ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #1
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Talking My Petcock - Technology vs biker culture

It's been a while, hope everyone got along OK without me I just wanted to make a post about fuel injectors. I met a owner of a Aprilia Shiver the other day and realized how advanced fuel injection technology is getting. I've also been coming up with creative new ways to procrastinate. That's right. I started a blog. Yesterday I did one about some bike related things I've observed, hopefully you'll find it interesting enough to read.

My Petcock

And of course, I'd appreciate your input

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I don't know, if your petcock is vibrating, you might want to have it looked at.

Good read.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

It's not just motorcycles, but technology as a whole.

Remember when there was such a profession as a T.V. repair man? Neither do I.

Just buy a new one.

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Hmmm... Now you've made me think twice about considering putting that EFI kit on my Ninjette this winter.... We'll see, because though I'll be the first to admit I'm a total noob at tinkering with my baby's parts (which is why I'm constantly exploding with all sorts of basic questions) I love doing it. No challenge is too much for me to want to take on, especially when I have people like the people on this forum who are willing to help me out every step of the way, no matter how basic or noobish my questions may be. Actually learned A LOT from you guys. A couple of months ago, I had no clue what a camshaft even was! Let alone the jets and needles in the carbs (my current learning project actually). Thanks guys! You all rock!!

Little off topic, I know lol, sorry. I loved the blog, didn't get bored at all, kept my interest the whole way through! Excellent write up!

Old September 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #5
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

Really nice blog, something i will definitely keep up to date on! Thanks for the read
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM   #6
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

just speaking for pre-gens, EFI has no place. if you want "more" of something get a set of Mikuni carbs. the aprilia shiver certainly does that, shivers ALLLLLL over the place. maybe apply your etiquette to that as well. personally i've had a brainstorm and am offering "pet cocks" toys worldwide and hoping for pet rock reactions. motorcycle mystique, outrageously, surprising representations, and free demonstration oferings will assure there suckcess.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #7
EngrNewf
Geeket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I don't know, if your petcock is vibrating, you might want to have it looked at.

Good read.
Why on earth would I want something that vibrated looked at? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
It's not just motorcycles, but technology as a whole.

Remember when there was such a profession as a T.V. repair man? Neither do I.

Just buy a new one.
It is technology as a whole. I'm a software developer and I've made a few robots and did a bit of circuits in my free time and these are things I love but it still makes me a little sad to see some old traditions fade. Hopefully there are some new ones to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkitaNinja View Post
Really nice blog, something i will definitely keep up to date on! Thanks for the read
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
...Little off topic, I know lol, sorry. I loved the blog, didn't get bored at all, kept my interest the whole way through! Excellent write up!
Nah it was still on topic Thanks for the input.

Old September 26th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Well, there's technology, and then there's technology.. I totally agree about EFI. But then, would you go on a ride without a cell phone?

These are maybe off topic, but are great illustrations...The recent Airbus crash (Flight 447), and a crash of Peruvian jet over the Pacific (Flight 603) show how technology kills (most notably, by degenerating human sklls).
Then, a crash in Colombia (AA Flight 965) shows how technology (in that case, a moving map GPS) would have been a lifesaver.

Technology is best at providing information... it's not so good at making sense of it. Frankly, that's all we need to know to select "good" from "bad" technology.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #9
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

they are suppose to vibrate
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #10
EngrNewf
Geeket

Toly, technology is great. I've designed developed tested implemented and help troubleshoot sophisticated navigational software for vessel traffic services all around the world. It's all very interesting to me. And I'm sure that there were many people back in the day that were afraid of doing anything with their bikes too, but there seems to be more. Never be afraid to "touch your parts".
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
they are suppose to vibrate
I agree