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

looks fun!

if you want a project, it's pretty easy to pick up an old Rebel 250 and convert into something like that.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

From what ive read, the taking one of those on the highway might be interesting since they have no top end. The ninja 250 is really the only 250 ive heard of that can comfortably take the highway without issue (a steady 75 or 80mph). Ironic since most people get a bigger bike since they say they take the highway more.

Around town im sure its a fine bike, but you can pick up a pregen 250 for the price or less in good running condition. A ninja 500 about the same price, and a new gen for a couple hundred more if you search around and dont mind some higher mileage.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #5
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

As the owner of several Rebel 250's, I can say they are highway capable, and the engine is pretty much bulletproof. Mine will do 75 top speed, and lighter riders report higher speeds. You won't hit top speed in a quarter mile, but it will get there. Hills will require a downshift and if steep and long enough, are going to slow the bike.

Pretty sure the Johnny Pag line went out of business a few years back. From what little I know of them, they were better than most Chinese made motorcycles. Some parts may be interchangeable with the Rebel 250, but certainly not all. It is a Chinese copy of the Rebel with a longer front end.

You'd be better off with a Rebel IMO. Used parts are readily available and new ones as well. The Rebel was made from 1985-87 (first generation) and 1996 to present. There are some minor differences between the two generations, but most parts between generations, and all parts within generations are interchangeable.

I know a guy who has over 100,000 miles on his '87 Rebel 250. Pretty good testament to their reliability.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote