ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
rmacgillis
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

Unhappy Starter Problems

So, I still have not had any luck with the starter. I noticed today that when its cooler out the bike with make a terrible clacking sound when pressing the starter. However, as the weather warms during the day, the bike will start with minimal noise from the starter and runs like a charm. I still have not been able to pin point the cause yet but I'm hoping it's nothing too expensive as I was just about to put it up for sale.
rmacgillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #2
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Have you tried removing the starter and cleaning it check its bearings ,brushes etc

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #3
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Lostboy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ZZR 250

When its hot out things expand making loose things tight usually. Hence why the sound goes away. I had a clacking that sounds like a chain hitting and my cam chain was done along with my main bearings.
Take a Spoon hold it to the engine when you hear this and you can pin point it by moving the spoon around
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #4
rmacgillis
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

So, I went to start it today after it was baking in the sun, and when I pressed the started button the starter motor just spun. It would not catch to turn the engine over anymore. I think I may try taking the starter motor off and seeing if its just that. I'm hoping the gears are not stripped.
rmacgillis is offline   Reply With Quote