ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old May 16th, 2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Travis Pastrana Will Pay Tribute to Evel Knievel by Jumping an Ind

Indian isn’t just in the business of building motorcycles anymore; the American motorcycle manufacturer is also making history and rewriting the record books, and the Scout FTR750 is leading the way. In its inaugural 2017 American Flat Track season, the FTR750 won 14 of 18 races, accounted for 37 of the available 54 podium spots and won Indian and Jared Mees the Grand National Championship. This year, the FTR has also proven to be dominant, leading the championship so far with complete podium sweeps in the last two rounds. No other bike in its class has been able to touch it.

Building upon Indian Motorcycle’s and its FTR750’s success, Indian has teamed up with Nitro Circus and motocross icon and stunt performer Travis Pastran to set yet another record. This time, though, it won’t be on a racetrack. Looking to pay tribute to Evel Knievel, the founding father of motorcycle stunts, Travis will attempt three of Evel’s most famed jumps aboard the FTR, including jumping the length of 52+ crushed cars, 16 Greyhound busses, and the Caesars Palace fountain jump that left Knievel with over 40 broken bones and in a month-long coma.

Travis will attempt all three record-setting jumps on Sunday, July 8th, during a three-hour span that will be broadcast live nationwide on the History Channel. Travis is of course no stranger to jumping motorcycles, and has set many of his own world records. However, the lightweight motocross bikes Travis is used to jumping are a lot different from the Indian FTR750 and Harley-Davidson XR750 that Evel rode. The FTR and XR750s were not designed to jump, not like this anyhow…

“It was extremely important to use a motorcycle similar to the ones Evel jumped. The Indian Scout FTR750 is just that, a modern-day evolution of the flat track motorcycles of the past,” said Pastrana. “It has the power I need and handles well, but I’m only going to have a few days to get comfortable on it, not to mention I’ve never jumped a V-twin before. I’ve got my work cut out, but we’re used to going big at Nitro Circus, so we’ll make it happen.”

Given Travis’ skills and the FTR750’s capabilities, compared to Evel’s and his H-D XR750 of the time, we’re confident Pastrana should be able smash these records on his way into the record books yet again.

“We couldn’t be more excited for Travis to be piloting the Scout FTR750 as he looks to make history by recreating three of Evel Knievel’s most historic jumps in a single evening,” said Reid Wilson, Senior Director, Marketing and Product Development for Indian Motorcycle. “Evel Knievel is truly a global icon, and we’re proud to be a part of this incredible event that pays homage to his legacy in such grand fashion.”

It’s awesome to see all the ways in which Indian has been working to bring awareness and help grow our sport of motorcycling. This history-making event, called Evel Live, will surely pique the mainstream interests of spectators not just here in America, but in the rest of the world as well. I mean, what’s not to like?

Can Travis leave his mark on American motorcycle history as one of our most iconic daredevils alongside Evel Knievel? Tune-in to the History Channel on Sunday, July 8th at 8PM ET/ 5PM PT to find out!

The post Travis Pastrana Will Pay Tribute to Evel Knievel by Jumping an Indian Scout FTR750 appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...