ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 10th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Roranninn
ninjette.org newbie

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 1989 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Bike will die after idling and doesn't want to start again

Hello everyone,

I have had my bike for a little more than a week and already had to take the petcock apart to clean a blockage.

Now my bike runs fine, but when it's idling, it will idle at the set rpm for about 20-30 secs before sputtering and dying if no throttle is applied. After dying, it doesn't want to start again, and acts like the carb is flooded.

I have a few ideas of what it might be, but I would love some of your opinions before I go and spend my money.

I'm thinking it may be the spark plugs, just from a few articles I've read. I'm also going to replace the fuel filter, just because it has a little bit of debris in it.
Roranninn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
stuck float valve or tank is vapor locked

Old April 10th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roranninn View Post
Hello everyone,

I have had my bike for a little more than a week and already had to take the petcock apart to clean a blockage.

Now my bike runs fine, but when it's idling, it will idle at the set rpm for about 20-30 secs before sputtering and dying if no throttle is applied. After dying, it doesn't want to start again, and acts like the carb is flooded.

I have a few ideas of what it might be, but I would love some of your opinions before I go and spend my money.

I'm thinking it may be the spark plugs, just from a few articles I've read. I'm also going to replace the fuel filter, just because it has a little bit of debris in it.
Having so much debris flowing down, the internal mesh filter that is inside the tank may be clogged up as well.
You can blow backwards through it with the petcock in on and reserve positions.
You may want to remove your tank and drain it through the filling cap, so all those flakes of rust get out.

As you know, the petcock is vacuum activated.
Any vacuum leak and it stops the flow of fuel.

The easy test for proper flow of gasoline is detaching the gas hose from the carbs and placing it in a glass container, opening the petcock and sucking from the vacuum hose.

Leave the spark plugs alone, they are fine.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.