Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Farkles

Notices

Old March 16th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Rekognize
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

HOW-TO: Install Brake Light Modulator

Grab the attention of the distracted cager behind you with a brake light modulator. This tiny device emits a series of light pulses whenever the brakes are applied.

Link to original page on YouTube.

I got mine from eBay seller zowwie438 for $21 shipped. Arrived quickly and quality is pretty good.

Here's a step by step guide to installing a brake light modulator on your Ninja 300:

1. Get your modulator, a led bulb, side cutter and needle nose pliers.

2. Open the bike's trunk and locate the brake light harness. Carefully slice the heatshrink tubing open to expose the three wires -- blue, black, and red.

3. Splice the modulator between the blue wires (signal). The single red wire with the yellow label goes towards the led bulb.

4. Black goes with black. Carefully expose the copper wiring and tap the modulator's black wire to the brake light harness.

5. Solder the wires together (optional), get electrical tape, wrap it all up and pat yourself in the back for a job well done!

Rekognize is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Nice work! /linked

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #3
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I tried a couple of brake modulators and zowwie438 's modulator is by far the best!

Nice write up.

Everyone should do this!

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Rekognize
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Thanks guys, you can't see it on the video because stupid me didn't hold the brake long enough.

The modulator flashes 4x quick ones, then 4x slow, and then steady.

Also note that this only works with LED bulbs

Greater Toronto Area 250/300 Riding Group
Rekognize is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
zowwie438
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): VStar, VS1400

Rekognize... You rock! Excellent write up my friend!

Well folks... This is Zowwie438... The guy who sells these on ebay.

I am also the man who does way too many hospital visits at the ICU for downed bikers and way too many funerals! This is why I started selling these things... To save me from seeing another man on a ventilator... or worse.

I have had enough of sitting in ICU's with a grief stricken heart because there is nothing I can do to sooth the pain of those waiting for what the doc has to say.

Here in Ohio they passed that anti-texting legislation that is nothing but a joke! People still text... Just before we had a fighting chance cuz they would hold their phone up on the steering wheel. But now with fines, folks are holding their phone by their lap and looking straight down!!! They STILL text, just now they ain't looking forward anymore!!!!

WE HAVE TO PROTECT OUR BACKSIDE!!! Stay in gear while @ the light, have your escape route mapped out... And watch those mirrors like a hawk!

Since Rekognize did such an amazing job... I will extend to all members of this forum the modulators for 15.00 (shipped)! Just go online, pay the 21.00 and send me a message saying "Rekognize sent me" and I will refund you 6.00 when I ship it.

I will extend this offer until 05/19/2013. So come get'm! If you can do simple wiring, you can manage this install.

And thanks AI4PX... You rock too bro!
zowwie438 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

It's late... just got called into work due to a bad storm and waiting on the machines to start running again....

Zowwie's list of things to do at an intersection is dead on...

I'd like to add
1)get a headlight modulator,
2)sew a reflective patch on the back of your jacket such as .
3)Get a reflective sticker cut at your local vinyl sign shop and put it on your helmet.
4)Don't go so fast in the twisties that you end up appearing from out of nowhere to the cagers who may be waiting to turn onto the road you are on.
5)If you are in a situation where you think surely that guy will see me and stop, he hasn't and he won't.

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
zowwie438
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
It's late... just got called into work due to a bad storm and waiting on the machines to start running again....

Zowwie's list of things to do at an intersection is dead on...

I'd like to add
1)get a headlight modulator,
2)sew a reflective patch on the back of your jacket such as .
3)Get a reflective sticker cut at your local vinyl sign shop and put it on your helmet.
4)Don't go so fast in the twisties that you end up appearing from out of nowhere to the cagers who may be waiting to turn onto the road you are on.
5)If you are in a situation where you think surely that guy will see me and stop, he hasn't and he won't.
Yeah.. The more the better... BUT... What would REALLY work best... Is get one of those AR15 motorcycle mounts that they are using on the police bikes.

It bolts onto the rear frame and axle bolt and the AR sits really proud in clear view.

NOW THAT would take care of some tail gaters for ya.

PLUS... The cops would really see you then. Almost no chance of getting rear ended by them... Cuz they would be 50 feet back at all times. LOL

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Instead of the AR15 mount, you could simply install a rear facing flame thrower. Really helps with the tailgaters.

Old March 21st, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9
zowwie438
ninjette.org newbie

AI4PX - Should be there Fri/Sat

AIPX.. Looks like that thing should be arriving soon. Check your tracking number.

Thanks again for your business!!! I really appreciate it.

Be safe out there.

++Todd

Old March 24th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #10
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Norman

Motorcycle(s): BMW K12RS, DL650 , New 2013 "WonderBike" Ninja300SE

Does anyone know where I can source the appropriate LED stop/brake light to replace the std bulb?
Xplorguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #11
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

I think Zowie has a bulb listed on his ebay site (along with a very cool bumper snicker). I got LEDs for my car from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ .

Wes

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #12
zowwie438
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
Does anyone know where I can source the appropriate LED stop/brake light to replace the std bulb?
Most brake light bulbs are a standard 1157, even in metric bikes. It's a bionet style fitting with two prongs that are offset on the sides.

LED bulbs come in many different forms... From flat panels, to round, etc, etc.

PepBoys, Autozone, ORileys and many others carry them now. Most run about 20 bucks or so. But prices are coming down.

The other option is to use LED strips... I use some from PepBoys called MAX and they are so bright they hurt your eyes! 40 bucks for two 18" strips that you can cut and configure how you want.

You can get red to put on the bike a little higher... or you can get white and use them inside your existing lense if you want.

The possibilities are endless.

Just keep the receipt... That way if you don't like the bulb or it's brightness or directional pattern... You can take it back.

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #13
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Get the biggest+brightest red tower-style LED replacement bulb you can from superbrightleds.com or autolumentation or a similar reputable (not ebay. Don't let the price entice you) site. Brightness and contrast between low and high are key when choosing a brake light bulb.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #14
zowwie438
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Get the biggest+brightest red tower-style LED replacement bulb you can from superbrightleds.com or autolumentation or a similar reputable (not ebay. Don't let the price entice you) site. Brightness and contrast between low and high are key when choosing a brake light bulb.
YES!!!!! I will agree! I ran a non-profit on driver safety for many years and the contrast change from parking to brake is HUGE!!!!

On my bike... I have my factory brake light do it's thing... But I have a VERY bright LED strip that sits higher on the luggage rack that is nothing but brake.

Reason being... it's the closest thing to the cagers eye level and when I hit the brake, they have a 100% contrast change from nothing to red flashing.

This is similar reasoning behind the third brake light found on cars... There is not parking bulb feature on those. It's all brake baby... for max contrast change.

Now... If I can mount a Kinect to the back of the bike to pinpoint where the cagers eyeballs are and fire a red laser at that coordinates... Then I may be able to beam it directly to their brain. LOL

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Why is a red LED recommended when used with a red lens as in our stop/brake lens? It would seem to me that if the LED bulb were white it would appear brighter as seen through the stop/brake lens........

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #16
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Incandescent bulbs make all colors of light. It appears white to us because that's how light works. Think of a lens as a color filter. It blocks all but the color you want.

With an incandescent bulb, a red lens filters all but the red light, making a bright red light for us to see.

LED's produce only a certain frequency (only one color at a time) of light. If you put a white LED behind a red lens, there's no red light coming through. The result is a pink-ish white color. However, a red LED behind a red lens makes a deep red color.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #17
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
Why is a red LED recommended when used with a red lens as in our stop/brake lens? It would seem to me that if the LED bulb were white it would appear brighter as seen through the stop/brake lens........
LED lamps draw 1/4 the current of a regular lamp... a regular lamp would blow up the modulator by drawing too much current.

ALso, incandescent lamps take 1/2 a second to come on, LEDs are full bright within microseconds. The blink function would be lost with a lamp that took the better part of a second to come on.

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #18
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Incandescent bulbs make all colors of light. It appears white to us because that's how light works. Think of a lens as a color filter. It blocks all but the color you want.

With an incandescent bulb, a red lens filters all but the red light, making a bright red light for us to see.

LED's produce only a certain frequency (only one color at a time) of light. If you put a white LED behind a red lens, there's no red light coming through. The result is a pink-ish white color. However, a red LED behind a red lens makes a deep red color.
Thanks, Chris. You just saved me from myself because I was sorely tempted to order a white led instead of red. "Pinkish-White" would be unacceptable!

Old September 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM   #19
superflytako
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2013 Ninja 300 ABS (RIP), 2015 FZ-09 (sold)

Just installed mine today, pretty straightforward and now braking is much more animated
superflytako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 06:09 PM   #20
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Sorry for the slight bump, but what LED did you buy? That looks to have over 112 LEDs. Is it super bright and does it have a good contrast? And it fits perfectly in the brake light assembly? Last question, what base bulb do I need? Same as the turn signals (BAU15S)? @Rekognize
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM   #21
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

In case anyone was wondering what LED bulb to buy, Rekognize on another forum pointed out that he used the following bulb with the modulator.

2X 1157 RED SMD 96-LED TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS BULBS/BULB

Hope it helps anyone interested in doing this mod.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #22
NinjaJakey
NinjaNoob :D

Name: Jakey

how can i get one of these in Australia?

I'm getting my bike licence in January and getting a Ninja 300,

Thank You, I wanna do everything I can to stay safe on the roads

PS: i don't and can't use paypal

Old December 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #23
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I have to "back off!" modulator (Not sure if that is its proper name) installed and I have noticed that people tend to stay farther back from me at stop lights. Plus it works great when at a stop light with no one behind you, but when I see a car coming up from a distance I will release the brake and hit it a couple times to make them flash again. Definitely gets their attention
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #24
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
This is very true, but keep in mind that the LED color may not match the lens color exactly. In that case, most of the LED's light may still be getting filtered out. I put amber LED bulbs in my stock turn signals. The LEDs were more of a yellowish, while the stock lenses are more orange. This resulted in not much light getting through the lens. Simply swapping on clear lenses made them appear much brighter (and slightly yellower).

Similar to the third brake light providing extra contrast, going from a clear lens to a colored light also helps add contrast. Plus stray light hitting the lens won't make it look like you're hitting your brake. I hate it when I'm following a vehicle through a wooded area and stray lightbeams make it look like their brakelights keep coming on. False alarms make you less ready when they really do hit the brakes.

In addition to allowing faster flashing, the fact that LEDs light up more quickly can also make you safer. At 60mph, you'll travel 17' in the extra time it takes an incandescent bulb to come on compared to an LED. If you could automatically give the guy behind you an extra 17' to stop, wouldn't you want to?

The big problem is that it's easy to make crappy LED bulbs. A good LED light can be a nice upgrade in several ways, but a bad LED light can definitely be a downgrade.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #25
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Man....price went up

Old May 27th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #26
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake...-flasher-c-65/

These ones also have a set number of flashes, then go steady. This catches the eye of people behind you when applying the brake, without being annoying while stopped at a light for a while.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #27
reggae5
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Man....price went up
And unlike the original package the recent package doesn't include the bulb anymore
reggae5 is offline   Reply With Quote