ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 26th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #1
crackez
ninjette.org member

Name: Kostas

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R (2009 European Model)

Ninja 250R 2009 European model(FI) Valve Adjustment

Hi everone,

I have a quick question, I've got a ninja 250r 2009 (FI - Europe version) and I hear the valves, I mean that tik tik sound if you know what I mean(Its louder than before..although I didn't use my bike for ~2yr ..it was sitting around).

Should I go and fix that? (I know from a moped that I had, Honda Astrea Supra that you have to do this sometime, especially when I modified my moped from 97.1cc to 115cc I adjust the valves myself)

P.S. I'm not a mechanic but from what I know is that its better to hear the valves rather than be over tight)
crackez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #2
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackez View Post
Hi everone,

I have a quick question, I've got a ninja 250r 2009 (FI - Europe version) and I hear the valves, I mean that tik tik sound if you know what I mean(Its louder than before..although I didn't use my bike for ~2yr ..it was sitting around).

Should I go and fix that? (I know from a moped that I had, Honda Astrea Supra that you have to do this sometime, especially when I modified my moped from 97.1cc to 115cc I adjust the valves myself)

P.S. I'm not a mechanic but from what I know is that its better to hear the valves rather than be over tight)
How many miles do you have on the bike? You are supposed to do valve adjustments around 7,500miles (about 12,000km).
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......P.S. I'm not a mechanic but from what I know is that its better to hear the valves rather than be over tight)
Correct; however, the noise can also be produced by a loose or worn cam chain.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #4
crackez
ninjette.org member

Due to the fact the the engine broke at about 9-9500km (I've mention that on an very old post of mine), I have currently 11.700 so minus the 9-9500km its about 2.200 give or take.

Bear in mind that gearbox for example is not new, they replace all the broken parts.

You'll have the same sound for sure but the problem is that I think it was more quite than this. Ok I haven't ride the bike for ~2yrs but especially in 3-4k rpm you can hear it pretty good(the tik tik sound :P).

Can someone try and rev his bike to 3 to 4 thousand rpm(with or without gear, it doesn't matter)?

P.S. In my moped I was adjusting the space with a metal filler(don't know if its the right word in English) but it was a tool with many metals with different thickness(measured in mm) so I was adjusting the space as the manufacturer recommended. I guess something simular should be done with this case, although I'm waiting for a reply if someone rev its engine and hear the tik tik sound I'm talking about(and how loud it was). Without gear its not very loud, if you find a downhill and have a gear on it.. in 3-4 thousand rpm you'll hear it quite loud. Maybe I'm too careful I don't know but after the engine blow up, I'm very careful to avoid simular situation.

Going 160km/h and having the engine blow is not a funny thing, its like OMG, WTF plus I hope I don't fall in the ground with that speed(I didn't but I was lucky..)

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.........P.S. In my moped I was adjusting the space with a metal filler(don't know if its the right word in English) but it was a tool with many metals with different thickness(measured in mm) so I was adjusting the space as the manufacturer recommended. I guess something simular should be done with this case............
We call that thing a thickness gauge.

Check these DIY:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83284

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9787

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9924

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73240

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2008_n..._clearance.htm

Old May 27th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
crackez
ninjette.org member

The videos are all dead links, in this link http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2008_n..._clearance.htm I see the "filler" I was talking about or thickness gauge as you said

I've got one but I'm not sure I wanna do it myself, its a different thing screwing around with a moped and different with my ninja

..although my honda astrea supra when tunned from 97.1cc to ~113cc(from 50mm piston to 53mm) did manage to get 140km/h on tachometer with exhaust and stock filter removed of source. Stock was reaching ~100km/h on tachometer. In my moped I've change heads, camshafts, carburators.. I've put oil radiator and all that just myself. But I don't want to "try" my luck with the ninja.

So do we have anyone tested his bike to see what happens on 3-4k rpm? if he/she listens to the "tik" sound?

Old May 27th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
The videos are all dead links...........
Sorry !!!

Maybe @Alex can help with those links.

Old May 28th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #8
crackez
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Sorry !!!

Maybe @Alex can help with those links.
Its ok I'll find out, so a general rule is that its exhaust should be 0.22-0.29mm, and the intake 0.15-0.24mm

P.S. Before I fix that I want to remove the chain and dip it in clear gasoline(probably you call it something else but its gasoline that's clear(transparent) and its for cleaning purposes, it will dissolve the old oils-lubrication/durt/dust etc and make my chain shinning, then a good lubrication and I'm set) - Then I'll go to that kawasaki shop to fix the valves(..oh dear, I hope it won't tear apart my bike again :P)

EDIT: I forgot that the chain is not removable(no master link) so I've spend hours and hours cleaning it, anyway today I'm going to that kawasaki shop and see if I can get that valve adjustment because its been annoying

Last futzed with by crackez; May 29th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Old May 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Exclamation

Quote:
...............P.S. Before I fix that I want to remove the chain and dip it in clear gasoline(probably you call it something else but its gasoline that's clear(transparent) and its for cleaning purposes, it will dissolve the old oils-lubrication/durt/dust etc and make my chain shinning, then a good lubrication and I'm set...........
No, no !!!!!!!!!!

Gasoline is bad for the O-rings of your transmission chain (the chain that moves the rear wheel), use kerosene and a soft non-metal brush to clean it.

The cam chain does not need any cleaning.

Old May 29th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #10
crackez
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No, no !!!!!!!!!!

Gasoline is bad for the O-rings of your transmission chain (the chain that moves the rear wheel), use kerosene and a soft non-metal brush to clean it.

The cam chain does not need any cleaning.

I couldn't do any of that anyway, the chain is fixed from the factory. I took a cloth and wipe it very good for hours and a very hard toothbrush the result is quite good. I also fix the tension of the chain, the sticker in my swing arm says 20-30mm which is 2-3cm and mine was at about 4cm(40mm)

The liquid I'm talking look like this http://zilos.gr/image/cache/data/ZIL...ni-350x350.jpg

Now only the valves left to do(I'd love to do it myself but I don't want to experiment in my ninja for the first time, if I see the kawa people do it I'll do it next time my own)

Old May 29th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Yes, that is benzina or nafta or bencina, which is refined gasoline.

Old May 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #12
crackez
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes, that is benzina or nafta or bencina, which is refined gasoline.
Can I just take off the chain with a tool(I mean does anyone done it?) and put a master o ring so it'll because easy to remove

P.S. I know that there are tools to do that, I'm having one for my bicycle but I've seen some videos on youtube from people who tried to remove the chain and they finally cut the chain because their tools got busted :P

Old May 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
kerosene is better to use than naphtha

Old June 6th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #14
crackez
ninjette.org member

I went to the official kawasaki dealer that I bought my ninja back in 2009, the service department hear the engine.. one of its technicians drove it and found nothing. They told me that probably I forgot how the engine sounds (lol)

..hopefully they are right