ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 7th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #1
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Exclamation Florida riders help!

So I just found out my auto (PIP) here in Florida wont cover me if I get injured on my bike. I just went through about 10 different motorcycle insurance companies quote shopping and they nobody offers (PIP) for motorcycles.

With that said, who would pay for my medical attention if I were to get into an accident? I do have $10,000 medical which is the max any of the insurance companies offer.

What are you guys doing for coverage? I dont feel safe riding with only $10,000 in medical.

Hopefully I missed something and somebody here can school me on motorcycle insurance, which is new to me and totally unique here in Florida.
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Do you have any general health insurance?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #3
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Do you have any general health insurance?
Nope, thats the problem, im in the same boat as millions of other americans. Any health insurance i can afford, has horrible options/coverages/deductibles, so i dont even bother

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 8th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Just ride faster an dont wear a helmet... Problem solved

Old October 8th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #5
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Same issue I had when I was self employed. I had no health coverage post obamacare because it was just too expensive for me to afford! Prior to obamacare, I was paying $275/month for PPO coverage. After obamacare, that same coverage was over $700/month.

My moto insurance had $25k coverage as max coverage for medical. I opted for that. That was also the reason I chose specific insurance companies to underwrite my policy. Geico only had $10k as max. Luckily progressive and allstate had a $25k option in NJ. But we all know a ride in the ambulance would easily eat away a few thousand dollars already.

I, too was uncomfortable riding with almost no medical coverage. So I made a choice. ATGATT and ride in a manner that is as defensive as possible and hope I never put myself out there in sketchy situations. That's the best I could do on my end. I also had to trust other road users to do the same on their end.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 8th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
Nope, thats the problem, im in the same boat as millions of other americans. Any health insurance i can afford, has horrible options/coverages/deductibles, so i dont even bother
Yeah, we're facing some serious problems here too. The cost wasn't bad at first, but since the big "affordable health care" act was passed, each year it has gone up. Now most of the providers in NC have gone away or become extremely expensive, and we're not sure what the future will bring. I sure don't have a solution to offer.

A friend got cancer without insurance a few years ago, and found that not only did all the doctors who treated him offer a 50% discount for uninsured people, but the state was willing to cover the huge bills he still piled up. In short, not having insurance didn't keep him from treatment, and actually saved him money. It makes you wonder...
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #7
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Same issue I had when I was self employed. I had no health coverage post obamacare because it was just too expensive for me to afford! Prior to obamacare, I was paying $275/month for PPO coverage. After obamacare, that same coverage was over $700/month.

My moto insurance had $25k coverage as max coverage for medical. I opted for that. That was also the reason I chose specific insurance companies to underwrite my policy. Geico only had $10k as max. Luckily progressive and allstate had a $25k option in NJ. But we all know a ride in the ambulance would easily eat away a few thousand dollars already.

I, too was uncomfortable riding with almost no medical coverage. So I made a choice. ATGATT and ride in a manner that is as defensive as possible and hope I never put myself out there in sketchy situations. That's the best I could do on my end. I also had to trust other road users to do the same on their end.
I havent had any medical insurance in like 15years, was self employed for a long time, then the jobs i have had didnt offer anything, or anything worthwhile. luckily, m healthy[knock on wood], i dont even get colds, flu, nothing.

I wonder why all the insurance companies down here only offer up to 10k medical, maybe it has to do with being able to ride year round?

same here, ATGATT and whole lot of defensive driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Yeah, we're facing some serious problems here too. The cost wasn't bad at first, but since the big "affordable health care" act was passed, each year it has gone up. Now most of the providers in NC have gone away or become extremely expensive, and we're not sure what the future will bring. I sure don't have a solution to offer.

A friend got cancer without insurance a few years ago, and found that not only did all the doctors who treated him offer a 50% discount for uninsured people, but the state was willing to cover the huge bills he still piled up. In short, not having insurance didn't keep him from treatment, and actually saved him money. It makes you wonder...
i do know most doctors offer some kind of discounted rates for non-insured people, but your friend is very lucky to get help, cancer is serious.

the healthcare system is all messed up. idk who worse, the doctors overcharging fees, or the insurance companies paying them their astronomical fees

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
......... Hopefully I missed something and somebody here can school me on motorcycle insurance, which is new to me and totally unique here in Florida.
These may help:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111326

http://www.soflasportbikes.com/forum...ense-sofl.html

Insurance is your very last line of defense.
If you reach that point, it may be too late for insurer's money to do any good.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217355

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...56&postcount=6

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #9
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

^thanks, ill check those links out.

i agree with you on insurance in the last line of defense, thats why i stay geared up from head to toe.

Old October 8th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #10
Jahjahwarrior
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 96 ninja 250

I pay extra for uninsured motorist coverage and then I have a short term disability and life insurance policy, costs about $50 a month, all said and done I think it would help me meet my deductable...

I hope I never have to find out!

But I can't imagine not having a job that subsidizes the insurance. I think I pay $45 a paycheck for health insurance, HMO with a relatively high deductable, relatively good insurance but not as good as it was pre Obamacare
Jahjahwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2016, 07:30 AM   #11
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

It must just be a Florida thing, because I'm almost positive I have PIP on my motorcycle insurance through Progressive. I'll have to go look up my plan details to be positive, though.

Old October 10th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #12
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
It must just be a Florida thing, because I'm almost positive I have PIP on my motorcycle insurance through Progressive. I'll have to go look up my plan details to be positive, though.
it is a florida thing, and were not even required to have motorcycle insurance lol