ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Hit'N Run. Riding season is over for me.

I took my bike out about 8 after I finished stacking fire wood.

Battery was dead. Push started it.

Rode over twords my friends house to coax him into ridding out for dinner.

Pulled a U turn to park on the edge of the road to tell my neighbor that his tail lights were out as he pulled in his drive way.

I got off my bike and left it idling so I would not have to push start it again and so he could hear me talking to him.

I walked over to talk to him and then I hear an approaching car and a loud smashing noise.

I turn around to see a 2003 Suburban had gone off the rd and hit my bike and ran over two mail boxes.

They kept going and did not touch the breaks for an instant.

I quickly picked up my bike and tried to start it to give chase and it wouldn't start. I asked my neighbor to follow him and try to see where he goes.

He asked me if I was fine and if I needed to go. I told him I needed to get the bike out of the road.

He went and followed.

When the Police arrived the one officer immediately became offensive to me and said it was my fault because of where I was parked. I got angry and said you have got to be kidding me. That guy committed a crime of hit and run and if I was on that bike he would be facing involuntary manslaughter.

The police officer said " I am not dealing with your attitude right now"

I told him ok I am going to lower my voice and cool down a moment. I walked away and waited for the other police officer to come over and talk to me. I stayed very cool and discussed it with them. Gave them my license and insurance and told them I am done arguing and that I apologized for being confrontational at first but I am a little upset. I told them I am just happy no one was hurt.

The other officer was reasonable but said I was parked in the road and not on the shoulder.

I said I am all disoriented now and I cannot prove or disprove any how.

They took photos and wrote the other driver a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

When they asked him why he did not stop he told them "I did not want points on my license" then when my friend asked him how he could just take off like that without even stopping to see if we were ok he said " I just wanted to get home."

Then he started yelling about how this is bull **** and he should not be getting a ticket.

I asked the polite officer if he could give me a ride home so I can come back with my truck to get my motorcycle. He kindly gave me a ride.

I did not want my friend driving with bad tail lights and risking a second accident tonight.

The damage is minimal considering but will need to be assessed. The steering is messed up, Break resivior, fairings, windshield, fender, kickstand, turn signal frame spools are all messed up. It was not leaking any fluids.

This is the first time this motorcycle has ever been laid down.

Tragic for the bike, but a blessing in that it did not happen while I was dismounting. I would have been badly injured.

I am very disappointed.

regardless of what the insurance companies rule I do have full coverage and and additional 3000 of ad don parts coverage.

I hope that I am at least reimbursed enough to return this bike to good condition as it is the first vehicle I have ever grown attached too.

I am emotionally exhausted. I wanted to go for a ride to clear my head after stacking fire wood because it is something that my dad and I always did together before he died and it had made me feel very heavy hearted working without him. I am certainly not feeling relieved or better at this point.

Certainly getting some thinking in

Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
All very sad, Josh !!!

Hope you can repair the bike quickly.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
glad you're ok

from a legal standpoint you have a pretty damn strong case if you take it to court, there should be no way that this guy's insurance finds him not at fault.

Even if it goes in the police report that you were parked on the road rather than shoulder the driver still hit two mailboxes which proves he did not have control.

also this dude sounds like a douchenozzle

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #4
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

I calmed down and decided I will not be upset about it because it will not change the out come of events.

Then I am sitting here thinking

The police did not breathalyze this guy.
They only wrote him a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

He basically will get off with a slap on the wrist and he very well could have killed me and fled. if I had been killed then no one would have followed him and he would have gotten away.

He is a very bad human being and I am upset that he was not held accountable.

He also made no effort to apologize and said it was all my fault. He also yelled that this is all b-llsh-t.

If our roles had been reversed the police would have arrested me.

I hate how police treat people differently because of race, age, gender.

But I understand that they are just trying to exercise good judgment and putting an 80 year old in jail would not accomplish a whole lot.

They also cannot throw the book at him because he might've done more damage.

I will attempt to forgive and forget. But it is a bit difficult after spending the last couple hours getting a trailer and truck to go collect my smashed bike that I love.

Whatever. I wish I had taken photos before I moved the bike and of the whole area so I would have more evidence.

I just did not want an additional accident to happen.

Just try to make the best choices at the time.

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Vladius
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 SE ABS

AHHHHH!!! Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I'm glad you're ok; people like that make me so angry. There's always someone who will never feel they should be held accountable for their actions. Isn't it a federal offense destroying mailboxes?
Vladius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladius View Post
Isn't it a federal offense destroying mailboxes?
Not when it's labeled and accident.

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #8
Vladius
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 SE ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Pff.. give 'em 100 lashins! Lol. That dude having a license was an accident...
Vladius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #9
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Good luck buddy!!! Really sucks what happened, what a douche of a diver...

Old September 26th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #10
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I walked over to talk to him and then I hear an approaching car and a loud smashing noise.

I turn around to see a 2003 Suburban had gone off the rd and hit my bike and ran over two mail boxes.

They kept going and did not touch the breaks for an instant.
This reeks of "impaired" driving, whether it's alcohol or drugs or whatever.

He's obviously not going to stop doing what he's doing so this won't be the last time he hits stuff and/or injures or kills people. You can call it Karma if you want to but this won't be his last run-in with the law, you can bet on that.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #11
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
sucks, I hope the silver lining shows soon...

Old September 26th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #12
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Accident turned criminal intent when he ran off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladius View Post
Pff.. give 'em 100 lashins! Lol. That dude having a license was an accident...
He is old and just got back from Florida. His son was running around yelling about how it wasn't his fault and that my head light was too bright. These people are seriously not about responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Good luck buddy!!! Really sucks what happened, what a douche of a diver...
They are huge jerks. I lost my cool briefly when the first officer told me it was completely my fault because of where I had parked. And I yelled at them that he could be facing involuntary manslaughter charges if I had been sitting on that bike, and that they committed a crime!

Then the officer told me he is not dealing with my ****. So I took a few minutes to calm down and I apologized to all of them and said I wont raise my voice again and I did not mean to get so heated that I had been upset by his total disregard for the law, property and what may have been human life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
This reeks of "impaired" driving, whether it's alcohol or drugs or whatever.
He's obviously not going to stop doing what he's doing so this won't be the last time he hits stuff and/or injures or kills people. You can call it Karma if you want to but this won't be his last run-in with the law, you can bet on that.
The old man crashed his sons SUV . I would be satisfied if he had apologized and said he would not drive after dark anymore. I was very patient and polite once I calmed down and got my bearings and I have expected them to say they were at least sorry it happened. But with the son and the first officer blaming me as the young punk on the crotch rocket I realized that they would never ever rise from their foggy self righteous fog of delusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
sucks, I hope the silver lining shows soon...
The silver lining is that I was not on the bike, I am 100 percent uninjured other than straining my back when I hulked it up thinking I was going to give chase lol. Stupid me in the moment. I snatched it up and tried to start it so fast.

The most bother some part of the whole deal for me is knowing that if the roles had been reversed.

IF I had gone off the road and hit a motorcycle and a mail box with my truck and the motorcycle belonged to an old man... Then I had driven off.

and then they found me there would be a 100% certainty that I would have been handcuffed, I would have been charged with multiple crimes and violations, I would have been Breathalyzed and drug tested.

When the police came I immediately gave them my license , registration and insurance all at once in a plastic slip pack. I told them here is all my information.

They were very confrontational with me. To the point I pulled out my cell phone camera and started recording and then their tune changed to a less aggressive demeanor. I wish I had the whole event on camera. Dash cameras are totally indispensable for motorcyclists! The LAW always assumes the motorcyclist is at fault.

Then they asked me if I had a valid license. I answered of course it is valid. Then he said "do you even have a M endorsement?" in a way that implied I didn't/ - I was dumb founded. He was holding my license in his hand with a light. I pointed right at it and said "its right there"

I told him everything is up to date and in good standing. Then he asked me if my insurance policy is valid.

it was quiet an experience.

But I am used to getting treated very poorly by police officers. I have found ways of deferring my emotions and I do not allow that kind of negativity to fester in my mind and poison me.

That is also why I asked the one officer to give me a ride home. I was curious how he would respond. He restored my faith in his integrity as a public servant actually trying to help me.

He was a little awkward but we made small talk. After he implied I was headed to a bar and I told him I was trying to rouse my friends to ride to a small town where we can enjoy a local delicacy known as the "garbage plate" served at my favorite burger/hot dog joint.

That diffused the last of his judgmental accusatory nature and we just talked about what its like working nights and how hard it is to have a work/personal life balance these days.

-------------------I just realized I am tired and typing the never ending story.

Old September 26th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Damage assessment. 2004 GSXR 750 17000 miles

Smashed Windscreen double bubble smoked
Smashed Cowel stay bracket
Smashed Cowel Fairing
Smashed Turn signal flush mount carbon print euro light
Smashed Front Fender
Smashed inner cowel cover
Smashed LH
Smashed Intake Air Ram air tube thing

Rashed Tail Fairing / cracked
Rashed Mirror
Rashed Master cyl front breaks
Rashed adjustable anodized break lever
Rashed Termigoni Exhuast
Rashed RH rider peg
Rashed RH pass peg
Rashed Frame sliders
Rashed Throttle cables

Badly Bent Triple tree with stop snapped off
Forks/shocks bent/twisted 15 deg to one side
Key badly bent
Bent brake fluid reservoir mount
Bent Adjustable Kick stand

Radiator Dented

Many of these parts are just cosmetically effected
The bike was in pristine condition for an 04 before this. Literally never dropped on either side ever before this

Overall the damage was very mild considering he hit it at full speed 55 mph and launched it.

Also it is not shifting. But I have not tried messing with it

His insurance is Geico and my insurance company told me that Geico will try to cheap out and assess my bike at a much lower value than Progressive would. My company - Progressive - assess all of my after market equipment as "at cost" pricing so that it would pay replacement value

Geico will only assess how these aftermarket add ons will effect the NADA value.

Progressive told me that I will be compensated more appropriately if I file a claim against my collision.

I do not want a claim against my collision especially on a performance bike.

But if Geico tries to cheat me I may be left with no other options.

Old September 26th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Accident turned criminal intent when he ran off.
Understood, but let's face it... they are not gunna charge him with a federal offence in this case.

Lemme know if I can help you get any parts. I have a lot of gsxr riding friends that take off the street stuff for track.

I remember how shiny and clean that bike was last time I seen it. I hope you get it back just the same way. Most importantly, you were not part of the damage.

Old September 26th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #15
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Understood, but let's face it... they are not gunna charge him with a federal offense in this case.
Lemme know if I can help you get any parts. I have a lot of gsxr riding friends that take off the street stuff for track.
I remember how shiny and clean that bike was last time I seen it. I hope you get it back just the same way. Most importantly, you were not part of the damage.
I did not want him charged with a felony. It very well could have been a felony. But you cannot charge a person with a crime that may have happened but did not actually happen.

I think they should have Drug tested/Breathalyzer ed him.
I should have pointed out the seriousness of the act of leaving rather than telling him sometimes people do that and its only a citation because no one was injured.
I think they should have separated us and asked him not to yell at me before I yelled back and was promptly scolded.
I think they should have also ticketed him for his dangerous driving on top of leaving the scene.

The police handled it poorly and if my neighbor had not followed him home they would have ended up not finding him and telling me it is my own fault.

I am not focusing on how morally bankrupt that old timer is.
Or how ethically biased/prejudiced the police are.

Jerks will always be jerks
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I am fortunate my neighbors are good people.
I am very very fortunate I was not on the bike.

And I am also fortunate to have a great network of people on this forum to vent too.

And I appreciate the offer of help finding parts.
I will have to see how my appointment goes with Geico.
Then I will have to start making choices on how to proceed.
The tail fairing seems bent but I could not identify any frame damage.

I will start a rebuild thread when I know what I am going to do I am glad the rash on my exhaust is minimal. Termigoni really sets my bike apart form the herd of GSXRS rolling around.

Some of my damaged parts may be usable or salvageable.

Old September 26th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........I am not focusing on how morally bankrupt that old timer is.
Or how ethically biased/prejudiced the police are.

Jerks will always be jerks
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I am fortunate my neighbors are good people.
I am very very fortunate I was not on the bike.

And I am also fortunate to have a great network of people on this forum to vent too. ............
"It would be easy to become a victim of our circumstances and continue feeling sad, scared or angry; or instead, we could choose to deal with injustice humanely and break the chains of negative thoughts and energies, and not let ourselves sink into it." ― Erin Gruwell

"We must risk delight. We can do without pleasure, but not delight. Not enjoyment. We must have the stubbornness to accept our gladness in the ruthless furnace of this world. To make injustice the only measure of our attention is to praise the Devil." ― Jack Gilbert

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 27th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #17
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Why can't you file a claim with your insurance and let them worry about taking Geico to the cleaners? It's not your fault so it wouldn't count against your insurance would it?
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #18
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

You can also not accept Geico's initial offer. The insurance company wants you to think that you only get what ever they feel like offering you.

Geico is obviously going to try and offer you as little as possible. It's financially in their best interest to make you go away for the least amount possible.

Don't cash anything or take any payments until you are satisfied with the outcome.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

#@%@^#$%^$^%*$^%$#

I just missed you a whole parts bike for $500, fairings were toast but the rest was solid. Freshly crashed yesterday, rider doesn't wanna ride ever again.

Old September 30th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #20
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Why can't you file a claim with your insurance and let them worry about taking Geico to the cleaners? It's not your fault so it wouldn't count against your insurance would it?
I could, but my insurance company instructed me to go through Geico and then see what they say. If I have any trouble call them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
You can also not accept Geico's initial offer. The insurance company wants you to think that you only get what ever they feel like offering you.

Don't cash anything or take any payments until you are satisfied with the outcome.
The Geico insurance appraiser guy was very friendly and told me if I have any problems with what they come up with that I should certainly call my company and let them do an independent assessment. If it turns out to be drastically different then my company will cover it and make Geico cover the difference.

Quote:
#@%@^#$%^$^%*$^%$#
I just missed you a whole parts bike for $500, fairings were toast but the rest was solid. Freshly crashed yesterday, rider doesn't wanna ride ever again.
I like crashed bike! they are my favorite kind of bike! I really like taking the ugly rejects and having fun with them.... If you see any other crazy good deals I am always ears

Geico said it is certainly totaled.
They will look at other motorcycles in the region that are for sale equivalent Year, Make Mil-age. They will average what they find and cut me a check for that. They had me make a comprehensive list of after market Add ons and their respective MSRP. They will total the value of these add ons and depreciate them by a certain amount.

If they come in at a reasonable price point I will not challenge their compensation. If they offer me some pity little bit that I cannot buy another bike with... then we will have to try other options.

I will also call my insurance company and ask their advice before I decide.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to keep the bike and salvage it. I am not sure if I will got back to OEM, or do something a bit different.

Old October 4th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #21
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Josh.

I think your momentary anger was completely understandable and justified. It's good you got yourself undercontrol though as no good can come of being angry around the police.

I hope you don't go easy on the perpetrator just because he's 80. It doesn't matter what a person's age, sex or race is: if they're an a**hole, then they're an a**hole! Like you said: he could have killed you, he actually did destroy a whole bunch of your valuable hard-earned property and he fled the scene. You're dealing with scum. Personally I'd aim to get full restitution and any suffering caused to the old man I'd see as a bonus.

I want to live in a world where good people are as wholeheartedly, inconvenient as possible to the bad people. That there is a beautiful world!

If that a**hole looses his license, that may save someone elses life.

If that a**hole looses his most valued property to pay for the property of yours that he destroyed and your time that he wasted, that's restitution for you and a hard lesson the guy needs to learn.

Old October 4th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #22
04Ninja25
ninjette.org member

Name: Gumbow

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

damn. sorry to hear dude.
04Ninja25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #23
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Josh. that's restitution for you and a hard lesson the guy needs to learn.
The insurance is covering the damages. They have been very fair.

A different police officer told me that they could not brethalyz the man because he made it all the way home and into his house before the neighbor got him.

So they could not prove weather or not he had drank before or after the accident.

Also I believe that the driver told the police that I was ridding the bike when he hit it and they may have thought that I was trying to pull a fast one over on them.

Quote:
#@%@^#$%^$^%*$^%$#
I just missed you a whole parts bike .
@csmith12 - The insurance company has offered to sell me the bike back $1055.

I think I can get it rid able with just a front fork and it will wont be salvage title because they did not take possession of it.

Old October 7th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #24
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

I will be getting a check from the insurance company this week they said.

I am looking at bikes on CL and stealerships

So far I am up in the air with several used bikes
All in super clean shape and coming in at prices between
$6200 - $7800 private party sales so there may be some room for negotiating
I obviously will be throwing in a sizable chunk to make those numbers happen.

Adventure/touring
2015 fj-09 with luggage 500 miles
2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC 15kmiles

Sport
2010-2011 Daytona 675 3500miles
2014 speed triple 3500miles
2010 DUCATI 848 DARK 12600 miles

I also looked at a 2013 z1000, 636, fz09, fz8
@csmith12 - I got offered a busa with 600 miles and a built yamaha warrior 1300 that is practically new but I feel like those are excessive for my purposes. Even though I would like to indulge in excess I am swaying twords the more practical FJ and Tiger XC
The Daytona is super seductive also.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/5163210720.html
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcd/5253194832.html
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/5235174982.html

Do you think I am going super greedy, I am lost . My gsxr was the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and it fell into my lap.
@adouglas - do you have input on the ducati? It is a stunning all blacked out bike but it has been re listed a couple times and I am a bit suspicious?
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/5205890620.html

Old October 7th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #25
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:

@csmith12
I think I can get it rid able with just a front fork and it will wont be salvage title because they did not take possession of it.
Correction! - Any bike older than 8 years will not need to be titled as salvage when totaled.

That is good info when shopping for older bikes. even if it has been totaled it will not be on the title. I think that a bike that is totaled and non repairable aka frame damage would probably still be changed but I did not think to ask the agent. maybe I will ask when I talk to him.

Old October 7th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
@adouglas - do you have input on the ducati? It is a stunning all blacked out bike but it has been re listed a couple times and I am a bit suspicious?
http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/5205890620.html
You're asking the wrong guy. @Bigballsofpaint has an 848 and @Ducati999 is totally obsessed with all things Ducati... plus he's a good mechanic who's not afraid to rip things apart and rebuild them from the ground up. He's overseas right now but might see this.

My personal impression of Ducs is:

- They inspire passion
- Parts and service are very costly

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #27
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Sorry to hear about your bike being totaled. Some people should not be able to own a car.

Get a Triumph! That Daytona you posted is my favorite Daytona. Love that SE scheme.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #28
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Unless you're looking for a track bike, I'd suggest you pick up the FJ, looks like a really good deal and the bike has some pretty rad reviews. Good luck!

Old October 8th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #29
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle if all I had was the Ducati (but that's my personal opinion, my back hurts after about 45 min on it) Ive never rode a gsxr, so Im not sure if the riding position is the same, I think it may be though given they are both SS so you might be fine with it. Its not geared for low speed though, any lower than 13 mph and im working the clutch a good amount. And that's with a 14t sprocket in front.

For a track bike, its great. Its really not bad to work on, and since you seem to do your own work I wouldn't let the maintenance scare you too much. That's a pretty good price too. Just always ask when the last time the belts were changed, and with those miles it should have had a valve adjument or at least a check as well. Belt is ever 2 years OR 7500 miles (whichever comes first), and valves every 7500 miles to my knowledge.

Old October 8th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #30
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You're asking the wrong guy.
My personal impression of Ducs is:
- They inspire passion
- Parts and service are very costly
Thanks. I am not on the forum enough so I forget who is up on what bikes. performance and style is costly for sure !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Sorry to hear about your bike being totaled. Some people should not be able to own a car.
That Daytona you posted is my favorite Daytona. Love that SE scheme.
Yeah so it was not fun. But Life is chaos. I hope that old guy stops driving at night. Daytonas are really great looking bikes and the 3 cyl sound and feel is very unique and fun. Prices are not terrible either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Unless you're looking for a track bike, I'd suggest you pick up the FJ, looks like a really good deal and the bike has some pretty rad reviews. Good luck!
I went to look at the FJ at a dealer today and they had a Tiger 800 on the floor I sat on and checked out. They offered the Tiger for 8k$ after discounts running through the end of OCT. Thats a great deal for a Triumph. But that FJ with the bags is a very cool package and a true travel bike, With some changes it could be a decent ADV also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
I wouldn't ride a motorcycle if all I had was the Ducati

For a track bike, its great. Its really not bad to work on,
Thanks for the advice. I knew they needed those belts and valves adjusted at intervals but that is often. I did take the time to look up the maintenance schedules .... that is something I should look into.

The Insurance company is not cutting me a straight check for the bike. They said they give me their cut and then I have to wait for a salvage wrecker to come get the bike for them to give me the balance.

I am considering keeping it and fixing it. I may pull the fairings off this weekend and check it out. charge the bat and start it up.

I might pull the Termigoni exhaust off of it if they come to get it and throw the stock one back on.

Old October 9th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #31
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Josh,
Really sorry to hear about the loss of your 750. I was sitting at the Hotel and saw this thread. Cant believe the cop gave you that much static for nearly being killed--You could have been on the bike--and he was willing to let a hit n run possible killer go! I was not able to review the Craigslist ad but I know you work on your own bikes and I had never worked on a Duc until I bought my 9. They are way easier than most people think and the 7500 mile checks are just valve checks. I set my valves right in the middle (you can run tighter for "MAX HP" and racing) so they have the max amount to move before needing adjustment. After you "break in" the motor and set the valves the rarely move much unless you are bouncing off the rev limiter all the time. I take both my bikes up to red occasionally but the last time I checked there were none out of speck. Should you join the Duc flock I can show you a quick and easy way to set belt tension which makes it super easy to pull them and check the valves. I would not recommend the older 916 style bikes as the valve adjust is harder but from 2003 on they are easier (way easier) than the Ninja 250 to check and adjust and the fairings on the 999 all come off in under 2 mins! Love the DUZ clips! Best of luck finding a new bike to replace your fallen soldier. I think you should keep the Terimongi exhaust if you can even if you just mount it on the garage wall!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #32
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Josh,
Really sorry to hear about the loss of your 750. Should you join the Duc flock I can show you a quick and easy way to set belt tension which makes it super easy to pull them and check the valves. Best of luck finding a new bike to replace your fallen soldier. I think you should keep the Terimongi exhaust if you can even if you just mount it on the garage wall!
Thanks a lot, I am probably going to try to salvage the GSXR and keep it, the damage really was minimal. lots of minimal lol. Btu the front forks are mashed up

I love the Ducs., My friend has a 748 that he has not ridden in 5 years. I have been trying to pry it from his grasp but alas I think its sorta married to him.... one of those sexless marriages lol

The new 848 I am looking at is cheap. 2010 with 13000 miles all black. $6200

I want to save that Termigoni exhaust because it is very rare to see a Termignoni exhaust on a Suzuki in my experience. I have had many people try to tell me that my exhaust is a fake, like a two brothers with a Termi sticker lol! buncha clowns on the east coast