ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Survival reactions?

Survival reactions come from our instinct to avoid injury but often cause the opposite. Keith lists 7 survival reactions in Twist of the Wrist II:

1. rolling off the gas
2. Tighten on the bars
3. Narrowed and frantically hunting field of view
4. fixed attention (on something)
5. Steering in the direction of the fixed attention
6. No steering (frozen) or ineffective (not quick enough or too early) steering
7. Braking errors (both over-and under-braking)

What would you say is YOUR most common survival reaction? What one do you find crops up often and what are you doing to try to reduce or eliminate it?

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250(sold) 2000 Ninja 250 (sold) 2012 Ninja 250r 2020 Harley Sportster (rarely ridden)

Ah I love that book. It helped me alot when I was taking my R6 to the track.

My biggest reaction was rolling off the throttle. It was easy to fix though. I put masking tape over the speedo. I started going with the flow of traffic on the track and focused less on the entry speeds.
Animal78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

mine will be chopping gas tighten on the bars i am now focusing on good line choices.i have watched the video over and over and i learn something every time,love that video!!

Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #4
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Yup, rolling off the throttle is about my only consistent problem. I have just been trying to get better at more accurately judging proper entrance speeds so I don't have to worry about it.

It's funny how on a bike all the obvious, instinctive things to do are the absolute worst things you can do in a tense situation :P .

When you feel you are going too fast in a turn, you have to... look AWAY from the thing that you're about to hit (wtf, right?), give it more gas (wtf, right?), and torque to the bars toward the object you are about to hit (wtf, right?).

Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM   #5
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
lol, when you put it that way J, I guess us riders are just a bit backwards... I mean, we do chase speed when the most self-preserving thing to do is to NOT chase speed... LOL. I think you just created a new blog topic for me....

Anyways, Misti, I have yet to read that book (it's on the pile, I'm just moving slow... ), but from that list, I suffer from all those at times. I guess most of the time I'm steering towards the object of target fixation, because I like to rubber neck and take my time looking at something...

I also found out, after riding in the snow the other day, that I have a bad habit of chopping the throttle. Practice later in a parking lot got me over that slightly. But that's kind of an off-example, so never mind on that one....

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

1 and 7 are issues for me. Especially 7 but I think braking in general is something I need to work on. I typically can stay decently calm in an emergency. Guess when I start riding everyday again I will practice my braking more. I don't ride as aggressive as I used to so rolling off the throttle isn't a big issue at the moment until I build my confidence back.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250(sold) 2000 Ninja 250 (sold) 2012 Ninja 250r 2020 Harley Sportster (rarely ridden)

Watch out on chopping the throttle. That's different from rolling off it. Remember Smooth=Fast.

Sudden reactions rarely end well.

Old February 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #8
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

out of those I'd say I over brake sometimes and then have to accelerate into the corner

Old February 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #9
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Sometimes I have to remind myself to relax, but I have to do that in everyday life, not just on my bike! I keep myself conscious of keeping as loose as possible on the bars in every situation, but at times I find myself more tense than I should be. It's an easy problem to solve once you realize you're doing it! The realizing it part is the toughest!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #10
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I've been trying to practice good survival reaction habits. Under the theory that you do what is habitual when your brain doesn't have time to process an emergency, and that straight line hard braking is the right thing to do in most survival situations on the road (or at least has the fewest downsides), I do a 30 to zero maximum effort brake every time I get to my driveway returning from a ride.

That really helps me with 1, 2 and 7. But it locks me into 6, which I'm okay with as a tradeoff for a street emergency situation. I tend to think that swerving as an avoidance technique is a dangerous first option in most cases, and that braking is a better habit to practice.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #11
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Number 7 for me. I practice threshold braking at what I think is the typical speed, 35-40, where most accidents happen, in an intersection. All well and good; however, what scares me is the thought of not practicing stops at freeway speeds.

I have never had to brake really hard at 75mph. I am afraid that I might just jam on the brakes like a beginner in that situation. It is difficult to find a place to practice at those speeds without going to a track. This aspect is just a big mystery to me when I ride on the highway. Not good.

Last futzed with by JeffM; February 13th, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Animal78
ninjette.org member

You never know. I have been in that situation on the freeway doing about 70mph when a major accident happened right in front of me and the group of riders I was with. You really can only do so much. You have to be as defensive as possible watching, scanning the roadway constantly. Always looking for a way out. All but 2 of us were able to get out of the way unscathed. My buddy put his helmet and hands thru the back window of a car and another (this is where it got scary) ran over a woman in the road.

It's a much longer story involving some shady people who were drunk and chasing someone who stole their car carrying handguns etc.

I unforunately have way too many stories of things like this. Although I still have many more that were good times and lot's of fun. That's why I still ride!

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #13
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

I am guilty of 2, 6, and 7. But if I am calm and collected I minimize those reactions.

Old February 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Misti
ninjette.org sage

A popular answer here seems to be that most of you struggle with survival reaction #1 (rolling off the gas) and #7 (braking errors). The first step to fixing these problems is awareness (so knowing that you make the mistake in the first place is half the battle) and the second is figuring out the ROOT cause.

What would you guys say is the root cause or the reason why you roll off the gas or slow down too much (or brake mid turn)?

Misti

Old February 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #15
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

For me, I would have to say not trusting the bike's and my ability to take a turn at a speed that I don't feel comfortable with even though the bike far surpasses my own ability.

I am currently trying to teach myself to trust my bike rather than letting my survival skills control me and possibly cause me to lose control.

It is hard to do.

Old February 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #16
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Don't want to lowside. I don't know why I myself worries about that having highsided twice and lowsided once. Knowing that a highside crash is much worse! The bike landed on me once. Whoops.

I always come in too slow. Then power out about midway. Which usually results in pissed off people behind me on a track atleast cause even at my slowest on the street cars can't follow.

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #17
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
A popular answer here seems to be that most of you struggle with survival reaction #1 (rolling off the gas) and #7 (braking errors). The first step to fixing these problems is awareness (so knowing that you make the mistake in the first place is half the battle) and the second is figuring out the ROOT cause.

What would you guys say is the root cause or the reason why you roll off the gas or slow down too much (or brake mid turn)?

Misti
It is fear. I think I may speak for all of us when I say that. No matter how we call it, we are afraid of something which might happen, or something which has happened before. Don't know how to fight it. On the street that is.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #18
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Misti

Mine is mostly getting used to the 250 in places where I'm used to a 1000. I'm improving

It's odd... there are places where I'm used to strong braking but on this bike I don't have to brake or need very little braking yet I feel the "need" to poke at the brake before I enter the corner. I laugh at myself sometimes.

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
It is fear. I think I may speak for all of us when I say that. No matter how we call it, we are afraid of something which might happen, or something which has happened before. Don't know how to fight it. On the street that is.
Yes I think you have nailed it here when you say that some kind of FEAR causes the survival reactions to kick in. Without that feeling of fear we wouldn't have that initial reaction to chop the throttle or over brake for a corner.

Fear usually stems from your perception of speed which then kicks in other fears, fear that you won't be able to turn the bike quickly enough or get through the corner or fear that your tires won't stick or that you will crash. How can you alter or change your perception of speed so that these fears don't kick in in the first place?

Misti

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #20
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

good throttle control?

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #21
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Yes I think you have nailed it here when you say that some kind of FEAR causes the survival reactions to kick in. Without that feeling of fear we wouldn't have that initial reaction to chop the throttle or over brake for a corner.

Fear usually stems from your perception of speed which then kicks in other fears, fear that you won't be able to turn the bike quickly enough or get through the corner or fear that your tires won't stick or that you will crash. How can you alter or change your perception of speed so that these fears don't kick in in the first place?

Misti
Looking through turns and keeping your vision up and out to where your are going reduces the perception of speed.

Old February 11th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #22
Havok
Internet Slut

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Brakeing for me. I tend to get on the front harder then I should.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #23
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Looking through turns and keeping your vision up and out to where your are going reduces the perception of speed.
Absolutely. Whenever I am struggling with over braking or feel like I am entering into a corner too slow I look to my visual skills to see where I am going wrong. When my visual skills aren't perfect then it feels as if I am going faster than I really am and my fear kicks in. When I have good visual skills and am able to keep my vision up and looking through the turns nice and early then my perception of speed goes down and I don't feel as scared going faster in that corner.

Are there ways to practice improving your visual skills? How do you ensure that you are looking far enough up the road or track?

Misti

Old February 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #24
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Are there ways to practice improving your visual skills? How do you ensure that you are looking far enough up the road or track?
I find myself practicing looking through corners in the family car, too. Looking through the corner is one of the first things they teach you, not only in MSF, but also if you take a car control class. (Those are super fun, btw. Fewer consequences for losing control than in the bike courses. ) That way, I'm always looking through the corner, and build the habit.

Great comment on poor visual skills being precursor to fear, Misti. Hadn't made that connection in my riding, but it is totally true now that I think about it.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #25
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Are there ways to practice improving your visual skills? How do you ensure that you are looking far enough up the road or track?Misti
I practice using my peripheral vision.

Having good peripheral vision allows you to look way up the road and not be as worried about what is immediately around you.

I try to pick my vision up early when going around a corner - Spot my apex (and road irregularities) in advance and use peripheral vision to see the apex as I look up the road.

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #26
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Yeah they say to remember to keep scanning the track. You don't want to devlope tunnel or fixed vision. It will basically lock you up. I constantly scan the roadway always making sure I have a out if things get hairy also moving my field of view further down the road or track. Just being proactive and remembering you have control of the bike and thus the outcome makes for a huge improvement. Almost every bike on the road can do more than you are physically and mentally able to. I don't ever worry about the what if the bike can't do it. You have to focus on where you want to be and trust the bike to get you there. If you question the machine you will never get far. Provided it's in good working order.

Old February 17th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #27
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I find myself practicing looking through corners in the family car, too. Looking through the corner is one of the first things they teach you, not only in MSF, but also if you take a car control class. (Those are super fun, btw. Fewer consequences for losing control than in the bike courses. ) That way, I'm always looking through the corner, and build the habit.

Great comment on poor visual skills being precursor to fear, Misti. Hadn't made that connection in my riding, but it is totally true now that I think about it.
For sure, you can practice when driving your car or riding a bicycle or even walking down the street. When I first started driving I had a great instructor that used to randomly quiz me on what was going on around me. He would say things like, "what color is the car behind you, how many people are waiting to cross the street, where is the guy on the bike?" He taught me to keep my vision open wide and to see what was going on around me without frantically searching around or getting stuck on specific things. It is the same concept that is taught at the Superbike School and the more you can practice it in a variety of situations the better your visual skills will get.

Glad that the comment about poor visual skills resonated with you and your own riding. Improving your visual skills can help prevent that feeling of fear or that feeling of too much speed from cropping up in the first place and THAT can prevent sudden survival reactions from kicking in

Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I practice using my peripheral vision.

Having good peripheral vision allows you to look way up the road and not be as worried about what is immediately around you.

I try to pick my vision up early when going around a corner - Spot my apex (and road irregularities) in advance and use peripheral vision to see the apex as I look up the road.
Yes, good point. You want to be able to spot where (exactly) you want to go and look at it (so you go there) while also being able to see what is around you. We call it wide vision at the Superbike School and Keith often tells his students it is like "Pulling the curtains open WIDE so that you can see more of the road/track."

Misti