ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #41
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
its all good. no offense taken, i been around forums a while, i know how it goes lol plus, ibhave thick skin, so thick im willing to ride in a pair of bull-it jeans
please do not do it

VIDEO

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #42
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
please do not do it

VIDEO
lets forget about being better than leather claims. do you not think these would protect me as well, if not better than kevlar jeans?
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #43
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
please do not do it

VIDEO
No link!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #44
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
IDK I am sure leather is best right now and that is what I had on today in 92 and high humidity today. Business casual under leather.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2016, 04:02 AM   #45
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
lets forget about being better than leather claims. do you not think these would protect me as well, if not better than kevlar jeans?
Probably. But are you focusing so much on material that you've lost sight of the whole picture?

Kevlar jeans are not all the same.... see the link to that UK article in one of the other threads on this, the one with the guy wearing kevlar jeans that came apart so badly that the pic was bordering on NSFW. The best, most abrasion-resistant material ever created will do NOTHING to protect you if it's not covering your skin, right?

The same caveats that apply to leather pants hold with jeans, but more so. The protective layer is not the entire garment... it's panels stitched to the inside of the actual denim pants.

So abrasion aside, there are real questions about quality and style of stitching, and its ability to hold together. I think it's beyond doubt that cotton fabric and cotton thread will not withstand any kind of abrasion at all.

So... What kind of thread, for example? What kind of seam? The best leathers use Kevlar thread and seams that interlock for precisely this reason... so they won't rip apart.

Similar caveats apply regarding whether the armor will stay in place or not. Loose, which is comfortable and stylish in jeans, by definition means that the armor can move away from the area it's meant to protect. So "will this protect me as well as Kevlar jeans" depends in part on fit.

If you give some thought to how a garment works in total (not just according to one measure) you can make an informed choice and make the compromise that fits your needs.

Work it through. Picture in detail what will happen if you go down.

- Impact
- Sliding
- Friction that will grab, twist and pull at the fabric
- Abrasion that will eat away at whatever comes in contact with the ground

So style, comfort, materials etc. aside, what do you need to address those consequences of crashing? After all, that's the whole point of the exercise. If it doesn't matter, just go buy some plain jeans, save yourself some money and cross your fingers.

In other words: Magic materials don't automatically make riding jeans the be-all and end-all. This is a system and material is just one part of it.

- Impact: Armor that spreads the load, covering the areas most likely to hit something (knees, hips, tailbone, etc.)
- Sliding: Material that allows you to slide and come to a stop gently, vs. something that will grab and make you tumble
- Friction: Something that fits well enough and is sturdy enough to stay in place, and keep the armor where it's supposed to be
- Abrasion: Something that will allow you to come to a stop before it disappears

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #46
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Probably. But are you focusing so much on material that you've lost sight of the whole picture?

Kevlar jeans are not all the same.... see the link to that UK article in one of the other threads on this, the one with the guy wearing kevlar jeans that came apart so badly that the pic was bordering on NSFW. The best, most abrasion-resistant material ever created will do NOTHING to protect you if it's not covering your skin, right?

The same caveats that apply to leather pants hold with jeans, but more so. The protective layer is not the entire garment... it's panels stitched to the inside of the actual denim pants.

So abrasion aside, there are real questions about quality and style of stitching, and its ability to hold together. I think it's beyond doubt that cotton fabric and cotton thread will not withstand any kind of abrasion at all.

So... What kind of thread, for example? What kind of seam? The best leathers use Kevlar thread and seams that interlock for precisely this reason... so they won't rip apart.

Similar caveats apply regarding whether the armor will stay in place or not. Loose, which is comfortable and stylish in jeans, by definition means that the armor can move away from the area it's meant to protect. So "will this protect me as well as Kevlar jeans" depends in part on fit.

If you give some thought to how a garment works in total (not just according to one measure) you can make an informed choice and make the compromise that fits your needs.

Work it through. Picture in detail what will happen if you go down.

- Impact
- Sliding
- Friction that will grab, twist and pull at the fabric
- Abrasion that will eat away at whatever comes in contact with the ground

So style, comfort, materials etc. aside, what do you need to address those consequences of crashing? After all, that's the whole point of the exercise. If it doesn't matter, just go buy some plain jeans, save yourself some money and cross your fingers.

In other words: Magic materials don't automatically make riding jeans the be-all and end-all. This is a system and material is just one part of it.

- Impact: Armor that spreads the load, covering the areas most likely to hit something (knees, hips, tailbone, etc.)
- Sliding: Material that allows you to slide and come to a stop gently, vs. something that will grab and make you tumble
- Friction: Something that fits well enough and is sturdy enough to stay in place, and keep the armor where it's supposed to be
- Abrasion: Something that will allow you to come to a stop before it disappears
great post, and i understand everything you are saying. i also think i may have come across wrong, because you are under the impression i choose style>protection when it comes to the pants. leather pants all day every day is just not practical for me. im looking for the next best thing, whether it be a cordura pant, kevlar lined jean, covec lined jean, or whatever

. . .and why can i not "like" or "find post helpful"? theres no button to hit lol
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #47
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:

. . .and why can i not "like" or "find post helpful"? theres no button to hit lol
Its a privilege, not a right... One day you will get it too
I thumbed it for ya

Old September 10th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #48
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Something to think about when it comes to testing:

First off in the past few years there has been a rise in counterfeit PPE, including ARC flash clothing.
Just because it has a CE or UL on it doesn't mean it was tested.
So, first verify the testing done. On CE and UL there is a code for the type of test done. On some of the counterfeit clothing the code is incorrect or there are misspellings, like "Made in Colifornia", or "OSA made", "Maid in USA", etc.
An abrasion test for fabric wear is different than an abrasion test for PPE (gear). So just like the threads on go go leggings (or whatever the name was) the testing performed does not meet the standard for crashing on asphalt.

Always verify the test.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #49
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I wanna go go get me some leggings an an armored yoga t and ride off into the sunset

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #50
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I just want unlimited vacation - paid, with a bottomless bank account so I can ride everyday all day and everywhere. I figured it would take a lifetime to hit all the good roads, all the tracks and to ride to Alaska and back.

Old September 10th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #51
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Me too

Old September 12th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #52
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
I fell asleep while taking a corner on my bike due to fatigue. The jacket I was wearing was a cordura plus mesh. The boots I was wearing was an army certified boots for war. Courtesy as a present from a dear friend of mine. The gloves I was wearing was a custom made Fieldsheer gloves which cost me below than $30. I escaped unharmed only having bruises and an overstretched knee. But recently I spent almost "an arm and a leg" for a leather jacket and pants.

Why? Because it has been proven over and over again. I totally agree with adouglas

Testing the material yourself is not a good move. Take it from a guy which always spend the least with exchange for his luck. I was lucky the last time i wore those things. I might not the next time.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.