ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 17th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, Yamaha Dragstar 125

FI model problem - wont idle well and throttle surges

Hi there,

I'm on a 2009 250r but the DFI UK model, so if anyone knows much about this you could really help me out here.

Sometimes, when starting, I'll turn the ignition on, hear it prime, and then hear the crackling sound - like electrics shorting out or something. After this sound stops, the red FI light comes on.

The bike still starts, but if it's a cold start (like this morning), I'll have to give it some gas to keep it going, else it just dies. When it does decide to keep chugging, unlike normally it might rev to 2k, to warm her up, she idles at the standard 1.3k unconvincingly.

Throttle surges sometimes occur too. Like if I just came off the main roads, and start to slow down, or early on into my ride at lights or something, I'll pull the clutch in and it will rev up to 4k or more (I've seen 8K and quickly hit the emergency cut-out). Once turning it back on again, it seems fine, but still with the bloody light.

I'm going to do self-diagnosis when it stops bloody raining, I ride a lot in wet weather (welcome to England), so it could just be connections etc... I have to take her down to the garage to get a new shock and cct next week anyway so will be a good chance to check the connections.

Can any1 shed some light on the problem? Is it safe to keep riding??

Chris
Christofeser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Den
ninjette.org member

Name: Denis

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R(sold); '10 ER-6F

Your battery is low on power. Try charging it, or get a new one. When the battery is low on power - the engine revs higher to send more power to the alternator to charge the battery. This usually happens when bike stands for a while not used. I also had the FI light to come on, and one cylinder to misfire, but all returns to normal after bike is run back in.

Do you a stock exhaust? Cause I noticed sometimes the engine revs much higher from cold start since I changed my exhaust to an after-market slip-on. But this usually goes away after the engine warms up.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Christofeser
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, Yamaha Dragstar 125

Uhhhhh no I haven't charged it in a while, and a lot of my journeys are short ones.

Saying that, I use the bike every day... so it hasnt just been sitting around.

Nah I haven't got a new exhaust... YET! It's my 18th in two weeks and a bit, so hopefully I might have some money spare for a new one.

A guy at college has an MTC exhaust on his VFR400, sounds like the mutt's nuts. I checked online, MTC do stainless for my bike at £115, which is within budget. Looks good too. Am I right in thinking you don't need to adjust anything on the FI bike when putting a slip-on on?

I'll try charging it, battery is a bitch to get into but im sure it will be fine. What kind of charger did you/should I use? Trickle charge? I can also check the voltage when I'm down there, time to get the service manual out...

Chris
Christofeser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #4
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Short trips are murder to a motorcycle battery. Check the voltage in the battery before you start it. If it is below 12.5-13v, cycle it up to start and see where the voltage ends up. If you drop below 12v, you may have a cell that has gone bad. Try putting it on to charge at 2amps over night.

Old January 16th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #5
muzkur
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250R

Hi there, sorry to raise a 1 year thread, but my problem's almost the same.
Last weekend my bike starts to turn the FI Light on. She do it almost ever when the speedometer goes after 100 km/h.
The light turn on and stay. If I throttle down, the light turns off.

Bike looks fine, but that freak light scares me.