ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 29th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #1
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
The MSF Course Is A Great Way To Start Riding But It's Only The Start

Here's a nice article about MSF, and BRC

Link The MSF Course Is A Great Way To Start Riding But It's Only The Start

Side note: I received an email from the KMP which heads up the RiderCoach program in Kentucky, here's an excerpt from the email

"This happens to be the year when the entire rider education program is rebid by the state."

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old November 29th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Good post

Old November 29th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Really good stuff there.

The reason new riders get the chorus of "TAKE THE MSF COURSE" around here is for the exact reasons that writer cites. It's about getting the fundamentals right before you take it out into the real world.

So many fail videos show that people didn't get the real basics down. Sure it seems elementary. It is. And it is just what's advertised... the basics.

This is at the level of a toddler learning to walk, and intentionally so. Little kids fall down a lot learning that stuff, but hey... babies bounce. It's okay.

So the takeaway is absolutely on point. The BRC gets you started on what is, if you're smart, a lifetime learning journey.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Having watched my daughter, my two sons, and a good friends wife learn to ride in the last 15 months, and taking the course myself, I whole heartedly agree with that article.

After each of them passed the Virginia version of the MSF course I (or my friend) spent quite a bit of time riding around in parking lots and on side streets early in the morning.

It takes a lot more than just 2 days of classroom and parking lot practice to be ready to ride on the street.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 29th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

I tell people who pass the BRC that they are now qualified to ride in any parking lot they wish.

Practice makes perfect, and to keep practicing, especially low speed maneuvers, like the box for instance, and panic/quick stops.

For the 2017 season I will be teaching at WKU in Bowling Green, Ky.

http://www.wku.edu/cpd/enrichment/motorcycle.php

ZX-2R BLOG

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 29th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #6
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'm starting to think it's waaay passed time for me to take a more advanced course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Side note: I received an email from the KMP which heads up the RiderCoach program in Kentucky, here's an excerpt from the email

"This happens to be the year when the entire rider education program is rebid by the state."
This may interest you. In CA, the program was rebid because the Highway Patrol updated some regulations on what they needed to teach and not teach. MSF didn't agree with the Highway Patrol, so another company got the contact. This was a few years ago, just as I was getting my BRC finished. If I'd signed up in another month, I'd have gotten the new course curriculum from a different company than MSF. I remember my instructor being really upset at the new situation because he believed the new course materials were inferior.

Little OT, but I don't think that'll change his class to much, just the test. He went over a lot of things that I've heard people say the BRC doesn't cover and he really knows his stuff. He even had some gear that had been cut in half with a bandsaw to show the insides. Really cool guy. If any newbies are in the area and happen to be reading this post, here's the link to the site:

http://www.mti-redbluff.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Having watched my daughter, my two sons, and a good friends wife learn to ride in the last 15 months, and taking the course myself, I whole heartedly agree with that article.

After each of them passed the Virginia version of the MSF course I (or my friend) spent quite a bit of time riding around in parking lots and on side streets early in the morning.

It takes a lot more than just 2 days of classroom and parking lot practice to be ready to ride on the street.
Agreed. I rode my bike in neighborhood streets for a few months before I went anywhere faster. I don't remember how many miles I put on at 25ish mph, but it was a lot.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #7
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

In my area, there is a basic MSF course, then there is an advanced, street course. The basic involves what the writer (great article btw, very funny) described- I don't think you even need a drivers license to take it... but the advanced course requires at the minimum: A motorcycle permit, your own bike, your own gear and insurance. You go out on the road, you learn (supposedly, I havent taken it) advanced riding techniques- this is what I'm curious about. I want to take this course for multiple reasons. First, I'm new to riding- but i'm not so new that I need to learn how to operate the controls or do low speed figure 8s. I want to know how to split the curb and the latte powered SUV who is trying to run me off the road. I want to not tense up and slow down every time I come to an intersection because I'm afraid someones gonna pull out on me or run a red light. White knuckling isn't the way to go, I know this... anyway- I guess I'll take the course. Can't hurt-
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2016, 07:16 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Taking the BRC2 and ARC is a good idea for anyone.

Riding is a skill, and like any other skill, you need to practice, and keep learning.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old November 29th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I'm starting to think it's waaay passed time for me to take a more advanced course

This may interest you. In CA, the program was rebid because the Highway Patrol updated some regulations on what they needed to teach and not teach. MSF didn't agree with the Highway Patrol, so another company got the contact. This was a few years ago, just as I was getting my BRC finished. If I'd signed up in another month, I'd have gotten the new course curriculum from a different company than MSF. I remember my instructor being really upset at the new situation because he believed the new course materials were inferior.

Little OT, but I don't think that'll change his class to much, just the test. He went over a lot of things that I've heard people say the BRC doesn't cover and he really knows his stuff. He even had some gear that had been cut in half with a bandsaw to show the insides. Really cool guy. If any newbies are in the area and happen to be reading this post, here's the link to the site:

http://www.mti-redbluff.com/
the California classes have been run by Lee Parks Total Control clinic. That guy knows his stuff. As soon as I was mentioning getting a bike, my uncle out in San Diego told me to take one of his clinics when I got the chance. He had himself in the past and was going on about how great it was. Now, I don't know the difference between his classes his group teaches out in Cali for the state but for his regular clinics you are expected to have at least 3,000 miles under your belt before going.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
the California classes have been run by Lee Parks Total Control clinic. That guy knows his stuff. As soon as I was mentioning getting a bike, my uncle out in San Diego told me to take one of his clinics when I got the chance. He had himself in the past and was going on about how great it was. Now, I don't know the difference between his classes his group teaches out in Cali for the state but for his regular clinics you are expected to have at least 3,000 miles under your belt before going.
I think that's an advanced or intermediate ridercourse.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote