ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
jon.b.calderon
ninjette.org member

chain adjuster cap broke help! Pics included.

So, I recently had my tire changed. Then when I took a trip of about 120 miles I noticed a weird sound coming from the rear end of my bike. When I stopped to check it out. I see that the chain adjuster cap broke and the bolt on the inner chain adjuster was bent outwards with the nut off taken off a little bit. How could this has happened? And would it be easy for me to replace and fix the problem myself? (I have motorcycle stands and all the basic tools for the job I think)

Here is a pic of it now. (I tightened the nut so the cap and the swing army are touring now.)

H6af0yl.jpg

I already purchased these parts:

75-11012-1871-18R : CAP,CHAIN ADJUSTER,BL
75-33040-1116 : ADJUSTER-CHAIN,INNER
75-92015-1364 : NUT,8MM
75-92015-1658 : NUT,FLANGED,8MM

Is there anything else I need to replace?
jon.b.calderon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
The person that replaced your rear tires did not set that broken part properly in the end of the swingarm, and probably did not torque the rear shaft properly or did not leave sufficient slack for the chain.

The part is strong but fragile, and it was overloaded with a bending stress for which it was not designed.

Anyhow, it is an easy replacement if you have the tools.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
It's missing the lock nut. Without the lock nut it backs out and the plate spins and hits the bolts on the sprocket and bsts it. Whoever put your rear wheel on last is to blame

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
You can even see the scrapes on the sprocket nuts

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Yes, Alex's explanation is better than mine above, since the bolt has been bent.

Shouldn't the nut of the shaft be on this side?

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
jon.b.calderon
ninjette.org member

so, should i just replace the parts myself or take it to an kawasaki dealership to get fixed?

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

DIY !!!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13833

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
....Shouldn't the nut of the shaft be on this side?

Yes, if he reverses the axle according to the manual.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #9
jon.b.calderon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
So, which way is the right way, I'm confused.

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The Kawasaki Ninja 250 Service Manual says, insert the axle from the right. Some still insert it from the left.
IMO opinion either way works, but inserting the axle from the right is easier. It makes lining up the caliper and rotor so much easier.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

this exact same thing happen to me when i changed my chain. I didn't tighten the adjuster correctly.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

I hope that the shop or technician that changed the tire did not charge Jon.

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #13
jon.b.calderon
ninjette.org member

Quote:

I hope that the shop or technician that changed the tire did not charge Jon.

yeah they did.

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

I hope they won't have your business again.

Motorcycles cannot be half repaired, they must function perfectly, it is a safety matter.

Either you learn to do any necessary work yourself or you need to find technicians that are really serious and professional.

My best !

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #15
jon.b.calderon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I hope they won't have your business again.

Motorcycles cannot be half repaired, they must function perfectly, it is a safety matter.

Either you learn to do any necessary work yourself or you need to find technicians that are really serious and professional.

My best !
Yup, I will not be going to that shop again.

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #16
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Which shop was this so others can steer clear
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #17
jon.b.calderon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLick415 View Post
Which shop was this so others can steer clear
xtreme cyclez in fairfield-suisun

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i hope you made a visit to them and made it clear to them and any customers within earshot that their gross incompetence put your life and the life of those around you at risk and that if you ever hear that they have risked another riders life with their negligence (not properly completeing the job you were paid and trusted to do is negligence. in this case it could easily lead to mechanical failure which easily could have ended lives) that you will be filing a civil lawsuit against them for poor business practices in regard to mechanical work (this is extremely regulated across the country and poor mechanic work leads to death.) if it was me, i would have demanded the money back, as well as compensation for the parts that failed because of their mistake. as well as a formal written appology including what measures they have taken to correct their negligence. if they don't flat out agree to everything without question i would go on a hate campaign against them.

no, it's not out of the question. they could have killed you because they didn't know what they were doing. do not accept that.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #19
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Well, I wouldnt go as far as to put the entire shop on blast (not yet anyway). I would sit with the manager and the tech that worked on your bike and make them understand that the incompetence of their tech could have very well ended somebodys life. And if they refuse to give you anything short of a full refund, thats when you take things to the next level.

Oh and you should give them their first bad review on their lovely yelp page.

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Their web presence is small enough that a search on their name will likely pull up this thread in the top 10 as soon as tomorrow.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLick415 View Post
Well, I wouldnt go as far as to put the entire shop on blast (not yet anyway). I would sit with the manager and the tech that worked on your bike and make them understand that the incompetence of their tech could have very well ended somebodys life. And if they refuse to give you anything short of a full refund, thats when you take things to the next level.

Oh and you should give them their first bad review on their lovely yelp page.
failure to prevent issues like this before they happen indicates a lack of understanding for basic shop requirements on education and training. you hire a bad mechanic, your shop is bad mechanically. the fact that it happened means they are already not taking things seriously. like i said, they can publish a formal apology and a plan to correct their BUSINESS PLAN MISTAKES. (hiring bad mechanics, or not giving good mechanics enough time to complete a job properly, is purely a business move. they decided they could make due with cheaper mechanics. they made the wrong decision), OR they can get taken to hell, because motorcyclists stick together when standing up against shitbag scam artists who cause danger to motorcyclists.

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #22
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
failure to prevent issues like this before they happen indicates a lack of understanding for basic shop requirements on education and training. you hire a bad mechanic, your shop is bad mechanically. the fact that it happened means they are already not taking things seriously. like i said, they can publish a formal apology and a plan to correct their BUSINESS PLAN MISTAKES. (hiring bad mechanics, or not giving good mechanics enough time to complete a job properly, is purely a business move. they decided they could make due with cheaper mechanics. they made the wrong decision), OR they can get taken to hell, because motorcyclists stick together when standing up against shitbag scam artists who cause danger to motorcyclists.
I agree with everything youre saying here. But to walk in and make a scene in front of all the customers? Are we not civil enough to sit down with them and discuss things like human beings?

Old February 20th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if i was about to put money on the table for a shop to do work, i would very much appreciate knowing the quality of work they do.

besides, if they see you are willing to **** them in the ass every chance you get, they will be more willing to cooperate with your demands.

they had a chance to be civil. they failed. now they can do their best to recover from their ALREADY MADE MISTAKE.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.