ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:33 AM   #1
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier

I was looking to purchase a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier but they look a little flimsy. I was wondering if anyone has one or seen one and what are their opinions on it. Is it a good buy? I'm purchasing an SUV that can handle a tongue weight of 750lbs just in case anyone was wondering so i do have enough to support this carrier.

this is the one i'm considering which is available in canada, price in CAD

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....06*&lang=en-CA

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think some people have had great luck with them. One of the advantages of them, here in California at least, is that you can drive the full speed limit instead of being limited to 55 mph when dragging a normal trailer. I don't own one, but the things I've read about to watch out for is to make sure that whichever one you buy has a rock-solid system for solidly mounting within the hitch so it doesn't move the slightest bit back and forth. Also, even though the tongue weight may be rated for a max of 750 lbs, hanging a 400 lb weight right off the end of the bumper does affect even the largest SUV's, and some folks have found a need to upgrade their rear springs so the vehicle still handles appropriately and doesn't sag excessively. Our ninjette is one of the lighter bikes out there, but full of fuel it's still almost 380 pounds.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have seen them in use and they work very well. If you have not allready, you will need to buy a set of straps to secure the bike to the carrier. Thes can be found at any motorcycle dealer.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

LilOne - I just did a quick eye ball with my tape measure on my '09 and the clearance from the center line to hitch might make things real close (Distance from centre of platform to hitch receiver: 36.2 cm (14.3 in.).

Not having the '01 any more can't make a guess on yours. If you put it up on the center stand and then measure from the CL or the wheel to the outside of the muffler that should tell you.

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM   #5
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

I have hauled a Dual Sport all over the Southeast on a hitch carrier and it works great. The bike weighs less than 300# though, and I haul it behind a Suburban. Even with that combo I can feel the weight back there, and it causes a little sway at interstate speeds. Sport bikes are a little harder to strap down, and they weigh more. It's a good concept if you get the right bike behind the right vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch2.jpg (66.2 KB, 16 views)
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM   #6
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0kediver View Post
I have hauled a Dual Sport all over the Southeast on a hitch carrier and it works great. The bike weighs less than 300# though, and I haul it behind a Suburban. Even with that combo I can feel the weight back there, and it causes a little sway at interstate speeds. Sport bikes are a little harder to strap down, and they weigh more. It's a good concept if you get the right bike behind the right vehicle.
Just as a test for Blue Raven can you try and load your ninja on there and see how it works and let us know?

Old June 1st, 2009, 05:39 AM   #7
BlueRaven

Here is the big toy i'm considering to buy. The more i think about it the less i want it. I've never owned an american vehicle before and it makes me anxious cause the value will drop so fast and they are less dependable than japanese vehicles. I really wish my current small suv could haul more weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '09 jeep liberty.jpg (20.8 KB, 7 views)

Old June 1st, 2009, 06:41 AM   #8
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
Here is the big toy i'm considering to buy. The more i think about it the less i want it. I've never owned an american vehicle before and it makes me anxious cause the value will drop so fast and they are less dependable than japanese vehicles. I really wish my current small suv could haul more weight.
What is the rated tongue load on your current suv?

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Blue - there is no way I'd hang one of those off of a Jeep Liberty. That's a unibody car styled like an SUV, and it's not even a particularly good car.

If you want to use a hitchmount, you really do need a full-size truck or SUV, i.e. Tahoe/Suburban/Navigator/Armada/Expedition/etc. If I really wanted a Jeep and wanted to do this, the only two real possibilities are the Grand Cherokee or the Commander (which is just a restyled Grand Cherokee anyway). Also, the tongue-weight spec I found for the Jeep Liberty says 300 pounds: http://trucks.about.com/library/bl/bl_05jeepliberty.htm

EDIT: I do see now that they do rate it at 750 lb tongue weight with the 3.7L and the tow package. I'd really try and find someone who has gone that route before trying it out for the first time after you've made the purchase.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

you can probably get one of those cheap 1 or 2 rail fold up trailers for the same cost as the hitch thing. you can pull that with the liberty.

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Snake

I have seen some properly equiped Jeeps tow a ski boat before. Like I said it has to be properly equped and rated:
(1) A frame mounted hitch not bumper.
(2) Overload springs or air assist on back, etc.
Also BlueRaven is a truck driver used to hauling heavy loads.

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Absolutely! And towing a bike is a piece of cake for just about any vehicle; I've done it happily with small cars. But the hitchmount puts a very significant weight smack on the rear bumper of the vehicle, and doing that on just about any small or even midsize vehicle will drastically change the handling, if it is even safe and secure enough to carry it at all. It's a neat option that has its advantages, but you really need a full-size vehicle with a rear suspension that can handle it; a unibody car just isn't suitable.

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM   #13
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Just as a test for Blue Raven can you try and load your ninja on there and see how it works and let us know?
Hitch Carriers are motorcycle specific. Mine is for a dual sport, with two tie down points (handlebar left/right). Sport bikes require a four point tie down. My Ninja can't be secured on my hitch carrier.

I also wonder if the short breakover angle on a sport bike would make it harder to load (not enough ground clearance to go from the ramp to the rail).
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #14
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I just found this one in a Motorcyclist issue:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...als/index.html

Old June 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #15
BlueRaven

Alex the liberty has a full frame and can tow 1,500lbs more than the cherokee. It is built for towing as all libertys with factory towing package are equipped sway control 7 pin wiring with the attachement from a 7 to 4 pin. I don't know about the libertys in the us but we only have the 3.7 litres and all libertys are 4x4 here.

My current suv is a unibody and only has a tongue weight of 200lbs.

Picking up the Liberty tomorrow hope all goes well and i don't cry too much when i give my keys away to the new owners.

Old June 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I thought the Liberty was another Nitro/Patriot/Compass clone:

Liberty:

liberty1.jpg Liberty2.jpg

Patriot:

patriot2.jpg patriot1.jpg

But you're right, it's not, it's basically the replacement for the original Cherokee, and they evidently still call it Cherokee in many places outside of North America. Good luck with your new machine, and hope it works out well to carry your ninjette around!

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #17
MaiaSymone
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Maria

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Anyone tried motorcycle hitch carriers?

I was wondering for a while now how the practical use of a motorcycle carrier on my class III hitch would realistically be. For some reason I picture my SUV being tipped over or my vehicles rear being ripped off as my motorcycle is dropped onto the road after a going over a pothole. I know the tongue weight capacity would support it, but I just worry. Has anyone purchased and tried one? Here's the link of an example...
http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600...cle-hauler.htm
Thanks for your help.
MaiaSymone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #18
BlueRaven

I should get mine tomorrow i can try it out this weekend and let you know. I ordered the Boss hitch carrier. Make sure that the tongue weight is enough to carry both your carrier and your bike.

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #19
noche_caliente

Maria - here was the feedback from BR's post about it:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20905

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #20
MaiaSymone
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Maria

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Thanks so much BlueRaven and Kim. Sorry for the repeated topic. Some great info, though! Good luck on the use of your carrier, Raven! Hopefully the delivery is a swift one.
MaiaSymone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #21
BlueRaven

Well got the carrier. Took over an hour to figure how to assemble this thing as it came with no instructions. Looked on the website to see how it was all tied up. All i have to say i would NOT recommend buying the Boss Hitch Mounted Carrier.

Here are my reasons. I have to admit it is well built. Once i had the bike on which took 3 ppl, one to hold 2 to push it up we noticed a problem. We had to lean the bike away from my vehicle as the exhaust would not clear the beam where the ramp pins to the frame and the foot peg that i forgot to pull in cause i was on the other side of the bike. The foot peg scratched the frame of the carrier not mention the rubber of the bottom of my peg got ripped. Once tied down every thing looked ok. Notice my brake disk was barely touching the metal where the wheel goes in. The piece at the end turned unexpectedly and my wheel dropped in. Another thing i noticed after the wheel dropped is that the bottom of my fairings was resting on the ramp.

Tricky part was when i got home. I was by myself and should of known that the worse was yet to come. Had loosened the tie down a bit to lean the bike for the muffler to clear then had to pull the bike up to take weight of the pin the bike started leaning to the left and i caught and noticed one of the tie down came off. Retighteded it. Brought ramp down ok. Tried to get wheel off the hole but was too hard so i jumped on my bumper lifted the bike off the hole with my hand on the front brake and noticed the bike was backing up pretty fast and started leaning as the front tire almost reached the ground then dropped it. Will have to take a better look at the damage tomorrow as it was dark but noticed the part that my foot peg is attached to broke clean off and not too mention scratches on my left fairing. The kickstand seemed off so i figure the piece it's attached to got bent too. The moral of this story don't do anything by yourself. Twice the bike dropped and i wasn't even on it both times. Forgot to take pics but did take some of the broken piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0719092334a.jpg (72.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 0719092334b.jpg (77.7 KB, 15 views)

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #22
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

That sucks. Can you return the carrier and get your money back?
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #23
Broom
Track Junkie

bummer.

i had a brain fart and dropped mine while loosening the tie downs on the trailer last weekend. fell over onto the side railing. I got lucky and it didn't do any real damage though.

looks like some rearsets are in your future

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #24
noche_caliente

sorry to hear about the damage br - it sucks how brittle those rearsets are! There's a seller on e-bay, they have things in bright green labels- Chaplin or something like that, where you can get a new one for a reasonable price, or you can look for a part-out...

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #25
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

I tipped mines in the trailer while bringing it back from MN before I even rode it was well. Horrible felling, well until i trashed it a couple more times.

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #26
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Sad news... Make the camper look good.

Hope it looks better in the light of day

Take care
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #27
BlueRaven

Can return the carrier and get a full refund. Ordered the piece today should be here on wednesday. Only cost $88 + $12 for shipping cause i wanted the piece before the weekend. Was going the get it welded but didn't feel confident about how strong the weld would be as it is white metal. The fender was scratched really bad but no cracks so it can be painted or can cover it with the vinyl flames i want to order. It would be cheaper than buy both fairings.

Called about the camper and he wants $14G for it even it was dented, the lady sideswiped into her house...way too expensive for a used 15 footer.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM   #28
mithrin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Audrey

Motorcycle(s): 06' Ninja 250

Kind of new here, but I was wondering what would be the best hitch to get for a 06' Kawasaki Ninja 250. I've never purchased one, and I'm going to be making a long trip out west soon, so any recommendations?
mithrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #29
BlueRaven

I would suggest a trailer preferably enclosed so the bike does not get dusty and hit by rocks. Depending of what vehicle you drive it would depend on the tongue weight capabilities but i won't put my bike on a hitch carrier again. Welcome to our forum.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM   #30
Broom
Track Junkie

i just hook my trailer up to the bumper on my titan. the bike and a small trailer don't weigh enough to warrant a receiver as long as your bumper is rated for at least a few hundred pounds tongue weight.

i've even got a big toobox, pit bike, and other supplies on there. its still good to go.

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #31
mithrin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Audrey

Motorcycle(s): 06' Ninja 250

I'm actually leaning toward a trailer now. And since a hitch seems unstable/unsuitable for the journey, it makes sense to get a trailer, I am going to be moving anyway.
mithrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #32
BlueRaven

Seems like the logical choice as you can bring more stuff with a trailer. By the way Mithrin you should introduce yourself in the new members section and post pics of your ninja if you have some.

Old July 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #33
noche_caliente

Welcome Audry We might be riding up on the parkway between Waynesboro and Buena Vista next weekend - check out the group rides section

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #34
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Hey Rave.. don't know if you still into researching trailers at this point but I came across this "trailer in a bag" thing tonite..... seems interesting for a bike the size of a 250. Once loaded I'd just put a "full cover" over the bike to protect it from stones, rain, etc.... take a gander at the web page and video sample......
http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Sin...-Bag-Stb1.aspx
May not fit the bill but I'd thought it was interesting.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM   #35
BlueRaven

I had sent an email explaining my issues with the hitch carrier is not suited for our bikes back in July and they replied they would try to design a ramp if i was willing to keep the carrier. I received an email last week that indicated they had finally made a ramp so i wouldn't have to lower my carrier to put the bike on and they would send it free of charge. I have expressed how shocked i was that a canadian company would go so far to please their customers and they were grateful for the feedback.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #36
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
Alex the liberty has a full frame and can tow 1,500lbs more than the cherokee. It is built for towing as all libertys with factory towing package are equipped sway control 7 pin wiring with the attachement from a 7 to 4 pin. I don't know about the libertys in the us but we only have the 3.7 litres and all libertys are 4x4 here.

My current suv is a unibody and only has a tongue weight of 200lbs.

Picking up the Liberty tomorrow hope all goes well and i don't cry too much when i give my keys away to the new owners.
I don't know what they're selling as "Jeep Liberty's" in Canada, but the only Jeep that has been produced with a body-on-frame construction since '92 is the Wrangler YJ, TJ, and JK. Everything else is unibody (or uni-frame as Jeep sometimes likes to call it).
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #37
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I bought a 4X8 Landscape trailer from Lowe`s for $500 US. Bolted a 4X8 piece of plywood down to the steel mesh floor. Screwed a pair of 2X4`s the length of the floor to act as a track, and put two 2X4`s vertically on the front of the trailer to secure the front wheel. Finally, six attachment eyes were bolted to the trailer floor using large fender washers on the other side of the steel mesh floor. The tie downs are the ratcheted variety available at most automotive stores. Total investment $575US. What I like about landscape trailers is tyhat they have a great wide ramp. I can pull this rig with my Pontiac Vibe (1.8L engine with a 5SP) with no problem. There is still plenty of room for other stuff.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM   #38
BlueRaven

i was gonna go with a trailer but if i do i loose the option of bringing my tent trailer as well. was looking for a way to bring both. in the future i will be definitely look into a toy hauler but budget is a little slim right now.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM   #39
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Question 400 Lb. Receiver-Mount Motorcycle Carrier?

Anyone here use something like this for their 2Fiddy?

400 Lb. Receiver-Mount Motorcycle Carrier
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99721

FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM   #40
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

I was looking at these a few years back for use with dirt bikes and Dual Sports. I read a bunch of reviews that seemed like they worked well enough. If you google it, I am sure you can find reviews on it. Sorry I wasn't more help....
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote