ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 26th, 2019, 08:12 PM   #1
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

Name: Donnie

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Exclamation Bike starts but throttle is messed up doesn’t let me use throttle

I took my carb out and cleaned and put it back together and after putting back together. the throttle isn’t snapping back or letting me give it gas at all.
RiderDonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Do you mean something is jammed and you can't change the throttle position with the twist-grip?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2019, 08:55 PM   #3
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Two possible issues come to mind.

The throttle housing cable slots (the round hole) could be out of round/eggshaped, and allowing the end of the cable in the housing have play, for it to twist out, and get jammed between throttle housing, and the switch housing.

OR..

You may have somehow swapped cables? And/or incorrectly adjusted them if they are in the right location?

How old old are the cables? Do they appear to have kinks on either end, or frayed wires? Check throttle body housing for excessive wear and play. Any rubbing/gouges in the switch housing?
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2019, 09:17 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Was throttle working before you took it apart?

Make sure you didn't swap cables.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2019, 08:35 AM   #5
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

I am fairly new to bikes, this is my first one. And yes throttle was working before I took it out. It just idled high and was loud so i knew it needed a cleaning. What would you mean by swapping the cables? My pull cable coming from the grip on the handle bar is still in good condition but you can tell the cable comin from my throttle also from the grip.. is starting to wear. Can I link pictures? They also could be incorrectly adjusted also. But yes something was jammed in the grip twist. It wouldn’t let me give it gas at all or turn throttle back (for the gas to apply) it just acts like it isn’t working. And also isn’t snapping back like it should after giving it throttle. which fits with the same problem I’m assuming. I don’t wanna have to take it somewhere just for these minor fixes I’ve been having a really fun and enjoyale learning experience. All this is new to me but it’s a hell of a lot funner than most things around here. Thank you everyone who has stopped and said something to help! I appreciate it a lot.

Old September 27th, 2019, 09:27 AM   #6
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

You can link pictures from your phone. Where you type in, look at the icons on that window on top. You should see a paper clip icon. Click that. You then have 5 entries to load. When you click the photo you want, and are happy with that, click upload ( near the right side of window. ( it can take a few minutes) when it no longer says. "Uploading photos" click "close window) down at the very bottom. Might have to scroll down. Then click "preview post" if you see your photos, then click "post".

Hope that helps

Old September 27th, 2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I would say that it's time to take a good look at the cables and twist grip assembly by disassembling, cleaning, examining, replacing any broken or worn parts, and lubricating. Obviously you can't be riding it if the throttle is jammed or may jam.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2019, 11:16 AM   #8
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonH7 View Post
I am fairly new to bikes, this is my first one. And yes throttle was working before I took it out. It just idled high and was loud so i knew it needed a cleaning.
Loud is function of muffler. Carbs don't affect noise-level. Idle-speed is adjusted by turning idle-speed adjustment knob at bottom of carbs (green).

Quote:
What would you mean by swapping the cables? My pull cable coming from the grip on the handle bar is still in good condition but you can tell the cable comin from my throttle also from the grip.. is starting to wear. Can I link pictures? They also could be incorrectly adjusted also. But yes something was jammed in the grip twist. It wouldn’t let me give it gas at all or turn throttle back (for the gas to apply) it just acts like it isn’t working. And also isn’t snapping back like it should after giving it throttle. which fits with the same problem I’m assuming. I don’t wanna have to take it somewhere just for these minor fixes I’ve been having a really fun and enjoyale learning experience. All this is new to me but it’s a hell of a lot funner than most things around here. Thank you everyone who has stopped and said something to help! I appreciate it a lot.
There are two identical cable-ends dangling near carbs.

How did you determine which one goes where?

Did you disassemble throttle-grip end at all?

Old September 27th, 2019, 11:54 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Sounds like the cables at the carb are swapped to me.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2019, 03:41 PM   #10
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

Just got off work. yes I disassembled the grip part but I’m not sure which way it exactly goes. But when I’m trying to put it back together the throttle just isn’t reacting at all. It’s something to do with the pull and push cables but I’m not sure which end. From carb or from grip. Both could be messed up. I don’t know the exact proper way they go for it to be able to snap back and work like it once used to.

Old September 27th, 2019, 06:45 PM   #11
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Hope this helps.

For simplicity/clarity, did NOT include the return cable, in the photos. Only illustrated path/location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artflow_201909272041.jpg (58.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg artflow_201909272042.jpg (53.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 201909272042.jpg (92.4 KB, 59 views)

Old September 28th, 2019, 05:00 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

As mentioned in other thread, there are multiple stages involved. Make sure each one is done correctly before proceeding to next. You may have 2-3 errors accumulated together, making it difficult to figure out what's wrong. So... undo your steps to determine what went wrong before moving forward.

1. disconnect cable-ends from carbs. This removes possibility of cables being reversed.

2. twist throttle-tube, does cable-ends move smoothly and in opposite directions? If YES, then move forward with re-connecting cable-ends to carb, making sure you select proper end for each side of throttle-cam.

3. if NOT, then disassemble throttle-tube and make sure it's configured as shown in GAU-8's most excellent photos.

Old September 28th, 2019, 09:29 PM   #13
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Landon,

Since you stated you are new to bikes, please do THIS, before you ride off! ( Don't worry, it happens to us crusty farts too) do EACH one probably 10 times. (At the minimum)

Sit on the bike, upright, do not start the engine.

- Check steering. Make sure it goes FULL "lock to lock" without any friction/tension. ( if so, STOP, and recheck routing, and connections.

- Wiggle the throttle cables near the grip, turn lock to lock...again. do they get caught on anything in different positions? If so, STOP, recheck routing and connections.

- Throttle grip test: Does the grip have at least a few milimeters of " roll on" play, before you feel tension from the cable opening up the butterfly valve on the carbs? If not, STOP and adjust slack.

Throttle open/ return: Does the throttle grip smoothly open, and close full 1/4 turn? If not, STOP and recheck adjustments, throttle body tube for excessive wear.

Does throttle SNAP back into place after release? If not, STOP and check cable adjusters, and/or lubricate throttle cables. ( you need a "cable lubrication tool" to lube them)

Start your motorcycle. Leave in nuetral, let it wam up.

Turn full lock, to lock. ( yes...again) does your RPM rise, while turning the steering? If yes..STOP and recheck your routing. (This is choke cable related, and not throttle cable issue...something is pulling on choke cable from steering input.)

Twist the throttle. Does RPM hang/ not return? If so, STOP, and recheck routing, check for wear on throttle grip tube/housing.

Test ride, for a few minutes, under light braking, accelerating, and, stopping before hitting the road.

Not giving you a hard time, even seasoned riders do dumb jaded stuff. This is one of those areas "close enough" or "looks good" without testing, will bite you in the ass, by a rabid dog, with rusty nails for teeth.

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:00 PM   #14
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Landon,

Since you stated you are new to bikes, please do THIS, before you ride off! ( Don't worry, it happens to us crusty farts too) do EACH one probably 10 times. (At the minimum)

- Throttle grip test: Does the grip have at least a few milimeters of " roll on" play, before you feel tension from the cable opening up the butterfly valve on the carbs? If not, STOP and adjust slack.

How do you adjust the slack? And I will look about roll on play, like does it let me roll the throttle before the other end down by the carburetor (assuming butterfly) Opens?
Throttle open/ return: Does the throttle grip smoothly open, and close full 1/4 turn? If not, STOP and recheck adjustments, throttle body tube for excessive wear.

It doesn’t smoothly open and close and what’s 1/4 turn? and the tubing of the throttle cable ? The black part around the actual cable. I think I can buy a new throttle cable with the tubing on it right
Does throttle SNAP back into place after release? If not, STOP and check cable adjusters, and/or lubricate throttle cables. ( you need a "cable lubrication tool" to lube them)

What are the cable adjusters ? I see a little knob behind the kill switch kinda under neath it. And it doesn’t snap back
Twist the throttle. Does RPM hang/ not return? If so, STOP, and recheck routing, check for wear on throttle grip tube/housing.
Yes it does hang a little
And then dies

I re routed it shown in the picture, I can get it to start but when I open the throttle it dies.
Thank you everyone who has replied!! All the help is appreciated

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:01 PM   #15
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
As mentioned in other thread, there are multiple stages involved. Make sure each one is done correctly before proceeding to next. You may have 2-3 errors accumulated together, making it difficult to figure out what's wrong. So... undo your steps to determine what went wrong before moving forward.

1. disconnect cable-ends from carbs. This removes possibility of cables being reversed.

2. twist throttle-tube, does cable-ends move smoothly and in opposite directions? If YES, then move forward with re-connecting cable-ends to carb, making sure you select proper end for each side of throttle-cam.

3. if NOT, then disassemble throttle-tube and make sure it's configured as shown in GAU-8's most excellent photos.

Thank you this helped a lot

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:14 PM   #16
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

I think I need to buy a new battery also. After about 6 tries of starting it and giving it some gas it dies and now it won’t try to start at all.

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:15 PM   #17
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

Batterys dead so then I have to jump it and what is it that charges the battery or the bike ? Whenever it gets to hot or riding it for so long, etc

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:31 PM   #18
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Hold on.

One, or BOTH of throttle cables is without the plastic sleeve?

Is this your only form of transportation?

Todays bikes have what is called a quarter turn throttle. From full close to full open. Is 1/4 of a complete full turn. ( 360 degrees rotation)

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:55 PM   #19
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Batterys dead so then I have to jump it and what is it that charges the battery or the bike ? Whenever it gets to hot or riding it for so long, etc
Need to put battery on charger overnight. It's alternator on bike that charges battery. Test it by measuring voltage at battery-terminals when running. Further testing is measuring AC voltage at stator output connector for each phase.

Was carbs dying when you opened throttle before you disassembled?
What procedure did you use to clean carbs?

Old September 29th, 2019, 05:08 PM   #20
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

Watched a 30 minute video of how to clean and take apart the carb and then another video from the same guy to put it back together and I used sea foam. And no wasn’t dying before I started working on the bike. It just ran rough. And no this is not my only form of transportation. I have a car also I was just wanting to get hands on and clean and fix the bike up a bit and learn.

And I’m not sure what you mean by the plastic sleeping and it being without it ?

Old September 29th, 2019, 05:11 PM   #21
RiderDonnie
ninjette.org member

I ordered a new throttle cable because it was starting to wear and split, yes it was a 1/4 turn it was not a full 360 . Hopefully the new cable helps with snapping back and how smooth it should be. I should probably just get a new battery also though it does die quite a bit pretty fast

Old September 29th, 2019, 06:56 PM   #22
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Quote:

And I’m not sure what you mean by the plastic sleeving and it being without it ?
i over analyzed, your statement. ( the way I read it, was that you had a cable, without a sleeve at all. At first. But i got it now.)

The cable and sleeve, come as a complete unit.

Last futzed with by GAU-8; September 29th, 2019 at 08:49 PM.

Old September 29th, 2019, 08:28 PM   #23
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

So free play like a linear "safety switch" on your throttle grip.

You want your bike to be at IDLE, when your throttle is closed.

You don't want your bike to be revved up at 4 or 5 k, or more, just sitting there. Without any throttle applied.

But you don't want to have to roll on half way through your throttle grip range, just to take off at 1.5 k RPM. Either.

You want JUUUUST enough wiggle room, so that when you start to roll on the throttle, there's a few millimeters of play, before the bike starts to rev..

Adjusting your throttle cable free play eliminates the margin of error, on either end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artflow_201909292150-picsay.jpg (94.4 KB, 9 views)

Old September 29th, 2019, 08:33 PM   #24
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Double post. Sorry.