ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Word of advice to Ninjette owners: Change your tires

In my opinion, the very first thing you should do after buying your bike is to get rid of the factory Dunlops. The factory tires are attrocious. In my case, I got a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons and I can't emphasize how much of a difference they make.

I bought my bike 6 weeks ago, my first bike, and the only motorcycle I've ever ridden on except for the few that I jumped on during the MSF course. So I really didnt have a frame of reference to compare the feel of my Ninja to. Although the bike had just over 5K miles on it, the tires looked fine. So I assumed that the general instability of the bike was due to my poor riding technique. However, today, after putting the Pirelli's on, it feels like a whole new bike. The Pirelli's provide excellent grip and are much more confidence inspiring. I found an empty parking lot on the way home and practiced turns and emrgency stops for a good while to break in the tires and again, its like a completely different bike.

If not for quality of ride issue, get rid of the factory tires as a safety issue.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The Dunlop GT-501's that came on some 2008 version ninjettes were just fine, as were the BT-45's that came on the rest. In fact, the GT-501's were a common upgrade tire for folks on the pre-gen bikes getting rid of the rock-hard K631's.

But all tires tend to get less grippy as they age, and as the profile wears, they feel less responsive and sporty on the road as well. Sounds like yours were starting to get worn out, and new sticky tires always feel great. I like Sport Demons myself as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #3
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I still have the OEM ones on my bike. Yeah, they are not to best, but the could be worse. I've gone into some sharp turns, and lean way over and they feel alright. Only thing I dont like about them is that with i'm down shifting the back tire somtimes skids, but thats only when i'm hauling ass and down shifting to slow into a corner like i'm on a track. Lol
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The Dunlop GT-501's that came on some 2008 version ninjettes were just fine, as were the BT-45's that came on the rest. In fact, the GT-501's were a common upgrade tire for folks on the pre-gen bikes getting rid of the rock-hard K631's.

But all tires tend to get less grippy as they age, and as the profile wears, they feel less responsive and sporty on the road as well. Sounds like yours were starting to get worn out, and new sticky tires always feel great. I like Sport Demons myself as well.
You might have a point Alex re: factory Dunlops. However, the Sport Demons rock.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
+1 for Pirelli's
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I replaced my Dunlops with Dunlops. The 501 is a good tyre for what I am using the bike for---Sport Touring. They are certainly not as sticky as the Pirellis, but they cost considerably less and last a lot longer. The OEM Dunlops logged 12,000 miles when I replaced them. Probably could have gone another 2000. I love the Pirellis--ran Cinturatos on my Super 7. They stuck to the track tenaciously but were worn out after four races. Their performance in the wet is legendary. I did try out a Ninja with Pirellis and it was an impressive ride. It was a ZX6--not a ZX6R. Very nice bike and fast as hell.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

I've heard the Sport Demons wear considerably faster than any of the stock tires. As it was the BT45's were a huge upgrade over the IRC's that came stock on my '09 in terms of traction and still offer a long life. My stock front actually lasted 15k but who cares...the IRC's are crap.

My first BT45 rear lasted 7k, second one is at 8.5k now and still going strong. The Sport Demons are probably best overall unless you put a ton of miles on the bike commuting or otherwise...I've heard they can last maybe 4-5k?
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #8
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I dumped my IRC's within the 1st 2 months for the Pirelli Sp. Demons. Yesterday I dumped the Dunlop's on the V-900 (to skitterish & rock hard) in favor of the Pirelli Route MT66.... again, the difference between day and nite... love 'em.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #9
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Don't believe everything you hear about how quickly certain tires wear. I have Sport Demons on my pregen and have gotten about 10,000 miles on them with still a damn good amount of tread left on them.

You want to know why people wear through them so quickly? Track days, or running on the street like they are on the track, constantly pushing the bike to it's absolute limits on each and every ride. If you ride to the limits on each and every ride then it won't matter what tire you use, they will be short lived. If you relax more and just cruise and chill then the tires will not wear as quickly. It's the same story with car tires as well. The faster and more spirited you drive/ride the faster a tire will wear down.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #10
bikeguy57
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1974 CB360 2008 Black 250 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I replaced my Dunlops with Dunlops. The 501 is a good tyre for what I am using the bike for---Sport Touring. They are certainly not as sticky as the Pirellis, but they cost considerably less and last a lot longer. The OEM Dunlops logged 12,000 miles when I replaced them. Probably could have gone another 2000. I love the Pirellis--ran Cinturatos on my Super 7. They stuck to the track tenaciously but were worn out after four races. Their performance in the wet is legendary. I did try out a Ninja with Pirellis and it was an impressive ride. It was a ZX6--not a ZX6R. Very nice bike and fast as hell.
As in Caterham Super 7?
bikeguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote