ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Ninja 250R specific Givi Top Box MonoLock Mount

Hey all I'm new to the whole ninja 250 group but since I've gone and bought one of these little bikes I figure it's only a matter of time before I need to personalize mine. I know there are a lot of products out there for this machine but some things don’t always measure up in my opinion, one such item is the Top Box mount options for our bikes.

I recently bought a GIVI 370 monolock used from another rider and I'm in the process of prototyping my own mounting plate. The reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone else would be interested in a product like this for their bike. If I get a few people interested I will make several at once. Keep in mind this is only the unfinished prototype and after its done I'll be taking it to a friend and having him make a nice carbon mold.

If anyone has any ideas, recommendations, or feedback let me know.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Depending on how you decide to make it. I might be interested in one or at the very least, provide some ideas into the construction process. I made myself a set of sidecase mounts for the Givi E21's and I love them. I started thinking about topcase mounts but have yet to design it yet.

Do keep us posted on your progress. How do you have it mounted? Passenger seat lock?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Depending on how you decide to make it. I might be interested in one or at the very least, provide some ideas into the construction process. I made myself a set of sidecase mounts for the Givi E21's and I love them. I started thinking about topcase mounts but have yet to design it yet.

Do keep us posted on your progress. How do you have it mounted? Passenger seat lock?
I hear a lot of people don't like the idea of using the seat lock and I have to agree. My design uses four existing holes in the swingarm very secure. I'll make at least one out of carbon for my bike but if the cost is to high I can always make them out of aluminum instead.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I hear a lot of people don't like the idea of using the seat lock and I have to agree. My design uses four existing holes in the swingarm very secure. I'll make at least one out of carbon for my bike but if the cost is to high I can always make them out of aluminum instead.
Hope you mean subframe

The bolt on version isn't that expensive

Twisted Throttle Alu-rack
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:22 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Oops I did mean subframe, was in a hurry with my replay so I could get out of work and on the bike.

Oh your right the twisted throttle rack isn't bad I hadn't seen that one before. But since I don't plan on ever having a passenger I'd like to utilize the rear seat area and make a more trim and compact design.

I have two options for mounting hardware option 1 no additional special tools required but you would have to remove the tail fairings to get to the mounting nuts under the plate then reassemble.

Option 2 requires you to use rivet nuts(special tool) in 4 location on the subframe this is my preferred method since I already own the rivet nut gun and it would on take less then 2 minutes to swap.

Old November 4th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I decided to go with the mounting method that uses rivet nuts placed into the subframe so there will be no removal of the fairings. I also molded in resessed mounting points that look like the small craters that countersink or button head bolts already used everywhere else on the bike. I also added a 4deg hard line right down the center to give it more rigidity that way we won't have to lay so many layers of carbon for strength. This means it's not completely flat be since I don't want my monolock plate scuffing up my carbon cowl I'll be mounting the plate with rubber grommets that will give me just enough clearance for the center hard line.

Sorry I forgot to snap a picture of the mold but it's now with my buddy who molds the carbon so I should have something back next week.

Old September 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #7
perplexed
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R..... BLUE, 2000 Kawasaki W650

Rojoracing53, are you able to share any detailed pics of the gear you attached to the subframe?
From my quick measurements, the front and back cross braces are at different angles. I'd really like to know how you overcame this to mount the plate with the four bolts.
I'm guessing you used spacers of some sort?
Pics look schmick, and I'd love to replicate your work. If you or anyone else can help out with details it'd much appreciated.
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed View Post
Rojoracing53, are you able to share any detailed pics of the gear you attached to the subframe?
From my quick measurements, the front and back cross braces are at different angles. I'd really like to know how you overcame this to mount the plate with the four bolts.
I'm guessing you used spacers of some sort?
Pics look schmick, and I'd love to replicate your work. If you or anyone else can help out with details it'd much appreciated.
First yes ill post any pics I can find

Second I don't remember the two cross members being so far off in angle to cause any problems but maybe I just didn't notice I thought they were rather parallel but offset of each other. I used thick plastic spacers kinda like PVC but with a small ID and large OD(thick walls) of different lengths to get the mounting plate to sit at an angle parallel with the two subframe cross members. The lengths are something like 3/4" and 1-1/2"(do your own measuring because those are estimates based off a photo in my head)

I highly recommend used the rivet nuts in the frame and long 6mm bolts from the top of the plate to hold it down because this make its easy to remove.

Old September 16th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #9
perplexed
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R..... BLUE, 2000 Kawasaki W650

cross members are out by a little bit, but by increasing the size of the front spacer I guess I can overcome this enough so the difference becomes negligible. I've gotta learn to be more flexible

I cut up an old cutting board to dummy something up while it was pouring rain yesterday. The top box I have to mount is nothing short of enormous, hence why I want to bolt it to the bike, and close to me. I'll never ride with a pillion on this bike.
See pic below, keeping in mind that it's precariously in about the right .

Also curious about installing the rivet nuts. Can you switch the pillion seat back in easy or did you have to alter the seat in any way?
Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg top box size up.jpeg (257.6 KB, 10 views)
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #10
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed View Post
cross members are out by a little bit, but by increasing the size of the front spacer I guess I can overcome this enough so the difference becomes negligible. I've gotta learn to be more flexible

I cut up an old cutting board to dummy something up while it was pouring rain yesterday. The top box I have to mount is nothing short of enormous, hence why I want to bolt it to the bike, and close to me. I'll never ride with a pillion on this bike.
See pic below, keeping in mind that it's precariously in about the right .

Also curious about installing the rivet nuts. Can you switch the pillion seat back in easy or did you have to alter the seat in any way?
Thanks for your help
I can swap back to the pillon seat with the removal of the 4 bolts that hold the plate. Your going to want to mount it toward the back of the bike like I did because if you ever want use a backpack or carry a tire around your waist(I've don't both several times) you'll need that little extra space. Don't worry you'll never even know its there even fully loaded and haul ass in the canyons.