ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 5th, 2018, 08:50 PM   #41
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Hey maybe I'll try it. Riding a Ninja should tell them a Harley is out of my price range. I'd be happy with a 1975 Sportster. Heck I'd even bring it back with a full tank of gas. I'll let you know - when it warms up.

Bill
Ram Jet stay away from the mid-70 sportsters. AMF was having issues. Harley ion heads from 1979 to 1984 were pretty well sorted. All the Evo-engine bikes are good. 1996-2003 ( pre rubber mounted engines) are good. They gaine 50 pounds when they changed the frame and mounts. 2007 has EFI.

My next project is an Iron Head resto back to showroom condition.
After that it a 883 sportster with hammer 1250cc kit to about 100 hp bobber style. Stock is only around 50 something. Harley seems to leave a lot of room for performance mods.
Right now I am in the process of the 250 cafe style. Since I no longer have to punch the time clock I need to build stuff. Can't spend all day riding around Florida.
I have restored a 1980 Honda CX 500. I was going to cut it up in a cafe bike, but as so nice with only a little over 3000 miles for $800 bucks. It was sitting 24 years. Cleaned the tank and carbs and it fired up like new. It looks like new.
1963 Honda 305 Dream, a 1976 Honda Elsnore, 2006 Big Ruckus, and the Fatboy.
I am not a mechanic. When I raced the mechanics tune the bikes. Google can make almost anyone an expert. Get some nice tools and go to work. I fab most my own pullers, drivers, and special tools. Amazing what you can make with some steel a welder and a grinder. And with the help of guys here, on the CX500 forum, Harley forums, and Honda forums you can figure just about anything out.
And keep it running.
Harley's have so many aftermarket suppliers you can build a new sportster without one official Harley part. No not even the frame or the engine.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote