ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #1
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

ROK membership

I picked up a ROK (Riders of Kawasaki) membership form today and as I looked through it, it had many of the same benefits as my AMA membership. Anyone here belong to ROK and can compare to other forms of riders clubs like the AMA?

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

I guess it's no good?

Seems like no one belongs to R O K?? No opinions?

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
Seems like no one belongs to R O K?? No opinions?
Oh, I didn't see the thread yesterday. Yah, I got ROK, haven't used it yet nor do I know anything about the AMA one, so I can't really give you a good comparison. I think either way you go you'll be better than if you didn't have either one.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #4
wardie
ninjette.org guru

thanks

Appreciate the response anyone else?

Mid Ohio has Kawasaki as the marque in 2011. It would've been great to have the membership then and grab a few freebies. I like the idea of being able to be first when taking demo rides.

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #5
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

So, what's good about ROK or AMA, and why should I join? (Money out of my poor wallet every year...)
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #6
matha028
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R red/black SE <-- totalled now '11 650r BLACK

ROK is only $29 a year. It has free towing/roadside assistance. Also exclusive member benefits. Around bike week time they should have a member party. Or in the past they have.

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #7
saxnbass

$29 a year? That's easy do, where do I pick up an application?

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #8
matha028
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R red/black SE <-- totalled now '11 650r BLACK

Kawasaki.com

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #9
matha028
ninjette.org guru

U can join there, and they will send u all ur stuff

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
So, what's good about ROK or AMA, and why should I join? (Money out of my poor wallet every year...)
ROK has 2 different membership programs and it's pocket change really:

Full Premium Membership

Program cost: $29.95 USD
Program Description: Personalized membership Card, ROK Club Clothing Patch, ROK Club Decal, ROK Road Atlas, ROK Web access, Online Accelerated Club Magazine Subscription, V.I.P. treatment to select national events, Promo packages to races and events, 24-hours roadside assistance, Trip Routing Service, Travel Discounts, and Skills Class Rebate.

Associate Premium Membership

To qualify as an associate member you must be affiliated with an Active Full Premium Member
Program cost: $15.00 USD
Program Description: Personalized membership Card, ROK Club Clothing Patch, ROK Club Decal, ROK Road Atlas, ROK Web access, Online Accelerated Club Magazine Subscription, V.I.P. treatment to select national events, Promo packages to races and events, 24-hours roadside assistance, Trip Routing Service, Travel Discounts, and Skills Class Rebate.

They also have an affiliate club membership:

Affiliate Club Membership (same perks as Full Premium Membership)

Enter ROK Code and select Validate below to see your savings
ROK Code:

Think of it like having AAA for your bike. With either one you can call them and get roadside help from trusted local sources. Also at any bike show that ROK is at (which is basically any show that Kawasaki is at) they have a membership tent with small snacks, drinks and tables to sit at and just relax for a little bit. Plus they have small freeby's, like I got a stainless steel drinking container that I use constantly lol.

Hope some of this info is helpful.

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #11
matha028
ninjette.org guru

AMA is only $39

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #12
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Oooh. The UK has a very similar thing too: the Kawasaki Riders Club. Costs Ł20 and has loads of benefits. I think I'll sign up to this. You get a free visor cleaning kit (which I definitely need: bug splat ) worth Ł10 (15.83$), so I'm basically paying Ł10 for the membership.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #13
wardie
ninjette.org guru

AMA membership

Like it or not they speak for motorcyclists on Capital Hill. Our membership dues goes towards paying for lobbyists who fight all kinds of hate against motorcyclists. All good.

I think there's room for ROK even though towing overlaps... free atlas and first in demo line plus if Kawasaki hosting a meet somewhere their will be freebies for club members... all good on both.

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #14
saxnbass

So I'm officially part of ROK now. Any reason to do AMA as well?

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #15
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
So I'm officially part of ROK now. Any reason to do AMA as well?
Yes, there is actually:

Quote:
Like it or not they speak for motorcyclists on Capital Hill. Our membership dues goes towards paying for lobbyists who fight all kinds of hate against motorcyclists. All good.
AMA is the largest group we motorcyclists have fighting for our rights. In many places around the states, motorcyclists are treated as sub-human. You can find threads on here and numerous articles on the web showcasing how unjust the system is. This is shown by numerous cases of motorcyclists being killed by a cager who "didn't see them" and the cager getting nothing more than a small fine/ticket, and in some cases virtually nothing, as if they had hit an animal. AMA is needed in the states to keep our freedom and justice on 2-wheels, and unfortunately that takes money to do.

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just joined ROK!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #17
mariorivera830
MoVal's only ninjette :(

Name: Mario

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE Black with a dash of yellow

ROK (Riders of Kawasaki)

No one seems to have posted about this in awhile, so I thought I would ask.
Has anyone that has a membership to ROK had to use it at anytime?

Apparently I ran something over yesterday morning on the way to work. When I got off 14 hours later, my back tire was flat. I tried to air it up at the ampm and when it started to actually fill up I saw the piece of metal (small, about the size of a pencil lead) coming out from the center meaty part of the tire. It was real loose in there and the air pushed it out, leaving a steady stream of air coming out. I parked it back at work and hitched a ride home from a coworker.

Turns out I don't have roadside assistance for anything other than my Armada, and after a few quick searches for motorcycle roadside assistance, AAA got cut off quick and it left me with Progressive (my insurance carrier), AMA and ROK. I like the cost of ROK, plus I like free stuff.

Any suggestions?

Also, is it safe to plug the tire and ride on it? I want to get the tires swapped anyway but without the extra cost of towing it without the roadside assistance.

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #18
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i would plug and ride home carefully, then replace the tire on my own time.

if you have a reliable friend with a truck, buy a good ramp, and retain his services with an offer of beer.

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

I've had to call ROK for roadside assistance like 3 or 4 times in the past year alone. Each time to get my bike, or my brother's bike (a Honda mind you...) towed home. I didn't have to pay a dime any of the 4 times. I just tipped the driver. I definitely have gotten my $29 worth out of ROK.

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #21
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

i think i'll sign up after a few paychecks

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #22
mariorivera830

Thanks Scattcatt. Unless I hear of any cons in the next day or two or I hear of something better, I'm all in for ROK. Thanks again.

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #23
saxnbass

Can I renew my ROK and continue getting the benefits, like roadside assistance, for my Honda?

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #24
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorivera830 View Post
No one seems to have posted about this in awhile, so I thought I would ask.
Has anyone that has a membership to ROK had to use it at anytime?

Apparently I ran something over yesterday morning on the way to work. When I got off 14 hours later, my back tire was flat. I tried to air it up at the ampm and when it started to actually fill up I saw the piece of metal (small, about the size of a pencil lead) coming out from the center meaty part of the tire. It was real loose in there and the air pushed it out, leaving a steady stream of air coming out. I parked it back at work and hitched a ride home from a coworker.

Turns out I don't have roadside assistance for anything other than my Armada, and after a few quick searches for motorcycle roadside assistance, AAA got cut off quick and it left me with Progressive (my insurance carrier), AMA and ROK. I like the cost of ROK, plus I like free stuff.

Any suggestions?

Also, is it safe to plug the tire and ride on it? I want to get the tires swapped anyway but without the extra cost of towing it without the roadside assistance.
A mushroom plug should hold for the remaining tyre lifespan, I've seen lads on blades R1s ect plug the rear tyre & keep it. They're none too keen about plugging the front tho.

As you said it's in the meaty part in the middle of the rear tyre, you won't find a better spot to plug.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #25
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
A mushroom plug should hold for the remaining tyre lifespan, I've seen lads on blades R1s ect plug the rear tyre & keep it. They're none too keen about plugging the front tho.

As you said it's in the meaty part in the middle of the rear tyre, you won't find a better spot to plug.
perfect. that's what I'm gonna have to do until I get some extra cash. The tires are only about 8 months old and have about 6500 miles on them they're barely starting to square a bit. Thanks for your input.