Notices

Old July 11th, 2018, 03:33 PM   #1
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Cleaning riding leathers?

Random question. Where do you get leathers cleaned? My other half wants to get them cleaned (we don't especially want to do it ourselves) and the local dry cleaners looked at them and said no, they can't do it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2018, 03:52 PM   #2
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The outside I'd just clean with leather cleaner but if it's the inside that needs it, I'd get new leathers.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:46 PM   #3
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
My wife's a leather expert and did an awesome job of cleaning my leathers. I got one set used with questionable history. So she tossed in washing machine and air-dried. Had me hop into it at end when it was still damp. Then rubbed it all over with genuine mink-oil. After couple hours it was dry and I took it off. She made small incision on inside liner for nozzle and sprayed entire inside surface with Lexol Deep Conditioner. Final touch on outside with Leather Honey finished job and it looked brand new! Been very soft and supple year later! ~20 days/yr

Second set leathers was new. Just needed wiping down with cleaner and Leather Honey occasionally. After a year, I'll probably do same washing-machine & mink-oil treatment. ~20 days/yr

Third kangaroo suit I use only for races. It gets occasional wipe down with cleaner and stuff sprayed on. ~15 days/yr

I also make sure I remove suit between each track session and turn arm & legs inside out and lay out on trailer to dry. People are always asking why I'm not riding if I'm at track because most of time, I'm not suited up! Takes me around 2-min and 43-sec to hop into suit, boots, gloves and ready to ride!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 12th, 2018 at 03:10 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2018, 02:31 AM   #4
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Bill's
http://racingleather.com

Old July 12th, 2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

For quick surface cleaning (dead bugs, light road grime), you can just spray it with Pledge and wipe off. Also makes it smell nice. For a thorough cleaning (smells funny, long ride in the rain, crashed in grass), use saddle soap, sun dry (ideally, dryer on low works too).

Finish up with your favorite oil. I like neatsfoot because it's easier to work with than mink oil, doesn't leave a residue, and softens better. Mink waterproofs much better, but tends to stay sticky. It's a good choice for boots (used to be all I used on my hiking boots in Scouts) but I wouldn't let it anywhere near your glove palms. Beeswax is even more extreme on the waterproofing than Mink and will tend to stiffen the leather a bit. Pretty much don't use it for MC stuff.

Oh, and hockey player trick - Stick a dryer sheet in your gear between rides, and maybe one in the back protector pocket. Helps keep them smelling nice between thorough cleanings.

Old July 12th, 2018, 09:49 AM   #6
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I think it's the inside he's more worried about.... cleaning the outside leather is pretty easily done but we don't know how to get the liner clean so we're looking to have it done somewhere.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I take mine to a dry cleaner that specializes in cleaning leathers (about $80). As far as keeping the outside supple, I rub it down with mink oil at the end of the season.

Where an undersuit! It will help you get in and out of your suit faster along with easier, and..... you will have less funk in you leathers.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

If it’s the inside you want to clean, then get quality leathers, I can take the whole liner out of mine, which is fitted with zips & velcro. Just pop in washing machine

Most leathers are happy to go through a low temp wash cycle, slow spin. Best done in a laundrette washer !!! Let drip dry & wear them before fully dry to make it fit like a glove. Use a leather lube/oil once fully dry. To protect it & keep it supple.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.