ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #281
kkim

have you tried loosening the riser bracket where it meets the tube and rotating the tube into the desired position?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM   #282
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Move the tubes out until the areas in the yellow circles are so that the aluminum of the tube is flush with the aluminum of the riser. This will give you more room to adjust your tubes and controls. I had the same issue you're having and this was the compromise I made.

Here's mine.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM   #283
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

thanks for the help guys.

rockNRoll, I've tried what your saying and it works but i'm not entirely comfortable with putting my hands that far apart. I guess I'll have to choose between riding with my hands apart more or having a more comfortable clutch lever..... decisions decisions

*edit*
btw, awesome spider.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:26 AM   #284
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

must... get... clip ons....

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM   #285
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Aye, it's worth it. I got mine in sometime last week and I'm still shocked at how much of a change it is. Used to be cramped at full tuck for highway travel (I'm only 5'8") but now very much more relaxed. And as aforementioned, handling stepped up a good bit too. Very pleased with this mod, just need to fab up a bracket for device mounting and covering those unsightly fork tops.

Old January 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #286
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

dooo it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
must... get... clip ons....
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #287
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

currently saving up and wondering if i have the courage and mental capacity to actually get them on correctly

Old January 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #288
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
currently saving up and wondering if i have the courage and mental capacity to actually get them on correctly
Just be patient with yourself and you'll do fine. Sometimes people relate the difficulty of a job to the time it takes to execute... this is sometimes wrong. You can't just throw these clip on's on the bike in a few minutes, they take some time and patience but they aren't hard to install.

Old January 29th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #289
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
You can't just throw these clip on's on the bike in a few minutes, they take some time and patience but they aren't hard to install.
I agree 100%. The hardest part, IMHO, is setting them up properly for your application once they are installed.

Old February 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #290
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by untdavid View Post
Here are the pictures of the problem I'm having. How do I get the brake line out of the way? Its a annoying problem but doesn't affect me that much. Is my clipons installed incorrectly?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me.

David

Not sure if you've already fixed this, but mine was doing the same until I adjusted the brake lever so that it is lower. Try that. Rotate the brake lever so that it is close to the ground. Good luck.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #291
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Post-install

I just got mine installed. No clearance issues for me so farl. The only thing I had trouble with on this installation is securing the fork clamp bolts. I couldn't get a torque wrench on there....there's just not enough room. What I did to tighten the bolts was to use an allen bit clamped on a wrench. Not the best way to tighten but so far it has not come loose. Hopefully, I did not over-tighten.

Anyway, here is what I did to make sure there are no clearance issues:
1) Adjusted the risers so that the fork clamps are all the way to the top. In other words, I moved them as high up as they can go and touching the base of the triple crown.
2) Pulled the bars in as far as back possible.
3) Rotated the brake and clutch levers down so that they are closer to the ground.
4) Moved the bars in as close to the center while carefully checking on clearance.

Below are some pics to show the final positions. If you have any questions or need help, PM me.

Oh and special thanks to Kelly for this DIY!

Front
1.JPG

2.JPG

Clutch-side
3a.JPG
Full lock
3b.JPG
Full lock
3c.JPG

Brake-side
4.JPG
Full lock
4a.JPG
Full lock
4b.JPG

Old February 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #292
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Wow,
You just convinced me.
I didn't like that they bound up from what I saw in the DIY's.
The fact that they don't hit for you changes everything for me.
Thanks a ton for posting that!

Yes, I owe some thanks to lots of authors of DIY's here as well for teaching me lots of new stuff. =)
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #293
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Wow,
You just convinced me.
I didn't like that they bound up from what I saw in the DIY's.
The fact that they don't hit for you changes everything for me.
Thanks a ton for posting that!

Yes, I owe some thanks to lots of authors of DIY's here as well for teaching me lots of new stuff. =)
No problem! Yup, you can adjust the wires so that none of them will hit the fairing. At both full lock, none of my wires hit the fairing. If anything, you can probably zip-tie them together.

Old February 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #294
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Here are more pics.

Clutch-side
5.jpg

Brake-side
6.jpg

Old February 21st, 2010, 06:44 PM   #295
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

For those of you who are familiar with how the front suspension is made, is there any possible future issues by leaving the top of the forks open after the clipons are installed? The what looks like a retaining clip has a small crevice where dirt and water can seep through.

Old February 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM   #296
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
For those of you who are familiar with how the front suspension is made, is there any possible future issues by leaving the top of the forks open after the clipons are installed? The what looks like a retaining clip has a small crevice where dirt and water can seep through.
Probably not a place where you want water to collect and stay. Overseas there are little metal discs that look like the frame filler parts on the side of the frame that will cap off the fork tubes nicely. I've emailed a few guys to see if they can get them over here, as they would finish off the install nicely. No word yet, though...........

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:49 PM   #297
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Probably not a place where you want water to collect and stay. Overseas there are little metal discs that look like the frame filler parts on the side of the frame that will cap off the fork tubes nicely. I've emailed a few guys to see if they can get them over here, as they would finish off the install nicely. No word yet, though...........
I think I've seen some of those. I've also seen someone use the frame filler you mentioned but when I tried it on, it doesn't fit.

Old April 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #298
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Just got these today from hotmotostore, can't wait to put them on this weekend. I must say that I am satisfied by the service of hotmotostore. Quick and free shipping along with great prices, you really can't beat them.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #299
Perbeils
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcelo

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r 09

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (36.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment2.jpg (40.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment3.jpg (46.7 KB, 35 views)
Perbeils is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #300
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Took me a few moments to figure out what was going on. Interesting solution to the bar end problem. Remembering how much of a pain those things were to pull out, I imagine that'll work as well or better than Kelly's fuel hose method.

Old May 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM   #301
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

My box didn't came with instruction

Where do i have to put loctite exactly ?

Thanks
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM   #302
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

Also, does anyone have the torque value for this instalation ?

edit : i can see some number on screw, are those number the torque value ?
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM   #303
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac12345 View Post
My box didn't came with instruction

Where do i have to put loctite exactly ?

Thanks
On the riser bolts, per the instructions. I put them on every bolt though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac12345 View Post
Also, does anyone have the torque value for this instalation ?

edit : i can see some number on screw, are those number the torque value ?
they don't list any torque values, they just say "industry standard". Basically, make it snug enough that if you hit the bars decently hard, they don't shift.
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #304
Jibs
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jibs

Motorcycle(s): 250

saw a diy for how to use the stock bar ends with the woodcrafts but does anyone know if aftermarket bar ends will work?
Jibs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:32 AM   #305
doubleJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250

I haven't seen this asked, so here it goes...
If the forks stick out, above the triple, why are so many people getting woodcrafts, instead of a 37mm clip-on, mounted above the triple? To me, it looks like the same position.
JJ
doubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM   #306
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

Well, the woodcrafts allow you to lower the bars a little more and narrowly miss the fairing and tank.

With regular 37mm bars, its not possible to adjust how low the bars go. It's either above the triple or below the triple. However, you have much more freedom in rotating the bars forwards or backwards.

I currently have the woodcraft bars installed but I'm moving to a pair of vortex bars because theres a problem with the woodcraft bars (or any bars that go under the triple with a raiser). The raiser gets in the way of your cables and limits how far forward you can rotate your controls (look at post 280 in this thread). Very annoying. You can compromise by positioning your grips further apart but I personally don't like the bars too wide. I like my arms more forward and tucked in.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #307
craha
ninjetter

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Great DIY. It convinced me to buy a set! I picked mine up from Sportbike Track Gear for $162. They've been sitting in the box for a couple weeks as I've been too busy. This weekend hopefully!

I will definitely need to use the flame method as I tried in the past to remove my right side bar end with no luck, almost completely stripping the screw. Funny, I was able to get the left one off by hand.

Directions seem clear, just wondering if you have torque values for all the bolts in this kit? I didn't see that in the directions and thought it might be pretty important.
craha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #308
craha
ninjetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Make sure the housing won't rotate after the screws are tightened as it does contain the throttle. If you broke the locating pin and it still moves, you can wrap something like teflon tape around the handlebars where the housing clamps down to make it a bit thicker so it wont move.

Welcome to the forum!
Finally installed my clip-ons! Really changes the position and I agree with all the comments I've read about comfort and feel. Other than my drilling not being completely accurate, my throttle side is several mms too far in from the bar end, I'm otherwise happy.

Other than that, my only problem now is loose control housings. The pins are intact so they don't rotate very much. There is definitely some movement though. Makes me nervous, obviously, so I'm wondering how to fix. Is this teflon tape method an appropriate way for me to resolve? Can I use other types of tape? If not, where can I find that teflon tape?

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #309
kkim

Any durable tape will do. What you are trying to do is make the bar a bit thicker by wrapping it with some tape so the control housing can clamp down on something when you tighten up the screws.

Teflon tape can be found in the plumbing section of a hardware store, but like I said, any tape you feel is durable, will do.

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #310
craha
ninjetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Any durable tape will do. What you are trying to do is make the bar a bit thicker by wrapping it with some tape so the control housing can clamp down on something when you tighten up the screws.

Teflon tape can be found in the plumbing section of a hardware store, but like I said, any tape you feel is durable, will do.
Will do, thanks very much!

Old July 10th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #311
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I just finished installing my clipons an hour ago. Overall the quality of the kit and this thread made the install a cinch. I used a cheap Radio Shack butane torch for about one minute per bar end bolt and they twisted out by hand with a #3 phillips screwdriver.

I replaced the grips with some Progrip soft compound grips, not because I didn't like the stock grips but I prefer something a little softer and a little stickier from my MTB / BMX experience. I used a capful of alcohol (99% isopropyl, not single-malt) in each one, swished it around then quickly slid the grips on and worked them into place one at a time.

I'll let them set overnight but I did give the bike a quick ride around the car park to get a first impression and it's good! With the brackets up against the underside of the top fork crown and rotated out until the risers touch the crown I have them setup so that there are no clearance issues lock to lock and they are in a good starting location.

Some bad iPhone pics:

clipons_from_seat.jpgclipons_from_side.jpgclipons_from_tank.jpg

Next, I gotta replace my lost tube of loctite and tighten everything down then start a week's worth of tweaking to get them just so.

Thanks again to Kelly and everyone else for yet another DIY-driven success!
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #312
Bxninja47
BXninja

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

can anyone put a picture of them actually on the bike with the clip-ons so I can see the riding position
I'm 5'11 and wanting to switch to the woodcrafts?
Bxninja47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #313
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxninja47 View Post
can anyone put a picture of them actually on the bike with the clip-ons so I can see the riding position
I'm 5'11 and wanting to switch to the woodcrafts?
Someone posted one here.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #314
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Will be putting mine on in the morning.

Will post pictures later today. Very happy with the finish and fit.

Finished took about 2.5-3 hours. One quick note. On the DIY thread, I think is a bit misleading I thought I only had to drill a hole for the throttle plastic (right side). There is another hole on the choke that needs to be drilled. I was done when I realized that I had to drill another hole. I would have been done in 2 hours.

I left about an 1/8 of an inch between black tip and grip. Clips are about 1/8 down from top head, angled out till they touch top head. Bars are about 1/4 inch past clip. Had 0 issues with clearance. Now just need to find some caps.

Awesome product. Very happy with new riding position.

Last futzed with by Cab305; July 18th, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #315
illrational
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Black '11 ZX-6R

im trying to decide whether to get woodcraft or shinto's!Any opinion?

Old July 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #316
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by illrational View Post
Woodcraft is my recommendation. They are beautifully made, install easily, and can be found in a lot of shops / online stores.

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:57 AM   #317
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illrational View Post
Woodcraft is made in the USA + if you need parts like the handlebar itself, you can order replacements.

Only things I can say about shinto is that I like how you can adjust the bar angle and that they have it in black, and that they look pretty adjustable. however the quality and part replacement ease is where the ? is
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM   #318
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
Woodcraft is made in the USA + if you need parts like the handlebar itself, you can order replacements.

Only things I can say about shinto is that I like how you can adjust the bar angle and that they have it in black, and that they look pretty adjustable. however the quality and part replacement ease is where the ? is
The adjust ability does look great but I question the security of the riser / fork tube interface and also wonder why they mounted the bars to the riser with bolts through the tube instead of using a clamp.

Not to say they aren't good kit, I just think the simpler design of the Woodcraft clip-ons outweigh the extra adjustment.

Old July 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM   #319
kkim

I went with WC due to their reputation for making a quality product and parts availability.

Also, made in the USA.

Old August 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #320
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Well, I finally got around to installing these along with some new grips over the weekend and I've been feeling them out all week. After reading through most of this thread, I was a little nervous at first that being I'm on the shorter side (I'm only 5'6") the change would be a bit extreme, but it really doesn't feel THAT different to me, and when paired with my rearsets, I'd actually say it feels more natural than it did before. full tuck is a lot less squishy, too. I approve.

Great DIY! That was pretty fun. Here's another thanks for posting it I had a few hiccups getting the drill to stop moving around on the bar (First time using a drill and I wasn't sure what the trick was. My brother later told me about the whole starting it with a hammer and nail or similar tools thing. Don't know why that didn't occur to me ), but all in all this was surprisingly simple and straight forward. I've recently found that that's the case with a lot of mechanical things that used to intimidate me, actually.

Ah, modding my bike makes me so giddy. I can't wait to try them out at the track
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote