ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 11th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #81
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Last night I got home from work, sat around for a bit, helped the GF make dinner, ran some errands in our car, and sat around for another couple of hours all before taking off my knee armor :P .

It's funny, the other day we were fighting a bit and she kicked me in the shin, and in my head I was kinda laughing because I was wearing knee armor :P . Another time my dog made me trip while we were running, but I didn't hurt myself again because of the knee armor.

I swear I'm never taking these babies off :P .

Old February 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #82
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Congrats on her passing. here you drop the bike once at any time weither it be learning or test you fail. They say if you can't hold up the bike or ride it properly, you shouldn't be riding to begin with.

At any rate i highly suggest the knee pads.

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #83
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Heh, that's pretty harsh! Not that I necessarily disagree, but perhaps the courses have different learning goals. In the MSF course, as long as you pass the actual test portions without falling and within their required speeds (they use stopwatches to verify), it doesn't matter what happens while you are practicing. But, the course really is geared toward people whose only 2-wheeled experience is on a bicycle, so they'd have to be allow for some error. And hell, she hasn't gone down once since taking it and has improved 100% since before the course, so I'd say they did their job for sure!

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:54 AM   #84
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Name: vibhor

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r -2010

Planning to buy either :

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/offroa...dult/56065.php

or

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...ult/101201.php

please advice..
vkuchhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM   #85
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

The FIELDSHEER looks to give better protection between the two...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM   #86
actionace
MotoGP Junkie

Name: Ace

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

vkuchal - sorry I can't really help you since I haven't tried either. The FS Armadillo looks pretty hefty while the . Guess you'll have to give them a try and post your opinions

I did order up a pair of the Alpinstars knee & elbow guards. I found the knee guards to be HUGE and the velcro strap starts getting messed up even after the 1st try, . Gave the knee guards to a friend who is much bigger & taller. Like the elbow guards though (real stylish) and use them when I rollerblade with the dog

Settled on a pair of Knox Crossguard knees (short style). These fit very well under all my jeans (I wear normal fitting straight leg, not loose). So far they've been pretty comfortable but the strap does sometimes work its way under the knee. Haven't worn it for extended periods of time but another friend bought the long style and wears them all day.
actionace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:28 AM   #87
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Here's some incentive for wearing knee pads. Nothing too gruesome but at 1:00 you can clearly see why.

Link to original page on YouTube.

dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #88
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Here's some incentive for wearing knee pads.
Seems like it's even more incentive to not hammer the front brake while already tipping into a corner. Did folks see how much the forks flexxed and the bike stood up right before it immediately lost traction and headed into the guardrail?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #89
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Seems like it's even more incentive to not hammer the front brake while already tipping into a corner. Did folks see how much the forks flexxed and the bike stood up right before it immediately lost traction and headed into the guardrail?
Yep. The inverted design on Buell's must be pretty touchy.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM   #90
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

I am wearing ForceField's Tube Knee Guard.

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #91
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

I am still a bit more confused over the Fieldsheer ARMADILLO PROTECTIVE KNEE ARMOR and the Icon field armor leg protector.. On which is better. ??

I am 5'9" tall , weighing 170 pounds and have strong calf muscles..

So not sure on which one should i order, Size and brand(Small, medium, large, Xtra large etc..). Since we do not get these in India, their is no way i can wear them out and check the sizing..

One more question.. Can both of these be worn above and below the trousers or jeans depending on the requirement..

please help..

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #92
onizthegnome
certified newbie

Name: oniz

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuchhal View Post
I am still a bit more confused over the Fieldsheer ARMADILLO PROTECTIVE KNEE ARMOR and the Icon field armor leg protector.. On which is better. ??

So not sure on which one should i order, Size and brand(Small, medium, large, Xtra large etc..). Since we do not get these in India, their is no way i can wear them out and check the sizing..

One more question.. Can both of these be worn above and below the trousers or jeans depending on the requirement..

please help..
i usually wear them inside my pants. i only wear them over the pants if im wearing those really slim fitting jeans. just depends on how baggy your pants are. i belive the icon field armor leg protectors come in one size only but i am 5'11", 160lb and have well built calves too so i am sure they will fit your legs.

Old March 29th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #93
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:

please help..
I wear the Icon field armor and am about your height and weight - they are a good fit. They only come in one size - the adjustability comes with the straps. They fit fine inside or outside pant. I usually wear mine inside my trousers to be a bit more stealth, but I've done both.

My only issue with the Icons is that while perfect on the bike, they slip a bit when I'm doing any significant walking with them -- my legs are a bit skinny. You sound like you might be a perfect fit and avoid this issue. I also live in a tropical climate and you sweat a bit in them, but I suspect that is going to be the case with any decent protection.

I would recommend you also consider the Forcefield Limb Tube knee armor. They look really solid, too.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #94
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onizthegnome View Post
i usually wear them inside my pants. i only wear them over the pants if im wearing those really slim fitting jeans. just depends on how baggy your pants are. i belive the icon field armor leg protectors come in one size only but i am 5'11", 160lb and have well built calves too so i am sure they will fit your legs.
Thanks for writing in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I wear the Icon field armor and am about your height and weight - they are a good fit. They only come in one size - the adjustability comes with the straps. They fit fine inside or outside pant. I usually wear mine inside my trousers to be a bit more stealth, but I've done both.

My only issue with the Icons is that while perfect on the bike, they slip a bit when I'm doing any significant walking with them -- my legs are a bit skinny. You sound like you might be a perfect fit and avoid this issue. I also live in a tropical climate and you sweat a bit in them, but I suspect that is going to be the case with any decent protection.

I would recommend you also consider the Forcefield Limb Tube knee armor. They look really solid, too.
I live in India and sourcing items from US is a bit difficult for me..
I found a site.. Ridersdiscount which ship products to India without much of the hassle and is also cheap. The forcefield ones are not present on that site... so will have to adjust with either the fieldsheer or the Icon ones..

So going by the verdict given by you all... will go for the Icon one.. as i think non of people in the forum have tried the fieldsheer ones.

Thanks

Old March 30th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #95
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

I have the AlpineStars Boinic Knee Guards and they are very good.

http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_MX.../p/650633.html

They tend to slip a bit while walking (i wear them a wee bit loose) but on the bike, they are very comfy and have a robust sturdy feel.

@VK - go with Icon. They are pretty good too. If these carry CE approval / certification, much better.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #96
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have the AlpineStars Boinic Knee Guards and they are very good.

http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_MX.../p/650633.html

They tend to slip a bit while walking (i wear them a wee bit loose) but on the bike, they are very comfy and have a robust sturdy feel.

@VK - go with Icon. They are pretty good too. If these carry CE approval / certification, much better.

Thanks Adi...

Will book the Icon one today after the cricket match..

Old April 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #97
actionace
MotoGP Junkie

Name: Ace

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Testimony to wearing the armor:

So my buddy ended up low siding around a slow 20mph corner the other weekend while we were out on a ride.

He was wearing his Knox full length knee guards, Knox elbow guards, and Knox Aegis back protector under his jeans, leather Guess jacket, and dress-casual leather shoes. Good thing too 'cause as you can imagine, jeans & fashion leather don't hold up very well. The armor did a good job but as his leg was trapped under the bike, the knee armor ended up shifting a bit and he received some road rash. Lucky for him it wasn't too bad as he was able to ride his bike home after we pushed it up the side of the hill.

He's been limping around but luckily the damage is just superficial like his bike. The armor is still good and hopefully he learns to wear more of the proper gear
actionace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #98
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
My only issue with the Icons is that while perfect on the bike, they slip a bit when I'm doing any significant walking with them -- my legs are a bit skinny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

I found that too (for my Icon's). A trip to Wal-mart to buy some $12 athletic compression pants took care of that problem really quickly. Now my knee armor doesn't move at all and stays in place perfectly. And, it'll be easier to wash/clean the pants than it will be to wash/clean the insides of the knee armor.

Old May 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #99
darkfyre
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dylan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
I found that too (for my Icon's). A trip to Wal-mart to buy some $12 athletic compression pants took care of that problem really quickly. Now my knee armor doesn't move at all and stays in place perfectly. And, it'll be easier to wash/clean the pants than it will be to wash/clean the insides of the knee armor.
I don't understand how this works. Do the straps stick better to the compression pants? Do you wear them over the armor to hold it in place?
darkfyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #100
onizthegnome
certified newbie

no you wear the compression pants, then the armor over it, then regular pants over everything. i wear my long johns under the knee armor and it helps keep the armor from sliding down.

Old May 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #101
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
I am wearing ForceField's Tube Knee Guard.
I dont get forcefeild, it looks like... cloth? Is there actual hard plastics in it??
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #102
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

Iv got the Icon knee armor but in the georgia heat they are too much. I agree with Blackwidow on this one. The pants are much better with the ce armor. Sartso jeans are nice, I need to get a pair.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #103
onizthegnome
certified newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
I dont get forcefield, it looks like... cloth? Is there actual hard plastics in it??
it might be cloth but its got +250 nature resist

Old May 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #104
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onizthegnome View Post
it might be cloth but its got +250 nature resist
What does that mean? Lol. Sorry, im a noob.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #105
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I just wanted to point out that my GF took the MSF course a few weekends ago. At 5'0", even the little TU-250s looked like the Bat Bike with her sitting on it :P . Thus, she had a little trouble keeping it upright, both due to her size and what turned out to be an inability to naturaly reach the controls (don't know why she wasn't telling them she had to slide / rotate her palm forward on the the grip to reach the front brake...). She passed, having dropped the bike five times during the skills sections, but kept going after each one (even picked the bike up herself a couple times), and they told me she was about the toughest student they'd ever had .

Long story short, she ended up with both knees quite bruised, with a few small skinned areas, and in pain for a week. She doesn't have any pants that will fit her knew knee pads underneath, but at this point she is perfectly happy accepting a little goofiness by wearing the armor on the outside, if it means she won't bang up her knees if she falls again while practicing. :P

On that note, another friend went down recently in a lowside, and was again all fine except his knees, which were rashed up a bit and very sore. He is also looking into kneepads at the moment.

I've always worn my knee armor, even when just practicing in parking lots. I wear them when I ride to school, and sit all through class with them under my pants. I've gone down PLENTY on dirt (it only took once to never forget my knee pads again), as well as on street bicycles, and know how even this can leave your knees sore and you limping for a week. I've also seen how un-fun a fractured knee-cap is. So, I have already had my lessons on protecting your knees .

Does anyone else consistently wear them (not just when at the track or when out racing around)?
I ALWAYS ride with Bohn Bodyguard Adventure Pants under my First Gear riding pants. No exceptions !
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #106
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
not CE approved?????
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #107
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just got these on ebay for $13, and they are great under my jeans and Oxtar boots.
Currently looking for knee/elbow pads and i feel this thread should be revived as it has managed to get a few pages through. Can anyone tell me wich brand these are? i just cant tell myself. (go to post66 for the pics)

I'm currently looking at
http://www.knoxarmorusa.com/Knox-Cross-Max-Black.html
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fly-Race...60718332694%26

Anything new you guys could recommend?
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #108
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Funny, but what I love about this site is the emphases on gear and riding safety. Ya, I've been ride'n 40+ years, I can learn. I mostly wear helmet, good gloves, boots, armor jacket, but I skimp on the pants. With peps constantly yap'n about leg protection, I'm think'n I might need to look into it. Yes I'm slow, but 1,000,000 peps pound'n me and it'll sink in finely .

Old September 26th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #109
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

When I was new to ridding, I thought I would do all my rides with knee pads, and now after 2years I have no idea where they are in my house. Save your money and get good ridding paints with pads, and you'll be glad you did in the long run.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #110
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Plan on it but they are insanely expensive..my work pants alone are 80bucks then add 100+ on top of that for riding pants..so expensive!
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #111
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
Funny, but what I love about this site is the emphases on gear and riding safety.
I just love it for the cat memes.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote