ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSXR 600 K4, Kawasaki ninja 250r 08

Arai helmet VS new shark s900 C

im looking into buying a new helmet... well i've been looking into it for a while because mines a bit small and i've narrowed it down to the new Shark S900C which is new for 2012 or i dont know a model yet because they're REALLY expensive so i dont want it over £350 as im already going to have to save if i get that one but thats an arai

I've tried on the arai and wow... my head didnt know what happened to it, you could tell that it was a £400 helmet but thats all it really is a good quality helmet? compared to the shark S900C (£200 ish) i cant tell that much difference between the quality. i may go with the shark due to the fact that it looks ******* awesome because it has a glow in the dark design and also has air bags in the cheeks which you can blow up/deflate for a better fit and also a tinted inner sun visor. where as the arai has nothing...

Just not sure which one would be better they both seem good quality or is there something im missing with them both?

Shark S900C
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...ent_prod/86184

Arai (any model may not get this one)
http://www.topgearsuperstore.com/-bu...as-p-2372.html
jack_bm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

my vote would be for arai. the material, fit, and finish is the best. i've tried one on and they fit my head shape great and really light weight. now i just have to save up some $. but go for whatever fits you best.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Arai > all helmets in my experience. It's like comparing a Mercedes 500SL to a Honda Civic. C'mon now.

Old February 7th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4
dark_beaverezt
ninjette.org member

Name: JOHAN

Motorcycle(s): YAMAHA X1, YAMAHA SNIPER 135LC, KawasaKi ninja 250r

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG with an ARAI...
dark_beaverezt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Upon completion of my "quick reply.." I realized how much I wrote. So if you want to read through it, good luck

You need to try on fit before anything... In my opinion, Shark will provide better protection than Arai. I recently purchased a Shark Race R Pro after having tried on literally 20 different helmets. I paid quite a bit, much more than you plan to, though I was lucky enough to be granted a huge discount, but in the end it is worth it.

Having been said, I tried on just about every full faced Arai available in the UK (I was in Hong Kong) in a shop that sold almost nothing other than Arai helmets. I tried on top dollar HJC (RPHA10 as well as the RPS10 and Japanese version and a few others). I tried on several Suomy, Bell (UK), Airoh, AGV, Shoei (UK), and Nexx helmets. I also tried on the Shark RSR2 and the Race R. When I say tried on, I spent 3 days going back and forth between stores trying helmets on for 10-15 minutes at a time (the benefits to metropolitan cities). Above all, the fit was the most difficult for me to find (even though I am Chinese).

As for quality, the worst quality I found to be with Nexx, simply because the liner/pads was not at all comfortable and folded under itself. Beyond that, all the helmets showed to be of top notch quality. Arai is well known for quality, there is no doubt about it; but I truly believe that Shark has exceeded them in quality and protection. One thing that turned me away from otherwise very comfortable helmets was their Sharp rating. I was very surprised to find how poorly many Arai helmets (other than the GP5X, if I remember) did on Sharp testing. On the flip side, Bell has 5 stars for every one of their helmets, and Shark has 4 and 5 for many of them. You don't have to let the Sharp test be the deciding factor for you, as it is not by any means the only definition of protection. In the end, it really boils down to personal opinion. For me, given the research I had done prior to purchasing a helmet, the Sharp test came in high regard, where as the Snell testing came second. And ECE exceeded DOT (despite legality issues) in every regard.

Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either helmet. The standards for ECE2205 as well as DOT are well within the limits to keep you alive without sustaining heavy injury under normal uses. But when you consider many accidents that result in head injury occur in less than normal cases, I personally prefer to put my money on my head then in my pocket (based on testing, anyways). If you check the Sharp website, you will find that the Arai Chaser (not the Chaser V) scored 3 stars, where as the Shark S900 (not the S900C) managed 4 stars. Given the price differential and the added safety I would buy the Shark. Like I noted though, these are not the "up to date" models as both the S900 and the Chaser have been updated, apparently.

I don't mean to be biased towards Shark given my recent purchase, but looking at just those two helmets, I'd go with the Shark. Prior to this, I was dead set on getting an Arai RX-Q (in Fluorescent!), but after having tried on so many, I changed my mind.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #6
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Upon completion of my "quick reply.." I realized how much I wrote. So if you want to read through it, good luck

You need to try on fit before anything... In my opinion, Shark will provide better protection than Arai. I recently purchased a Shark Race R Pro after having tried on literally 20 different helmets. I paid quite a bit, much more than you plan to, though I was lucky enough to be granted a huge discount, but in the end it is worth it.

Having been said, I tried on just about every full faced Arai available in the UK (I was in Hong Kong) in a shop that sold almost nothing other than Arai helmets. I tried on top dollar HJC (RPHA10 as well as the RPS10 and Japanese version and a few others). I tried on several Suomy, Bell (UK), Airoh, AGV, Shoei (UK), and Nexx helmets. I also tried on the Shark RSR2 and the Race R. When I say tried on, I spent 3 days going back and forth between stores trying helmets on for 10-15 minutes at a time (the benefits to metropolitan cities). Above all, the fit was the most difficult for me to find (even though I am Chinese).

As for quality, the worst quality I found to be with Nexx, simply because the liner/pads was not at all comfortable and folded under itself. Beyond that, all the helmets showed to be of top notch quality. Arai is well known for quality, there is no doubt about it; but I truly believe that Shark has exceeded them in quality and protection. One thing that turned me away from otherwise very comfortable helmets was their Sharp rating. I was very surprised to find how poorly many Arai helmets (other than the GP5X, if I remember) did on Sharp testing. On the flip side, Bell has 5 stars for every one of their helmets, and Shark has 4 and 5 for many of them. You don't have to let the Sharp test be the deciding factor for you, as it is not by any means the only definition of protection. In the end, it really boils down to personal opinion. For me, given the research I had done prior to purchasing a helmet, the Sharp test came in high regard, where as the Snell testing came second. And ECE exceeded DOT (despite legality issues) in every regard.

Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either helmet. The standards for ECE2205 as well as DOT are well within the limits to keep you alive without sustaining heavy injury under normal uses. But when you consider many accidents that result in head injury occur in less than normal cases, I personally prefer to put my money on my head then in my pocket (based on testing, anyways). If you check the Sharp website, you will find that the Arai Chaser (not the Chaser V) scored 3 stars, where as the Shark S900 (not the S900C) managed 4 stars. Given the price differential and the added safety I would buy the Shark. Like I noted though, these are not the "up to date" models as both the S900 and the Chaser have been updated, apparently.

I don't mean to be biased towards Shark given my recent purchase, but looking at just those two helmets, I'd go with the Shark. Prior to this, I was dead set on getting an Arai RX-Q (in Fluorescent!), but after having tried on so many, I changed my mind.

Wow thats so helpfull! thanks for that, that has sort have made me go more towards the shark, i know in the back of my mind that arai's price also has a lot to do with the name (not saying its bad quality or anything but its a good name with good quality) but with the shark you get these new modern touches for example the tinted visor within the helmet as well as the normal visor, the cheek pads which i have never seen before.

Thats interesting with the Arai getting 3 stars on one of the models and shark getting better, i think i may go for the shark helmet.

The shop didnt have any of the S900C in stock because they're new and should be in next month or something so i will go try it on, go away think about it some more, probably try it on some more and then if i think its right buy it

Thanks for all the help guys i know a lot of people have said arai but im thinking i may go for the shark as its a new model and been updated

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #7
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

My vote would be for the Shoei, oh............wait....
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #8
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
My vote would be for the Shoei, oh............wait....
Just had to be different aye

Old February 10th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #9
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

And let me speak on behalf of Sharks quality: Comparing the RSR2 to the Race R Pro (this is a 300 dollar difference), both were top notch quality. I honestly I do not think that Arai or Shark are better than the other in the quality department! I just like the 4mm shield
leed is offline   Reply With Quote