ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

Time to replace stock chain?

So my chain slack currently ranges from 0.5" in one place to 2.0" in others, time to replace?

I heard the chain slapping the swingarm for the first time today just as I got back home from class. New chain and sprockets are in the mail, should be here any day now. I'm just wondering if it's safe to ride tomorrow at least...

Should I tighten the chain a little so it's not so bad in certain places? Then again, part of the chain is already too tight running at 0.5" slack... and I'm going to have to ride it to the dealership at least for service and chain/sprockets install.

(This is in the wrong section btw, but I suppose it applies to both old and new-gen.)
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Do you have access to a hand grinder? You could replace the chain, on your own, and take it to the shop for sprockets, if need be.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkable View Post
So my chain slack currently ranges from 0.5" in one place to 2.0" in others, time to replace?
YES

Btw, how many miles on the chain?
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

23k on the chain, and yeah I would do the chain and sprockets myself but don't really have the tools I would need, like anything to break the chain and maybe a breaker bar for front sprocket.

Last futzed with by Lurkable; September 9th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #5
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Front sprocket floats on the output shaft, held in place by a small keeper that fits into a groove on the shaft and that bolts to the sprocket with two small screws. Hardest part about replacing the front sprocket is cleaning all the splooge out of the sprocket cover.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #6
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Look on the owner's manual or search for the position where you check for the proper chain slack. It varies on different parts of the chain, is tighter on the top where you measure than on the bottom which has more slack. What you are describing may be normal but you might want to change it anyway with 23,000 miles on it. And it's a good idea to change the sprockets at the same time.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Did the chain stretched ? Or you are just going by the slack? Mine at 16 000 KM had no stretch at all.

Old September 10th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I heard my chain on the swingarm guide at 1,500 miles. Replaced at 12,500 miles.

AFAIK, chain slack has nothing to do with the replacement interval. You're supposed to check and adjust that regularly.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

I'm taking my bike in this coming Tuesday for service and to have chain/sprockets replaced. I'd rather just ride it to the place (which is 15 miles away) and avoid the hassle of getting it towed if possible. But I'm starting to worry that this is just not safe at all...opinions?

I just loosened the chain a little so it's not so incredibly tight in some places and rode it around the block. But it's still tight enough that I hear a popping noise when those parts of the chain rotate off the sprockets. And it's loose enough in other places that it slaps the swing arm as well.

Would I be better off loosening it to the point where I don't hear the popping anymore or just leave it how it is considering parts of the chain already are hitting the swing arm? Or am I just a suicidal jerk for even considering riding it on the freeway at this point?

Old September 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #10
kkim

obviously, you have some tight spots in the chain. normally, that is most times caused by the links binding due to rust or lack of lubrication. try spraying the entire chain length w/ wd40 and see if it loosens up the tight spots so the range of tight to loose is not as great so you can ride it to the shop safely.

I dunno... pops and slaps from the drive train is never a good thing to have on any vehicle.

why is your chain trying to derail when tight? is your chain properly aligned?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #11
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

got 24000kms on my oem chain, 14000kms on my second. The second chain was an after market brand-x don't remember the name. Most after-market chains are rated for life expectancy,(miles before replacement) the cheaper the chain the shorter the life. My second chain lasted about as long as claim was for. The higher mileage chains are usually of a rivet on design and I don't have a Riveter, so I opted for the cheaper clip style masterlink brand so I could do it myself.
On a side note did you opt for the 15t front sprocket ungrade, since your changing it? It's worth it.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Thanks all, I actually rode it to the dealer and lived to tell the story. It may have been out of alignment in addition to just being horribly tight in some places.

On a side note...don't use brake cleaner on your chain.

Also, I did in fact switch to a 15-tooth front sprocket and just rode it back home a few hours ago... love, love, love, love, LOVE it!

Old September 24th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #13
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Yep... this sounds a little TOO familiar. I had the exact same thing happen, tight spots all over the chain. Replaced the chain a few thousand K back, put on a new DID gold colored one... It got so bad that I literally had the chain fly off while going down the highway one morning... Yeah yeah I know. Stupid.

Couldn't be happier with the new chain, oh god it's nice to get a new one on after dealing with something like that eh?
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #14
trex
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 250r '08 Candy Plasma (best) Blue

hey bringing this back from the dead. trying to get the bike back into shape as it has been sitting neglected for a year... see below

sorry some are blurry...camera had trouble focusing

so...yea...no i have not checked to see if i am within the 1" tightness spec...i tried to pull the chain from the sprocket to see if there was any slack and was unable to....o rings dont show any signs of leaking and as far as i can tell no cracking either....so it looks like it is mainly the rust...the white residue is old lube....so what do yall think? time to replace?

edit: just realized this is in the pre 08' section...sry...this is a new gen bike though
trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

From the opinion of someone that also probably needs to replace his chain, that looks more like the surface rust I picked up from winter '09-'10 having to store it outside (lubed it up too). Chain worked just fine all last year for me once I limbered it up. IIRC you shouldn't be able to just pull the chain off the back side of the rear sprocket, so that seems normal (otherwise it'd constantly be in danger of coming off while riding).

I'd do the usual tension check, see if there's any super-tight (or super-loose) spots and make sure all the links articulate properly. If the tension can be adjusted to in-spec and all the links move like they should, I'd stop worrying, lube that baby and get riding.

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #16
trex
ninjette.org member

^well do...ill give it the non spray WD 40 bath and check tension and report back.

Old March 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #17
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

23k miles on a chain it quite enough.
Inspect for stiff links, worn seals and slack between rollers.
Better to replace chain before it breaks during a ride.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
23k miles on a chain it quite enough.
Inspect for stiff links, worn seals and slack between rollers.
Better to replace chain before it breaks during a ride.
I must have missed it... where does he say he has 23k on that chain?

edit... never mind. I see you were replying to the original post.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #19
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex View Post
^well do...ill give it the non spray WD 40 bath and check tension and report back.
WD40 is probably what caused the rust spots. Not a Lube in chain terms.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #20
trex
ninjette.org member

^right...not using it as a lube...using it as a cleaner....followed by a lube with proper chain lube