ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you wear earplugs when you ride?
On every ride 89 32.84%
On most rides 57 21.03%
Only on long trips 43 15.87%
Never 65 23.99%
What? 17 6.27%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #121
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

I use my v moda earbuds and some low volume music - which I know is illegal in Cali but whatever.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #122
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I bought some earplugs after my first ride on the freeway. It was just too loud, and I found myself thinking about the noise instead of concentrating on everything around me. But with the plugs its fairly quiet and more comfortable. I wont use em just for putting around town or staying under 50mph, but If i know im going to be hitting the freeway, highway or just speeding i'll put them on.

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #123
Finder
ninjette.org member

Name: Mr.

Motorcycle(s): F650GS Dakar, FJR1300, Ninja 250R

I never ride without hearing protection, whether from generic foam earplugs or my Etymotic ER6i isolating earphones. I've spoken (ie. yelled) to too many long time riders around here to know that hearing loss can be a major problem for our 'sport'. Protect your senses! You only have 6.
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #124
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250R

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to chime in with some experience. I used to live above a glass dumpster that got emptied three days a week at 6am, and so I started sleeping with earplugs. I've also spent a lot of time on airplanes. I've tried literally dozens of kinds of earplugs over the years, and HEAROS "Ultimate Softness" plugs are by far the most comfortable I have ever used. I use them every night when I sleep, I use them on every ride longer than 5 mins, and I sometimes even use them when taking exams. I've found that they last a long time; I can use one pair for 20-30 wearings before they go flabby, and they don't chafe my ear canals like, for example, the cheap yellow E-A-R kind. Highly recommended.
kobachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #125
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Stock Ninja is very quiet, but wind noise over 45mph or so is painful to me. Perhaps my helmet sucks. Yes I wear earplugs, except sometimes for commuting to work (which is 45 and under). I got the bulk pack at Home Depot. They are not very good.

Thanks, Kobachi, I will check into the ones you suggest
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #126
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I like ear plugs.

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #127
drstimpy
two wheels good

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250 and 08 Triumph Sprint ST and custom calfee carbon race tandem

plugs

EPATT
need to hear everything at work. I have some custom solid plugs I got from a motorcycle show and I use them on the bike and in a plane and when I listen to a band. I have a Camos bluetooth system that I can hear fine in the helmet at speed for phone, intercom, and music as needed.

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #128
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

^^^Those HEAROS are the only plugs I ever use. I tried some different hearos once, they were blue, and they were painful after an hour of use, so I stick with the tan ones.

I went without earplugs all winter, because I was not riding much, then I got a new pack a couple of weeks ago. It messed up my whole sensation of speed, I took off down the road after I got them, and I thought I was only going about 45 (speed limit was 40), after I scraped my pegs on the ground a few times I thought something was weird, so I looked at my speedo mid turn, and it was reading a solid 90mph. I totally remembered that I ride much much faster when wearing earplugs, because it feels like I am going slower.

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #129
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I use in-ear headphones, but only sometimes play music through them, most of the time they're just in there to block on the exhaust/wind noise. I sometimes don't bother if I'm going for a <5min ride.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #130
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I actually had some custom earplugs made earlier today (Turns out there was an E.A.R. Inc provider just 60 miles from home). Just $55 and supposedly they'll last a couple years, being custom molded to my ears, they're incredibly comfortable, and I won't be able to use the too lazy to pick up more plugs excuse and just go without (which I've been doing way too often recently).

Otherwise, it seems somewhat ironic that I coat myself in hundreds of dollars of protective gear from head to toe to protect myself when something goes wrong, but I hardly worried about protecting the one thing that's being damaged constantly as long as things are going right.

I went on a long ride with them today, and it feels much better then the cheap CVS foam plugs I used occasionally before, and the drastic reduction in wind noise is heaven. Although, yeah, I definitely ride notably faster wearing earplugs right now The world seems so slower when you don't hear it yelling at you so loudly. I approve ^_^
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #131
clegg
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 - Blue, Had a '09 Ninja 250R

I am new to riding (Just about 2 weeks now), and picked up a 24 pack of ear plug for a 80 mile ride I went on yesterday... So much better. I am 32 and can still hear (on the link earlier in the thread) the sounds down to the 18 year old level, so I am still keen on keeping my ears in good shape. I found the earplugs (just cheapie purple foam ones), were super comfortable, and kept me much more relaxed on the bike. Just one of the items I consider part of my ATGATT routine.
clegg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #132
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Stopped wearing them after buying my new helmet. Seems like I can hear much better with it than my last one so I just don't use them anymore.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #133
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstimpy View Post
EPATT
need to hear everything at work. I have some custom solid plugs I got from a motorcycle show and I use them on the bike and in a plane and when I listen to a band. I have a Camos bluetooth system that I can hear fine in the helmet at speed for phone, intercom, and music as needed.
John, I have a few goods friends from Wareham. You ever dirt bike in Miles Standish? I love it down there.

Old March 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #134
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I haven't used plugs on 42 years riding. I'm 60.
Checked with audiologist...have 22% loss in 1 ear, 28% loss in the other.
Top of the line hearing aid is $3200 (oh, yeah, batteries are free for the life of the device,estimated at 3-5 years)
So, i took the money I would've spent on the hearing aid, bought a ninjette and spent 99 cents on 6 lil' green plugs ( look a lot like kawa green)
ON an all day ride at speed, they make a big difference...wish I would've got smart years ago. Can't say for sure i ruined my hearing with wind noise but the roar didn't help.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #135
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
did you try testing your hearing using this yet? http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
I just tried this, and I can barely hear the 16khz 30 and younger one. All at the ripe old age of 20. sigh, I think I'm going to be deaf and blind by the time I get old, with crippling joint pain.

Edit, I got my mom and my brother to do it. My brother can hear the middle 24 one, and my mom can only hear the top 2.

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #136
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
I just tried this, and I can barely hear the 16khz 30 and younger one. All at the ripe old age of 20. sigh, I think I'm going to be deaf and blind by the time I get old, with crippling joint pain.

Edit, I got my mom and my brother to do it. My brother can hear the middle 24 one, and my mom can only hear the top 2.
Just tried it too, I can hear the 20khz one which is 18 and younger, I'm 18

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #137
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

That's a cool link. I can hear the 39 and under, not the 30 and under, and I'm 36. So I don't feel TOO bad.

I've never wore earplugs but I'm going to start on long trips. One of the first things I got for my bike was the touring wind screen. So at 60mph or less, it's seriously QUITE. But over 65 it starts getting loud, and by 80 I can totally see how it would cause hearing loss.

My daily commute is 65mph for like 5 minutes, and all the rest is stop and go with a max of 50mph so theres no need for it. But on my last road trip I would really have loved some.

On a slight side note, the high windshield is amazing. Fully upright, quite, un-buffeting riding up to the 60's. HUGE improvement on Buffeting and noise over stock. And I at least don't think it looks overly dorky. But then I'm more into touring bikes than super sports, so I may be a bit biased toward the look.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #138
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

I just turned an old chapstick tube into an earplug container. I pried the bottom adjuster wheel thingy off, pulled the screw stick thingy out, and cleaned it up real good. I shoved two of the tan HEAROS plugs in there, and it was a perfect fit. I could not get them out at first, but when you remove the bottom part, it leaves a small hole in the bottom, and to remove them, I just blow into the bottom on the tube, and they just shoot out.

So if anyone needs something to keep a pair of earplugs in, and they have an old chapstick container laying around, its worth a try to see if they fit.

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #139
kkim

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #140
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I don't my helmet is whisper quiet.

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #141
kkim

Can you hear all of these?

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #142
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

19hz which is right in my proper age group. Not bad considering I work on airplanes a lot.

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #143
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Ugh. i wear earplugs most of the time and i can only hear up to 15khz! i'm not 40 yet! -_-
guess i better start wearing them _ALL_ the time! ...even when i'm not on the bike!

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #144
LegB4Wicket
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I use earplugs about 90 per cent of the time and always when I'm travelling on highways or going above city speeds.

Use Laser Lite, made by Howard Leight. Cost me 15 cents per pair at a local safety equipment store. Buy them by the dozens and ony wear them for one or two days max.

http://www.survivair.com/Products/Ho...site=/americas

Huge reduction in noise and I feel far more comfortable on the bike. Well worth the minimal investment.
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #145
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Otherwise, it seems somewhat ironic that I coat myself in hundreds of dollars of protective gear from head to toe to protect myself when something goes wrong, but I hardly worried about protecting the one thing that's being damaged constantly as long as things are going right.
Precisely
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #146
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

I use earplugs all the time. Tried some of the "1-time use" kind, 2 years ago, that you shape with your fingers and place. I cant go anywhere without them now. There is alot of windnoise as soon as i pass 60 km/t, and without earplugs you simply got no chance of hearing the engine, traffic etc. I use 2-3 bags in one season, very cheap, much value for the money.

These in-ear music plugs are not as good, they give me music, but they tend to hurt after a while if their not placed 100% correct.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #147
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I use plugs to limit wind noise.

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #148
QuarterBoreNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): Why do you care?

I've always worn ear plugs. Some of my helmets are quieter than others but no matter what, I've got plugs in. Knocking out the wind noise not only protects your hearing but it lets you hear the machine much better and atleast for me, my riding is more precise when I can hear the machine's music...

QuarterBoreNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #149
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I always wear ear plugs. Every helmet I reviewed on webbikeworld.com mentioned always properly using earplugs with all of their tests and that was all I needed to be convinced. I have been near-blind since I was young, and require contacts/glasses to do anything really, so I have always been protective of the senses that do work right.

Oh, and I can hear all but the very last sound, the 22kHz one. I'm 33, and I work for a school district and directly with the kids. Hope they can all hear that last one for their texts! LOL!
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #150
Méké
ninjette.org member

Name: Méké

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 2013 SE , Ninja 2009 blue/Honda Nighthawk S 1985 blue

All the time for me and when l forgot them
Méké is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #151
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

I have to.

Doing 75mph in the Texas Hill Country with 20 mph crosswinds is impossible without earplugs.

Just one warning: one time I ended up reusing a set of earplugs about 30 times. After the 28th time or so, the earplugs refuse to muffle any noise. Just replace them once in a while.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #152
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

I don't really need to on the 250R. I'm already hard of hearing; genetic condition. On the YZ125 however, the sound of the engine scares me if I don't have earplugs in. The aftermarket exhaust makes it sound like it's going to rip my guts out.

Derned two-strokes.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #153
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

It's not the engine noise though, it's the constant windnoise that causes the long-term damage. Loud bike or quiet bike, if you're riding at highway speeds for any distance, the wind noise is well into dangerous levels on even the "quietest" helmets.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #154
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's not the engine noise though, it's the constant windnoise that causes the long-term damage. Loud bike or quiet bike, if you're riding at highway speeds for any distance, the wind noise is well into dangerous levels on even the "quietest" helmets.
Oh, I know. Wind noise doesn't bother me on the 250R. I was saying the engine noise on the YZ125 scared me without earplugs, negatively affecting my confidence.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #155
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #156
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

The ONLY time I don't wear earplugs are the extremely few times I'm going like a mile or so at less then 45mph. But 99.9% I have earplugs in cause I'm usually taking a highway of some sort and going around 70+mph for several miles. Learned the hard way early on that it hurts to commute to and from work w/o them in. Of course working in an aircraft hanger there's a foam earplug dispenser they keep full. So I just use those (hey they're free :P) and replace every couple of weeks when it feels like they are getting weak.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #157
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I can't even SIT on my bike without ear plugs. Makes me too uncomfortable... I've just gotten use to them.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #158
Kipawa

Hey, tried the foam ear plugs on my get away from the family early Saturday monring before I get in trouble for not doing what I should be doing bike ride and yes they made a huge difference. Absolutely can still hear all you need to bike wise with repsect to the revs and engine. But, wow, definitely less wind noise and so much easier to concentrate. Defnitely rode more smoothly and definitely faster! The only thing that was louder was that damn guy in my head, glad to hear others have him too!

Going to try my ipod on tomorrrow mornings you know ride for comparision.

Thanks for the great advice!

Old May 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #159
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipawa View Post
Hey, tried the foam ear plugs on my get away from the family early Saturday monring before I get in trouble for not doing what I should be doing
At first I read this as -- "I tried the foam earplugs TO get away from my family"
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #160
Kipawa

Was I supposed to take them out when I got home?