ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

Anyone try this "headlight mesh" to 'reshape' their headlight?

I was thinking of trying something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330868146189...84.m1423.l2648

and use it to give my headlight a more "modern" shape. What do you guys think? What I like about it is that light still passes through.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Doesn't look to me like it reshaped anything, just merely a way to make it blend into bike's color. Headlight tinting if you will, and not that great looking in any of those example pics in link.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Doesn't look to me like it reshaped anything, just merely a way to make it blend into bike's color. Headlight tinting if you will, and not that great looking in any of those example pics in link.
It looks like you're dressing you bike up in lace...
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I have the Lockhart-Philips green headlight mesh that I will be putting on a pregen, but I have a slightly different idea. I overlaid the J/K "newgen" and F "pregen" headlights and traced the outline of both. I then bought a fairing that covers the headlight completely, which I will paint black and blend with the windscreen (also painted black).

I will overlay my trace on the fairing and cut out the area that the two light designs share, which will result in a funny shape-BUT I'M NOT DONE! I will then use green paint, vinyl, or headlight mesh to extend the shape beyond the cutout so that the green area completes the shape of the J-bike's headlight. Of course, that will still look weird if the cut-out is not also green to blend, so that's where the headlight mesh comes in to play. I have seen clear green tint that I may combine with the mesh to make it more consistent.

I have another fairing with no headlight hole that I plan to actually mount a J-bike's headlight in, but it is cracked so I intend to hide the crack with the same mesh. I'm going to use green vinyl or more mesh to make a false windscreen shape after I blend the old windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Wrong mindset. You use shaped cuts to continue the color of the fairing and leave your custom shape UNcovered. The illusion is blown during riding, but you are blinded by the light at that point. For example, one thing that exacerbates the blocky-shaped headlight is the straight line formed from where the windscreen meets it with no fairing in between. On a green bike, a bit of green across the top solves that. With a clever shape you can also add a curve to the headlight.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
iplante
I ride like a granny

My bike will soon be VW Fahrenheit orange to match my car.

I have two options:
1. Buy BLACK mesh and cut a better shape
2. Buy WHITE mesh and spray paint it orange (more $$$, since I have to buy the rattle can of that color)

I'm not sure which would look better.

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
My bike will soon be VW Fahrenheit orange to match my car.

I have two options:
1. Buy BLACK mesh and cut a better shape
2. Buy WHITE mesh and spray paint it orange (more $$$, since I have to buy the rattle can of that color)

Third option: Buy GREEN and match the fairings.

Anyway, headlights get hot and the automotive paint may not hold up. Also, applying after painting may not work so well as the paint probably isn't meant to be flexible.

Good luck!

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
iplante
I ride like a granny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Third option: Buy GREEN and match the fairings.

Anyway, headlights get hot and the automotive paint may not hold up. Also, applying after painting may not work so well as the paint probably isn't meant to be flexible.

Good luck!
Ha! But I want my bike to be orange like my car!
Thanks for the tip about the flexibility. I didn't think of that. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now

Old February 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Ha! But I want my bike to be orange like my car!
Thanks for the tip about the flexibility. I didn't think of that. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now
Hmm. You could get an orange mesh as close to the VW orange as you can then get a pint of paint computer-matched to the mesh. Mix that with your VW paint to get an "in between" color that you paint your upper fairing with. Paint the rest with the straight VW orange color. Next, make a fade into the headlight area orange using the spray you already planned to get. The expense and effort are ratcheting up, but the orange mesh will no longer stick out and the overall bike will seem to match the car.

Yeah, I'd probably try spraying the mesh first.

Old February 9th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
This would look better. Leave it square
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119789