ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Breaking the Law, breaking the law!

Ok, so I go out for a minute to pick up some cat food. I'm trying to cram Twist of the Wrist II so I've been looking for opportunities to test some of the concepts. Just finished the section on body position and rider input, so I was sliding my butt all over the place at every turn. Was heading down A1A, 3 nice big lanes with very few lights, normal traffic is 40-45 (posted 35).

I'm riding a little spirited so I end up at the front of traffic at a red light at the far left lane. In my rear view I see some kind of HD cruiser front end. I crank all the way around and waved hello, and I see a Sportster Squid. Sperrys, shorts, polo and open face helmet on a sportster 883 with all the bells and whistles, tassels and all kinds of fruity type sh_t. Guy looks at me with a confused face like, "do I know you". So I turn around and hit the green light running. Rev hard and into 4th quickly, like I said cage traffic is fast here. He must have been surprised how quickly I got up to 45 cause at the very next light he's inching up behind me revving and making all kinds of noise.

Same thing light goes green I get up to 45-50 in a couple of seconds. I hear him open up and swing all the way around to the right lane swings around a cager and guns it. He blows by pretty fast, I wasn't planning on going any faster than 50 so I'm dust just sitting there. But I know that about 3 blocks ahead is the sweetest turn around. So I decide to put some book knowledge to the test. Granted I'm way behind him and have to open up hard to catch him. He must have sped up to about 65-70 and probably figured "smoked that moped".

I'm pumping go juice on the bike and in my brain. I see him start to brake for the turn maybe 6 - 7 car lengths ahead. Only thing around is one cage between us in the center lane. I didn't look down but I figure I carried maybe 50-60 mph into the 1st turn. Hanging as far as I've ever dared (wearing my Icon knee/shin guards under jeans) I stayed in the left lane but utilized the full lane from edge to edge, he cut across two lanes in front of cage. I kept elbows down, loose grip and used my knee on tank instead of pulling on bar. I barely got off gas into first turn so I was rolling throttle pretty much from the second I dipped the bike. I did wiggle a little shifting weight from one side to the other going into second turn. But man when I popped up and squeezed tank with my knees out of second turn, I couldn't even see him he wasn't even out of the first turn yet.

That was absolutely the most exhilarating thing I've done on bike. Keith Code is a F'ing Genius. I can't wait for Track Day on Sunday.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

At first I thought you said cruiser, meaning cop. So I read the whole thing thinking you two were dueling it out in front of a cop like...seriously? Then I read the beginning again and realized no cop.
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkable View Post
At first I thought you said cruiser, meaning cop. So I read the whole thing thinking you two were dueling it out in front of a cop like...seriously? Then I read the beginning again and realized no cop.
Edited
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #4
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Those HD make all sorts of reving racket at stops and down shifting, I guess the owners think because the timing is so "lumpy" they will stall. When I ride my friends 883 I don't notice myself making all that noise.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #5
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Brilliant! Great story!

I was coming back from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb on a very similar set of twisites (3 lane high way) and I'm just enjoying the turns at over the speed limit. I see a camaro out of the corner of my eye and I'm thinking let's have a bit of fun. Well, 4 turns later I actually look over to get a full view of this car that's just pacing me to give them the thumbs up and shock slaps me right in the face. Turns out it's a sheriff with his daughter in the passenger seat. I'm kinda frozen to see what he'll do, half way to giving him the thumbs-up. He looks over and shows me "slow down" by moving his flat horizontal hand up and down. The smile returns to my face and I give him a great big thumbs up and back it down. AWESOME COP! And he powers on well above the limit without his lights on. The guy knows what's up!

Keep it up mang! And stay smart.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #6
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I had a similar experience a while back with a guy on a CBR...We hit the straight, and of course he left me quickly....I just kept it wound up a little bit....as soon as we hit the curved part of the road, I didnt have to bleed off any speed like he did....I caught him quickly, and left him in the dust in the twisties. I pulled off about 10min later at a gas station....here he comes about 5 min behind me doing 100+ on the straight section in front of the gas station trying to catch up. Wonder how long it took him to realize I turned off.

There are so many riders that can only go fast in a straight line....whoopty doo.

Carving corners is what seperates the men from the boys.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #7
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Carving corners is what seperates the men from the boys.
Amen!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #8
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Just make sure it doesn't separate the organ donors from the receivers.

Old September 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #9
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Haha nice move. I had I similar experience except this was in my car. I was driving on the way to school when this 2002 celica GT-S just kinda goes right through a stop sign when it was my turn to go. I end up behind him and then he floors it. At that point I'm like whatever. But then I see him again later up the road behind another slow car and he just sits there. So I pass them both, I guess this didn't make him happy. We approach a green light turn and he is behind me and floors it again to go by me (keep in mind I never fully worked my car). I am now approaching one of my favorite turns to take at speed in my car so I'm like "okay mister super celica lets see if you can out handle my big ass sedan" I enter the corner and I am right on his bumper. We approach the next corner and heck if this was a track I would have blown by him. After that I shoots off again going probably near 100mph (I just continued onto the highway going about 70mph which was about what the rest of traffic was doing, no need to speed like a maniac) gets on the interstate and starts weaving through traffic in the shoulders. I was like tisk tisk this is why you don't need that car. Restored my faith in my little car and its an autotragic too(I really wish it was stick shift).

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #10
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i like how your diagrams really add depth to the story so, about a year ago, i posted in some thread, maybe it was about 250's vs bigger bikes, anyhoo....i posted about how obviously my bf's 08 cbr 1000 leaves me in the dust on any straight stretches, but that i could out corner him every time...i had several people tell me i was crazy... apparently i am not the only one who has experienced this?
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote