ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Post The (additional) Compelling Case for Lane-Splitting (Long Post)

I know this has been covered in brevity across the net...but I wanted to provide a factual basis for why lane splitting is helpful in each area with traffic congestion. Of course, I spent some time researching and coming up with points that would support a proposal in writing to my local congressional office. Prior to my two week stay in California, I was opposed to the thought of lane splitting. But after some observation, I noticed my driving habits (and thoughts) started to change regarding fellow motorcyclists. This prompted me to change my stance on why it would work. However, this wasn't enough for me to write to my local congressmen. In addition, I'd like to send this off to the Governors Highway Safety Association as a recommendation for consideration of safety techniques for motorcyclists. While I wrote this for Virginia, this could be helpful in Maryland, Illinois and other areas that have a clear opportunity to help better protect the lives of riders and also improve traffic conditions. I am asking the community here to help provide additional evidence in the form of facts or studies that could be used to influence state governors in (re)considering the decision to allow lane splitting (even on a case-by-case). Please note, formatting will be corrected a bit later...I'm trying to gather intel from our community of riders. Posted here because I started learning on this forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Compelling Argument to Allow HOV Motorcycle Lane Splitting During Traffic Congestion in Northern Virginia

ABSTRACT: In June 2012, the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) published a preliminary data report entitled Motorcycle Traffic Fatalities by State” for 2011 and released a conclusive statement regarding no progress of recommendation in the improvement of motorcycle safety. Based on the preliminary report data, experiences, recent observations, and researched statistics, lane-splitting may be a positive benefit to the safety of motorcyclists when proper guidelines are being followed. Additionally, most of the data observed and known regarding motorists and motorcyclists may lend to the suggestion that lane-splitting and sharing is a better safety technique for increasing visibility, reducing traffic congestion, reducing the probability of rear-end accidents by motorist distractions, and enabling serving as a positive by-product of awareness to motorists.

I performed a sample observation of distracted drivers traveling the I-66 West Corridor during a PM rush hour from the seat of the Orange Line training heading to Vienna. During my ride, I noted that out of sample of ten drivers, approximately four drivers regularly held a cell phone in hand while crawling through traffic. This was the first time I realized the true issue with distraction on the road and prompted me to perform a bit of research to determine if my observation was reasonable.

Owning a license is a privilege to both motorcyclists and motorists. It is a widely accepted and researched fact that a driver operating a cell phone without a hands-free capability is arguably as impaired temporarily as a driver operating behind the wheel under the influence. However, with the proliferation of digital technology, driver impaired accidents as a result of cell phones have steadily increased as of recent years. A 2009 statistic reported that around 6,000 deaths and 500,000 injuries occurred as a result of distractions at the wheel. Of those fatal deaths, 12% included motorcyclists. Additionally, an article by Car and Driver magazine concluded that texting while driving was worse than driving under the influence when comparing traffic reaction times (http://www.caranddriver.com/features...angerous-is-it). While texting vs lane splitting does not appear to be relative in nature, texting-while-driving is still legal in the state of Virginia without a hands-free device (as well as other distraction related activities). However, one must ask why it is considered reckless driving to perform a lane-split during stop-and-go traffic even though the technique may reduce the danger to the motorcyclist.

Distractions by drivers may continue to endanger the lives of motorcyclists who do not have the option of navigating through spaces and rely on the drivers operating behind them (with reduced visibility to the motorcyclist themselves and inconspicuous to motorists) in avoiding acts of negligence such as texting-while-driving, make-up while driving, eating-while-driving or similar.

In California, lane splitting is legal. An article in the San Francisco Gate claimed that lane splitting proved to be safer in stop-and-go traffic than sitting in traffic according to a study by the University of Southern California (Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification Countermeasures Volume 1: Technical Report, Source: http://www.ilquen.it/download/Miscel...CAL_REPORT.pdf). In complete stop and go traffic and with the right educational and awareness programs, lane splitting has been successful for both motorcycle commuters and California Highway Patrol utilizing motorcycles for emergency. California encourages proper lane sharing technique and provides guidance for when to perform lane splitting. Drivers new to lane splitting are initially surprised at first by lane splitters but typically do not react adversely unless motorcyclists are traveling at high speeds. As such, this practice would (and should) be enforced by highway patrol in the event of abuse of the lane splitting privilege to motorcyclists. While lane-splitting abuse may be subjective, further observation of lane-splitting by motorcyclists in California reported that most drivers were aware of the activity and some even created additional space while lane-splitting. (http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/I...ic-3302825.php)
Lane splitting in purposed lanes (e.g., HOV or Lanes 1/2) is encouraged while discouraged along merging areas of traffic (http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/I...ic-3302825.php).
Based on the preliminary statistics from the Governors Highway Safety Association, the top causes of motorcycle deaths included the influence of alcohol and speeding. The inference made is that danger to motorcyclists typically involve severe cases of poor judgement or negligence on the fault of the rider. This should not discourage the possibility for a lane-splitting legislation. Negligence on the part of the rider is often times more severe for the rider than others. However, the majority of motorcyclists would still benefit safely for lane splitting by using good judgment, highway patrol enforcement, and educational awareness for all motorists in sharing the road.
In 2012, the Oregon Department of Transportation produced the Motorcycle Lane-Sharing Literature Review detailing the results of motorcycle accidents across California and a comparison with European reporting and the impact of lane-sharing on said accidents. While the report did not provide conclusive evidence to determine the positive nor negative affect on lane-sharing, two key points were noted; 1) A recent study found that lane-sharing was a factor in 5% of motorcycle accidents studied while a 2009 European study showed a total of 0.45% in lane-sharing attributed accidents (http://www.ridetowork.org/files/docs...ingStudy.pdf); 2) Lane-sharing included a safety benefit in increasing visibility for the motorcyclist and allowing the motorcyclist to see what the traffic is doing ahead in remaining proactive.

In areas with traffic congestion, safe use of lane splitting has maximized the use of the road in HOV lanes. While motorcycles are a small percentage of the population, motorcycles are being purchased more for fuel economy, convenience, and with improvements in the economy. New riders are being ushered into motorcycle foundation courses which presents an opportunity to train and share knowledge. In usual fashion, knowledge is shared over time. However, practical hands-on experience serves as the best method for learning and adapting. While typical drivers who earn permits and licenses tend to deteriorate in skill over years, motorcyclists tend to increase their knowledge and learn from their mistakes at a faster rate due to the demand of focusing solely on motorcycle operation, researching and comparing techniques, advanced training, and proactive learning resources including forum collaboration, online videos, and books.

Motorcyclists (new and seasoned) when trained are reminded to consider the activities of surrounding drivers for making better judgements. In stop-and-go traffic, drivers have shown to be more distracted to “pass time” therefore increasing the likelihood of causing an accident especially from behind the motorcyclist. Most motorcyclists typically focus on what is happening in front or parallel in traffic. Because of a lack of rear-view mirror, rear visibility is difficult to determine in traffic conditions at all times. Safe motorcyclists consider all drivers from all directions but the longer the motorcyclist is on the road, the higher the probability for operator error on the part of the motorist.

To help with education to both motorcyclists and automobile operators, all can be encouraged to share the road and allow lane splitting activity through repetitive slogans marked on highways. Much like the awareness campaigns that occur during the large influx of motorcyclists from around the nation that descend upon Washington DC during the weekends of Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Veterans Day, the same campaign techniques can be leveraged for motorcycle safety/driver safety awareness regarding lane-sharing. California experienced a 38% decrease in motorcycle fatalities following 2008 which coincided with the ban on cell phones. To note, California also experienced a 10% increase in fatalities according to preliminary data received in 2011.
In Northern Virginia, HOV express lanes have been introduced with two lanes that require drivers to pay for faster trips to destinations. Currently, motorcyclists, Carpools (HOV+3), emergency vehicles, and buses do not have to pay to use the HOV express lanes. However, the introduction of lane splitting could also help speed up the flow of traffic by minimizing the lost space between vehicles in stop-and-go traffic. It should encourage motorcyclists to further concentrate within the HOV lanes for commuting and the HOV lane could be the designated concentration point for lane splitting activity if proposed.
For motorcyclists, the area between two lanes is commonly considered as a bailout area during rear wheel lock up and skidding. This area is considered the safety net “zone” using the “look where you want to go principle” with a rear brake lock up in sudden stopped situations. Much like the principle to avert a potential accident, this area should be considered an opportunity to avert potential accidents from rear-end collisions involving motorists. More importantly, in most cases the motorcyclist has a slim probability of surviving a rear-end collision. It would be considered safer to perform lane-splitting in the HOV lane at a low speed than to remain mobile and with limited visibility to drivers in the rear during merging and stop and go traffic.

Potential Issues with Lane Splitting: Conditions -- It may be difficult to make the case for lane splitting during snow or rainy conditions where visibility is low. Unlike Southern California, the Northeast is spotty across a few months of the year with extreme weather influencing motorcycle riders. In most cases, motorcyclists tend to pull off the road or choose not to ride. Some continue to ride with caution unless ice conditions prevail. It’s assumed that lane splitting would be difficult to support during these conditions and may be discouraged but still an option for navigating through traffic congestion.

According to this report entitled Road Safety in India: Challenges and Opportunities, 40% of accidents were caused from rear-end crashes. In addition, the largest group of motorists were motorcyclists with about 25% making up the full sum (http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstr...4/1/102019.pdf , page 43). The report notes that like other countries, fatigue, alcohol, and “conspicuity of road users” may have caused more accidents at night in comparison with accidents during the day. This would further bolster the case for lane-splitting and sharing to be possibly easier during daylight where most people are alert especially during core hours of the morning and during commute morning commute. And while most of the accidents studied in India involved truck drivers, the US Department of Transportation enforces tight regulation regarding truck inspection and travel routes prohibited. Motorcyclists (while a small percentage of the population) would see an increased benefit from clear guidelines as they pertain to other motorists and the use of lane splitting and concentration within specified lanes (e.g., like HOV).

From personal experience, I have avoided at least one accident by pulling in between cars as a drivers brakes were not engaged in a timely fashion. I wrote this with the intent of helping fellow motorcyclists and drivers in providing a starting approach to writing their local congressional office with the intent of supporting lane-splitting legislation.
In 18 years of living in Virginia (10 years in Virginia Beach, 8 Years in Fairfax) these areas have steadily increased in traffic due to the opportunities attracting businesses and a diversity in the workforce occupations. With diversity lends a multitude of preference for transportation. Unfortunately, while driving casualties have reduced (as specified in the GHSA 2011 preliminary report), the amount of accidents related to distractions have increased over the years while motorcycle fatality reductions have not. As the GHSA continues to look for solutions, please consider this summary of observations and experience when forming recommendations for how to better enable motorcyclists to protect themselves on the road in proposing the law to enable lane-splitting in Virginia during traffic congestion.
In conclusion, the discussion regarding lane splitting, associated risks and the result of defeated legislation apparently stem from perceptions in contrast with actual experience from both drivers and motorcyclists. Considering only one state has legalized the technique and two other states (Arizona, Colorado) have recently proposed lawful guidelines but have yet to pass legislation, opinions continue to vary from lane-splitting being “unfair” to “completely sensible” by both motorcyclists and drivers. However, despite perception it remains uncontested as a benefit in California. With the large population of motorcyclists and drivers on public roads in California, every bit of space is beneficial for commuting and reducing congestion. When one considers the urban sprawl surrounding parts of northern and southern California major cities in comparison to sparse areas across the central region, the case is strong for lane splitting within dense populated regions surrounding the DC Metro, Richmond and Hampton Roads Area. Additionally, further traffic congestion has occurred in less dense regions within the I-95 corridor. And with the steady influx of new military servicemen and women in areas like Quantico, NAS Oceana, and the Pentagon, the military has recognized a need to provide a safe motorcycle program and imposed policy for new riders and mandatory motorcycle training across military branches (http://www.hood.army.mil/leaders/pol.../Safety-02.pdf). How much more important to consider as these men and women serving the our country are also using motorcycles as primary forms of transportation. The same line of reason should be considered in applicability across the Northern Virginia, District of Columbia, and Maryland region covering the I-66/395/495/I-95 corridor and across I-64. One look at the Pentagon’s parking lot would provide sufficient evidence as to the reliance on motorcycles for primary transportation.
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Well thought out letter. I'd like to help you stay in the factual area. In California, lane splitting is NOT LEGAL. It is also NOT ILLEGAL. It is in a grey area described by the vehicle code very vaguely as "lane sharing." A "lane sharer" can be cited for breaking many other vehicle codes while "sharing lanes." I encourage you to bring your thoughts to Congress. I am too lazy and prefer complaining over beer.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Like Jon said, lane splitting isn't actually legal here; it's just not illegal. Anyway, good luck with your study and I hope your local congressman takes the issue seriously and pushes for legislation when you write him/her.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #4
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Well thought out letter. I'd like to help you stay in the factual area. In California, lane splitting is NOT LEGAL. It is also NOT ILLEGAL. It is in a grey area described by the vehicle code very vaguely as "lane sharing." A "lane sharer" can be cited for breaking many other vehicle codes while "sharing lanes." I encourage you to bring your thoughts to Congress. I am too lazy and prefer complaining over beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JELY1990 View Post
Like Jon said, lane splitting isn't actually legal here; it's just not illegal. Anyway, good luck with your study and I hope your local congressman takes the issue seriously and pushes for legislation when you write him/her.
No offense, but that's a bunch of ignorant crap. If something is not illegal, than it is legal. There doesn't have to be a law to make something legal, otherwise, it wouldn't be legal to breathe.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Eating hamburgers on tuesday is not illegal, neither is lane splitting
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #6
JELY1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
No offense, but that's a bunch of ignorant crap. If something is not illegal, than it is legal. There doesn't have to be a law to make something legal, otherwise, it wouldn't be legal to breathe.
So you don't believe in legal gray areas?

I based what I said off of this:

"Lane Splitting
Many motorcyclists new to California ask about "lane splitting". There is no "lane splitting" law as such. Perhaps the most relevant statute is CVC 21658, below. Be aware that phrasing like "...entirely within a single lane..." has been used to justify ticketing motorcyclists with their handlebars (or some other bike component) partly in each lane.

21658. Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.
(b) Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic to use a designated lane or allocating specified lanes to traffic moving in the same direction, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of the traffic device.

But don't despair. The official website of the California Highway Patrol includes a page of frequently asked questions. Among them:

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."
http://www.calmsta.org/ca_vc.htm

The fact that it is up to the cop whether or not to ticket the rider even if they're lane splitting perfectly safely makes it a gray area to me.

Also, you might as well not even use the term "no offense." If you're gonna be rude about something just do it outright.

Old November 19th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #7
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

No, I don't believe in legal gray areas, the reason for that is that everything is essentially a legal gray area.

We used to live in a free society, with clear cut laws, but these days, everything you do can somehow be construed as reckless endangerment, or public disturbance, or some other intentionally ambiguous law that asshole police like to use against people that they don't like.

The fact that certain asshole cops ticket people for inane violations when they are splitting lanes perfectly safely doesn't make it a moral gray area, it makes the cop an asshole.

And by the way, if you are in a lane, and there is a car next to you in the same lane, then having your handlebars in the next lane over is in the lane as nearly as practical.

If I walk into a Wendy's on a Saturday and eat a bacon cheeseburger in a peaceful manner, a police officer could decide that I am inciting racial hatred against jews and arrest me for public disturbance. That doesn't make eating bacon cheeseburgers on Saturday a gray area, any more than lane splitting is a moral gray area.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that when someone says that it isn't legal, it just isn't illegal, that's just being ignorant.

Old November 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Lychee
sail away

Quote:
Sorry, when it comes to California, that is the way it works. Most cops will leave you alone if you are lane splitting safely. Their reaction is different if you are doing it like an asshat. It is the same as how they treat bikes with pipes and flush mounts. Technically, those are "off road use only." Vehicle codes they can cite you for are driving over the lane dividers, unsafe lane change, passing on the right.... the list goes on. You may believe it ignorant, but you would be mistaken to believe it untrue.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4223253AAnoTO5
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=154980

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #9
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Sorry, when it comes to California, that is the way it works. Most cops will leave you alone if you are lane splitting safely. Their reaction is different if you are doing it like an asshat. It is the same as how they treat bikes with pipes and flush mounts. Technically, those are "off road use only." Vehicle codes they can cite you for are driving over the lane dividers, unsafe lane change, passing on the right.... the list goes on. You may believe it ignorant, but you would be mistaken to believe it untrue.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4223253AAnoTO5
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=154980
From your own link:
Quote:
Other sections commonly cited are unsafe passing, unsafe speed, following too closely, failure to signal lane change and a few others, all as applicable. I am not saying lanesharing cannot be done unsafely, I'm just saying that when it is done safely, it is 100% legal in CA.
Anything beyond that is irrelevant, it's like saying that driving is a gray area, because, technically, an officer can decide, at any time, that you are driving an unsafe speed, and ticket you for it, even if you are driving exactly at the speed limit.

The very nature of today's legal code makes everything, and I mean, absolutely everything, a "Gray Area", but lane splitting is no more so than anything else. The fact is, that when someone says that it is not legal, they are dead wrong.

Old November 19th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Man, you are way overreacting.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I havn't read the full post, but you may want to include info from this study, which found that 10% of cars being replaced by bikes which are allowed to filter reduces commutnig times by up to 40%, and could save 15,000 hours a day in a country a little bigger than Maryland & with the population of Ohio, & reduce their overall emissions by 6% (average car there would be in the range of 1.6 to 2.3l, they dont really do 6.2l V8s there)

http://www.tmleuven.be/project/motor...uting/home.htm

PDF version
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Lychee
sail away

Quote:
From your own link:

Anything beyond that is irrelevant, it's like saying that driving is a gray area, because, technically, an officer can decide, at any time, that you are driving an unsafe speed, and ticket you for it, even if you are driving exactly at the speed limit.

The very nature of today's legal code makes everything, and I mean, absolutely everything, a "Gray Area", but lane splitting is no more so than anything else. The fact is, that when someone says that it is not legal, they are dead wrong.
You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to disagree. Let's discuss. The California basic speed law states that you may never drive faster than is safe for current conditions. So, if you are driving at the posted speed limit and the LEO decides that the conditions are unsafe, you are not in a grey area at all, you are going against the basic speed law. I linked you to a public discussion to read. It would be more credible to pick quotations from a LEO, or the vehicle code. Where you are correct, is in saying that much of life, or "everything" as you stated, is in a legal grey area.

To clarify, things that are "illegal" are expressly written down in the vehicle code. Things that are "legal" are also expressly written in the vehicle code. It is not really the same as "eating a hamburger," but I understand the allegory. There is absolutely no California law that says you CAN lane split, therefore, it is not a "legal" practice. In fact, "lane splitting" is not addressed in the code at all. To say that lane sharing is "legal" would be equivalent to saying that a rider cannot be cited while doing it. That is a false statement. You can be lane sharing "safely" and still be cited. The power, much to your probable dismay, really does lie within the enforcing officer's trained interpretation of the situation.

It should also be noted that if you look at DMV handbooks, they always refer to lane splitting as not illegal and unsafe; never as legal or safe. Here's a quote I pulled: The California Motorcycle Handbook (California DMV 2012 pg.16) states that “lane sharing is not safe.” There is even a question on the M License test whose answer is to the tune of "lane splitting is always an unsafe practice." In the end what you gauge to be safe is subordinate to what the judge says was not safe. If you find yourself in that situation (talking to a judge), perhaps this discussion will be of use. Don't ever say that it is legal, they will throw the book at you. Say instead that although it was relatively unsafe, risks were mitigated and that certain conditions (weather, time of day, traction conditions, visibility, posted traffic lights, distracted prius driver approaching your mirror) warranted a practice not deemed illegal.

Here is a challenge: Ask a law enforcement officer for your own self-enlightenment. I predict they will dance around the issue and not commit to legal or illegal. They will always commit to "not illegal." There are quite a few LEO's on BARF. Give it a shot. At the minimum there will be a lively discussion of the search function.

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #13
JELY1990

Quote:
No, I don't believe in legal gray areas, the reason for that is that everything is essentially a legal gray area.

We used to live in a free society, with clear cut laws, but these days, everything you do can somehow be construed as reckless endangerment, or public disturbance, or some other intentionally ambiguous law that asshole police like to use against people that they don't like.

The fact that certain asshole cops ticket people for inane violations when they are splitting lanes perfectly safely doesn't make it a moral gray area, it makes the cop an asshole.

And by the way, if you are in a lane, and there is a car next to you in the same lane, then having your handlebars in the next lane over is in the lane as nearly as practical.

If I walk into a Wendy's on a Saturday and eat a bacon cheeseburger in a peaceful manner, a police officer could decide that I am inciting racial hatred against jews and arrest me for public disturbance. That doesn't make eating bacon cheeseburgers on Saturday a gray area, any more than lane splitting is a moral gray area.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that when someone says that it isn't legal, it just isn't illegal, that's just being ignorant.
Okay... I can see from your Wendy's example that we're not going to agree on anything. Let's agree to disagree

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #14
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I get tempted to lane split everyday to and from work on several roads and highways but it is just to sketchy for my liking. People can't drive to begin with and now i expect them to notice me spitting lanes? To much to ask for, not worth the risk for me + its illegal in MD

There are not enough bikes on the roads for it to help with traffic by allowing it and would IMO give bikers a green light to drive even more like idiots.

JMO
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #15
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Thanks for sticking to the intent of the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I havn't read the full post, but you may want to include info from this study, which found that 10% of cars being replaced by bikes which are allowed to filter reduces commutnig times by up to 40%, and could save 15,000 hours a day in a country a little bigger than Maryland & with the population of Ohio, & reduce their overall emissions by 6% (average car there would be in the range of 1.6 to 2.3l, they dont really do 6.2l V8s there)

http://www.tmleuven.be/project/motor...uting/home.htm

PDF version
Whiskey - Thanks again for the feedback. These responses are exactly what I was looking for.

All others - Thanks for your interest and feedback. Let's try to keep it scoped.

I could see why there remains a gray area in California that allows CHP to make the call for illegal lane splitting techniques. While I was out in California, I did see one s1000RR pulled over for excessive lane splitting. I do believe that California did not make it legal due to liability issues -- It would be easier to sue the state of California in accidents involving lane splitting if the law was specific changed to state it as legal (although the probability still doesn't change). Doesn't mean the plaintiff would win -- still would be a case-by-case review. But it could set a bad precedent if they said the law was legal and ...well...they pulled a report like the one above to defend why it should have never been legal.

We need to follow California's pattern in looking at it based on a case-by-case (gray area) instead of a black and white. Politically, it should calm some nerves. I did find one issue that could pose a problem. Our HOV express lanes in Virginia may be problem...We have sensors that will charge based on axle. I'm thinking lane splitting may actually get in the way and overcharge drivers for additional axles. Motorcyclists are not charged for traveling in the lane but I could see this being a real issue if the sensors are not smart enough to differentiate. It's not clear but I'll have to research.

Old November 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #16
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I get tempted to lane split everyday to and from work on several roads and highways but it is just to sketchy for my liking. People can't drive to begin with and now i expect them to notice me spitting lanes? To much to ask for, not worth the risk for me + its illegal in MD

There are not enough bikes on the roads for it to help with traffic by allowing it and would IMO give bikers a green light to drive even more like idiots.

JMO
Understandable. But that argument can be made anywhere. Spend some time in California and you'll hate it at first...then, it will make sense as you sit in traffic on the 405/605 or some long stretch of highway. Sometimes, having the option is helpful. Not sure how often you spend looking in your rear view or in other cars while riding, but take a sample yourself. Count how many times in stop and go traffic a driver is inching up from the rear in stop and go or a driver doesn't look prior to lane changing. Or if you are in the car, take a sample of 10 drivers on the road and count how many are on their phones. Not saying lane splitting is safe nor am I saying it's dangerous. It is pretty much relative in context to what is going on at the moment. There are qualitative risks and quantitative risks to be considered. Quantitative can actually be measured. Qualitative can't -- it's based off of feeling.

All motorcyclists ride with both types of risks. I don't see how lane splitting increasing the probability of danger. If anything, most motorists modify their behavior to adjust for this. Yes, it's a cultural shift. But it can be done.

And regarding the irresponsible riders out there, they shouldn't be the cause of why motorcyclists can't take advantage. I see a far greater number of sensible riders on average.

Old November 19th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #17
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Motus MSTR (Kara), 1990 Ninja 600R (ZX600C3) (Scrappy)

Quote:
...It is the same as how they treat bikes with pipes and flush mounts. Technically, those are "off road use only."
Pipes: Max A-weighted sound level as measured at 50 feet (WAC 173-62-030): 1)78dBA at 45mph or less; 2)82dBA over 45mph. Stationary 20 inch standard: Models before 1986--99dBA.

Turn signals: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...23&postcount=5

AFAIK, aftermarket exhausts are illegal; stock exhaust is ~96dBa or somesuch.

From what I've read; the turn signals need to have a surface area of ~3 square inches and 9 inches center to center of the bulbs. And 5 inches from the edge of the nearest brake light.
SabreValkyrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Lychee
sail away

Sorry for the thread jack earlier!

There is a 2011 study by a man named Steve Guderian which may interest you. Steve analyzed data from the NHTSA and showed statistics that suggest that in a rear end collision with a motorcycle in a lane splitting area (or one moving toward a lane splitting area) the chance of the motorcyclist recovering is much higher than one in which the car hits him directly from the rear. The potential for serious injuries is also lessened.

You can also draw on studies regarding the increase of rear end collisions due to the recent increase in distracted drivers.

Old November 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

In CA, most cops will consider lane sharing legal IF done safely. This means no weaving fulling in and out of lanes, not over speed limits and not being a general douche about it.

I've split a few times on the freeway when it's rush-hour. Once the freeway was shut down and if I wasn't able to split I would have keeled over from heat exhaustion (that did happen, but thankfully later when we were on a back road I was able to stop off the side of to peel all my gear off before passing out briefly).

I've never gone over 15-20mph. I have a stock bike. I'm mindful and careful about it.

It is a gray area but for all intents and purposes, I consider it legal as much as changing lanes is legal when there are still "unsafe lane change" laws.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #20
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry for the thread jack earlier!

There is a 2011 study by a man named Steve Guderian which may interest you. Steve analyzed data from the NHTSA and showed statistics that suggest that in a rear end collision with a motorcycle in a lane splitting area (or one moving toward a lane splitting area) the chance of the motorcyclist recovering is much higher than one in which the car hits him directly from the rear. The potential for serious injuries is also lessened.

You can also draw on studies regarding the increase of rear end collisions due to the recent increase in distracted drivers.
Thanks - That is a good statistic to write a statement around.