ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Well I'm thoroughly confused...

So it's really chilly out tonight, but a friend and I decided to go riding 2up anyway. Long story not so short, we went downtown for a while and the bike cooled down as well as the weather (mid 40s). I started it up and only let it warm up for about a minute before we set off, but I was going easy and just cruising. We got on the main road going about 30-40 and after about a minute I started to hear popping coming from the exhaust (about 1/3 throttle and steady 5-6k rpm)...

It did it the whole way, it seems like it happened while cruising at partial throttle but it was a short trip so I can't really say. After I dropped her off it still did it but not as much (less load? engine warmed up?). I couldn't get it to pop on demand messing with the enricher and everything. I did find out that the enricher makes a good cruise control haha which made me even more confused.

About the bike: Airbox removed, R-0990 with airbox runners, Dynojet kit with 108 mains, idle screws left stock, Yoshimura full system

I'd think with the huge jets it would run rich even for the cold weather and be less likely to pop. It wasn't a loud popping like sometimes when I start it, probably about half as loud. But I still can't think of any reason why this would happen. Any ideas?

Plus doesn't the enricher only add fuel to the mix? Either my carbs are way off or there's air coming from somewhere I don't know about.

I just thought that maybe it's my idle mixture being really lean that's throwing it off and making it pop. I'm gonna post anyway though and see what you guys think
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Have you read the thread about removing the Kleen Air system? It generally solves the popping issue for people who install full exhaust systems such as yours.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ight=kleen+air

Also, you're probably joking about using the enrichener (I'm assuming choke) as a cruise control device, but in case you're not, it's a bad idea. Using the choke after the engine is warmed will foul your spark plugs and/or cause carbon buildup.

Let us know how everything works out
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Oh yeah I removed that too and plugged the hole. I'm at sea level also if anyone's curious

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

The thing with huge main jets is that they start being used around half throttle. Main jets do just about diddly for under half throttle.

My money is on you needing to tune your idle mix screws and needles, esp the needles for midrange lean problems which you're almost guaranteed to have. And after all that, synch your carbs. Don't want one cylinder doing all the work.

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

A choke restricts air supply. An enricher boosts fuel supply and air supply. Its okay to use as a cruise control as long as you're not going miles and miles...but how far would you want to go at 30mph anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
A choke restricts air supply. An enricher boosts fuel supply and air supply. Its okay to use as a cruise control as long as you're not going miles and miles...but how far would you want to go at 30mph anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ah I thought it only added more fuel, I don't plan on using it as a cruise control though haha I was just expecting the engine to bog as I opened it more. I haven't got around to messing with things yet being sick and all but I will soon and I'll report back

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #7
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Isn't the Ninja's "choke" actually an enrichener though?
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
Isn't the Ninja's "choke" actually an enrichener though?
Yeah

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
but skippii... i had always thought that a choke would restrict air supply... and an enricher would boost fuel... not whatever it is that you might have said...

Old October 9th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Your description sounds like the same sitation that causes stock bike to stall when the tank forms a vacuum when you have a mostly empty tank. I'm guessing that that isn't happening thanks to your mods but it's still causing it to run funny.

Basically, it happens when you fully warm the bike, park it for a little while, and then come back and try to leave. If the conditions are right, you usually only make it a couple blocks or so.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote