ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Area P Billet End Cap

We've been receiving a lot of requests to bring back our original two piece flat conical billet end cap option. So we've incorporated the "two piece" style, into a cnc'd one piece design that is four ounces lighter than the original. They are available now as an option (no extra cost) to our traditional turn down tip on all 250R full systems.

Pictures are shown with our large 2.50" core (for larger displacement sportbikes). The 250 core is smaller and has an internal adaptor that transitions it from the core to the large outlet.

kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2
kkim

Aloha, Kerry. That's pretty nice!

Will these fit on the quiet core mufflers? How much are they sepeartely?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Looks so much better. I would have been requesting that style tip as well had I not hooked up with sportisi.

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Hey Kerry, if I already have the muffler, can it be converted to this? I am assuming that will be heavier than the traditional tip and also, obviously, the DEI will not work? Are there any differences on sound and performance with this style? Thanks.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #5
kbryant
Area P

Howzit Kelly! - Yep, the new end cap fits all style cores/mufflers. Requires it to be sent in to us for the mods/installation. Retro-fit to an existing muffler is $85.00, but includes a repack service. We disassemble the muffler, modify the core assembly, fresh repack, replace hardware, rebond and assemble.

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6
kkim

Aloha, Kerry!

Does this mean once the muffler is modified, you can't go back to the other (turndown) tip?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #7
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00br1d3r View Post
Hey Kerry, if I already have the muffler, can it be converted to this? I am assuming that will be heavier than the traditional tip and also, obviously, the DEI will not work? Are there any differences on sound and performance with this style? Thanks.
Yep. The new end cap is actually only 5 grams heavier than the standard turn down tip cap (if we left out the screws, it would actually be 5 grams less ). We've cavity machined out a lot of material to get it as light as possible. No, the DEI will not work with the new end cap. Performance is the same. The sound level is the same dbA reading, but it can be perceived to your ear as slightly increased. This is because the standard tip is "turned down" on the exit and deflects the sound more away from you.

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #8
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
Yep. The new end cap is actually only 5 grams heavier than the standard turn down tip cap (if we left out the screws, it would actually be 5 grams less ). We've cavity machined out a lot of material to get it as light as possible. No, the DEI will not work with the new end cap. Performance is the same. The sound level is the same dbA reading, but it can be perceived to your ear as slightly increased. This is because the standard tip is "turned down" on the exit and deflects the sound more away from you.
Sweet. Thanks for the quick reply. I may do this when I get bored with mine. I've grown fond of the traditional tip. The turn-down tip to me, gives that raw and no-nonsense race look to it. This one however, definitely looks cleaner and will work well with those looking to cleanup the look of their bikes.

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #9
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Aloha, Kerry!

Does this mean once the muffler is modified, you can't go back to the other (turndown) tip?
No, you could go back again. But it would need to be reverse-modded on the core assembly

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
No, you could go back again. But it would need to be reverse-modded on the core assembly
I'm guessing that can be done again during a re-pack. How many miles should we expect to get before doing a repack? And how much is the repack service?

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #11
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00br1d3r View Post
I'm guessing that can be done again during a re-pack. How many miles should we expect to get before doing a repack? And how much is the repack service?
On the 250R, we rarely see any mufflers that require a significant repack service. We've had customers send their mufflers in for repack inspection with well over 30,000 miles on them and we've added very little material (not enough to make any difference one way or the other). Essentially the Silent Sport Premium does not "burn out" so to speak with the way we pack it, and that is the beauty of utilizing the best packing material (made in Germany) available. But it can become compacted and lose some ability to fully attenuate sound efficently.

On the ones we've disassembled and only added a minor amount of material, we have a minimum charge of $25.00. Full replacement repack service depends on the muffler length and core diameter, but normally run a maximum of $50.00. We highly recommend customers send their mufflers in to us for any kind of service. We press fit and bond the end caps in place to fairly tight tolerances. We design them to stay together!