ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Name: Sharon

Motorcycle(s): green ninja 250

Woman driver

It seems to me that lately, or perhaps I've just been noticing it more, that the general consensus seems to be that being male somehow magically enables superior driving skills. Well... news flash.... having a pee-pee does NOT automatically make you a better driver.

Is the soccer mom distracted by kids, the woman who decides her lipstick has to be applied in traffic or the woman who just has to take that call right then, really a worse driver than; the guy who thinks the world may just end if someone gets in front of him, the guy that forgot to shave before leaving the house, and thinks flying down the road at 80 and shaving is a good idea , the business man who's cell phone is more like a permanent growth, or the guy who is certain that he can get where he is going 30.27464 seconds faster by zooming around and cutting you off? I would say that all of the above are accidents waiting to happen.

Driving is a skill that's gained only through time and experience. The DPS officer does not wave some magic wand over the head of the boys that pass the test and suddenly they are superior drivers.

Personally, I have had 2 accidents in 25 years of driving. The first was caused by a 20ish year old guy that was too busy looking at the pretty lights, due to an accident on the side of the road, to pay attention to the traffic stopped in the other lane and slammed into the rear of my car doing about 60...no insurance of course. The second was, from a legal standpoint, my fault as I came over a hill in a 65mph zone to find an old man doing maybe 35ish. Since it was a rural area the officer was actually apologetic but had no choice but to give me a ticket. I haven't had a ticket besides that one in about 15 years. (now that I've completely jinxed myself lol)

My point is, and I realize that most of you won't give a crap: I find it extremely offensive to be lumped into the category of "bad driver" based solely on my sex. I'm certainly no worse a driver than any typical male and probably a damned sight better than most. Flame me if you want, I've just simply reached my fill of that particular rhetoric.

Rant over now.. you may return to whatever it was you were doing.
Ambar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

How many accidents did you cause as you typed this while driving?

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #3
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
It seems to me that lately, or perhaps I've just been noticing it more, that the general consensus seems to be that being male somehow magically enables superior driving skills. Well... news flash.... having a pee-pee does NOT automatically make you a better driver.

Is the soccer mom distracted by kids, the woman who decides her lipstick has to be applied in traffic or the woman who just has to take that call right then, really a worse driver than; the guy who thinks the world may just end if someone gets in front of him, the guy that forgot to shave before leaving the house, and thinks flying down the road at 80 and shaving is a good idea , the business man who's cell phone is more like a permanent growth, or the guy who is certain that he can get where he is going 30.27464 seconds faster by zooming around and cutting you off? I would say that all of the above are accidents waiting to happen.

Driving is a skill that's gained only through time and experience. The DPS officer does not wave some magic wand over the head of the boys that pass the test and suddenly they are superior drivers.

Personally, I have had 2 accidents in 25 years of driving. The first was caused by a 20ish year old guy that was too busy looking at the pretty lights, due to an accident on the side of the road, to pay attention to the traffic stopped in the other lane and slammed into the rear of my car doing about 60...no insurance of course. The second was, from a legal standpoint, my fault as I came over a hill in a 65mph zone to find an old man doing maybe 35ish. Since it was a rural area the officer was actually apologetic but had no choice but to give me a ticket. I haven't had a ticket besides that one in about 15 years. (now that I've completely jinxed myself lol)

My point is, and I realize that most of you won't give a crap: I find it extremely offensive to be lumped into the category of "bad driver" based solely on my sex. I'm certainly no worse a driver than any typical male and probably a damned sight better than most. Flame me if you want, I've just simply reached my fill of that particular rhetoric.

Rant over now.. you may return to whatever it was you were doing.
Hey Sharon. I know what you mean. It's probably not worth you even mentioning it though. It's like stating the obvious!

Also: I don't know if you watch youtube videos much, but I try and avoid ever reading the youtube comments. Their is sooooo much sexism there. Any videos with women in them almost always have "another women driver", "get in the kitchen", "I'd do her" or something equally ignorant, The people that say stuff like that are telling you a whole lot about themselves and very little about us.

I totally see your frustration though.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

From a motorcyclist's perspective, *every* driver is a potential bad driver, right? Focusing on why they happen to be a bad driver isn't terribly important, and their gender certainly isn't a leading clue.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #5
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Both sexes have idiot drivers among them and I am fully aware of it.

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Totally agree with op. You do realize however, that someone will now post "must be wrong time of the month" just for lulz, and then all hell will break loose in here.

I'm going to go put on my helmet and gear.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
How many accidents did you cause as you typed this while driving?
Probably only the one you had as you read it while driving.

When I post, it's from my computer.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #8
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Totally agree with op. You do realize however, that someone will now post "must be wrong time of the month" just for lulz, and then all hell will break loose in here.

All the gear ALL the time!

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post

I know.. I know, a post like this is like a troll mating call lol

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
From a motorcyclist's perspective, *every* driver is a potential bad driver, right? Focusing on why they happen to be a bad driver isn't terribly important, and their gender certainly isn't a leading clue.

I completely agree with you there. Not that I've been riding long, but when I do ride, I figure they're all out to get me.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

While a woman putting on makeup might not be more dangerous than a man shaving, a woman shaving would have to be more dangerous than a man putting on makeup.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Ambar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
While a woman putting on makeup might not be more dangerous than a man shaving, a woman shaving would have to be more dangerous than a man putting on makeup.
A drag queen might be doing both

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
A drag queen might be doing both
Ok.. so we might get away with "dam drag queen drivers!" for now on?

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #14
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

women are horrible drivers. I've been in two accidents. Both accidents were me getting rear ended by women. The first had the excuse that she was not paying attention because she was putting her seatbelt on (we were in the middle of the highway. she got a ticket just for telling the cop she didnt have her belt on lmao) and the second was a woman who hit me at a red light while i was at a complete stop...she said "im sorry, i wasn't looking out the front window, i was looking out the side".
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #15
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

If I kept track of every incident I encountered on the road, I believe the stats would show that more women were driving than men.

I do see horrible drivers from both genders, and all races, but still, I firmly believe that from my own personal experiences, women were responsible for most.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #16
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Jokes aside, if you look at insurance rates (they may have changed this in recent years) males under the age of 25 automatically had higher rates than women no matter what. They were considered higher risk drivers based on police reports and such.

However, getting rear-ended, nearly getting run over on the off-ramp, getting cut off, being tale-gated, and other such bad driving towards me were from women drivers, typically young too. I get bad male drivers too. Just for some reason when I look at the driver of a cage that just did something stupid towards me, more often lately it's been a woman.

In an annual driver survey done by GMAC financial for driver safety and skill they found more women drivers admitted to doing distracting things while driving.

Are men bad drivers? Absolutely, anyone that says otherwise is lying. Are men or women better drivers? The debate will always be out on that one and will never be decided.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #17
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Asian drivers are the worst.

Oh, and while men and women share the "crappy driver" syndrome, I've seen more women than men who can't park if their life depended on it.

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Are men or women better drivers? The debate will always be out on that one and will never be decided.
That's because it's not a real debate. The statement "men are better drivers" or "women are better drivers" just clumps an entire group of radically different people together based solely on their genitalia. Everyone can mention anecdotal instances of one, specific person being worthless behind the wheel, but does that specific instance of stupidity actually mean that anyone who was born with the same set of chromosomes is then identical to this specific failure?

If I said I see more black people in bad neighborhoods, thus white people are cleaner, smarter, and more morally good human beings, would you consider that as a real, correct, or acceptable statement? If I said all men are misogynistic pigs because I encounter so, so, so many who are, would I then be correct to set that statement in stone and brand the entire half of the population because of the actions of these specific people that I encountered?

Or are those all just radical, completely unfair generalizations based on the mistakes and fallacies of a few?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #19
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
That's because it's not a real debate. The statement "men are better drivers" or "women are better drivers" just clumps an entire group of radically different people together based solely on their genitalia. Everyone can mention anecdotal instances of one, specific person being worthless behind the wheel, but does that specific instance of stupidity actually mean that anyone who was born with the same set of chromosomes is then identical to this specific failure?

If I said I see more black people in bad neighborhoods, thus white people are cleaner, smarter, and more morally good human beings, would you consider that as a real, correct, or acceptable statement? If I said all men are misogynistic pigs because I encounter so, so, so many who are, would I then be correct to set that statement in stone and brand the entire half of the population because of the actions of these specific people that I encountered?

Or are those all just radical, completely unfair generalizations based on the mistakes and fallacies of a few?
I think, a-men to that, is the appropriate response to your post

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #20
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Asian drivers are the worst.

Oh, and while men and women share the "crappy driver" syndrome, I've seen more women than men who can't park if their life depended on it.
the first time i got rear ended the womans car who hit me pushed my car into an asian guys in front of me. there i was, sandwiched between the two stereotypical worst drivers on earth: a woman and an asian.
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #22
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

most drivers suck -___- men and women especially the teens like me -___- cept im not that bad.

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #23
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
most drivers suck -___- men and women especially the teens like me -___- cept im not that bad.
You mean taking pics of yourself while driving is safe? hahaha. Just kidding.
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #24
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznJoJo View Post
You mean taking pics of yourself while driving is safe? hahaha. Just kidding.
Hahaha my girlfriend took the picture. There was only one time i wooped out my phone to take a picture of a car i liked. jk

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #25
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I'll just leave this right here. :3

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #26
Ambar
ninjette.org member

self portrait?

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the only people i have a problem with driving are decrepit old people who can't see over the dash board and hit people without even realizing it.

or bears... i think i would have a problem with a bear driving.

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #28
Mazakawi
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the only people i have a problem with driving are decrepit old people who can't see over the dash board and hit people without even realizing it.
This times a million. I've seen people driving who should in no way still be allowed to drive.

A couple years ago I got hit by an elderly woman when I was driving my truck. Not only did she hit me but then she lied to the cops and they tried to place the blame on me. The cops believed the old woman over the 19 yr old guy driving a pickup. Luckily my insurance company disagreed and got me 80% of my deductible back from the old woman.

It's odd how as they get older the get bigger and bigger cars. Yet they can't keep these things anywhere near their own lane. Also, why is it that they are allowed to drive 20mph under the limit on main roads. That's worse than speeding.

I am a firm believer that after a certain age you should be required to pass a driving test every year to renew your driver's license. The only people who would complain are the people who shouldn't be driving in the first place. Also, if you cause an accident after that age, your license should be suspended until you can pass that driver's test again.

People need to realize that driving a car is a privilege and not a right. If you can not prove your self worthy of that privilege it should be taken from you.

As for Teen drivers. That is a parenting problem. Teach your offspring to be responsible adults and drive as such. If your kid can't be responsible enough to put the damn phone down while driving then you need to take their keys.

Quote:
I agree. Motorcycle Riders Against Driving Bears. We need to make this organization.
Mazakawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #29
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
What about a grizzly bear with swords for teeth driving a dumptruck?

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #30
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I don't care how good or bad a woman is at driving, as long as they can make a mean sammich. Haha, I'm sorry, that was terrible... please forgive me?
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I have not had an accident or ticket in my 5 years of driving. Therefore I can conclude that I am a better driver than everyone else, who are all absolutely terrible drivers
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #32
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Ilike sammiches.