Notices

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #1
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

MSF course tomorrow. tips? advice?

Hi there,
I should have posted this a while back but now that I'm less than 24 hours away from day 1 of a 3 day MSF course, I'm feeling a bit nervous and thought some last minute foraging for info might curb the butterflies in my gut.
I have been riding my 50cc scooter (1984 Honda spree) as a daily commuter for over 6 months now and have accumulated about 2800 scooter miles, so I think I have some of the basics of controlling a two-wheeled vehicle down (like counter steering, balance, throttle control, braking etc). My scooter, like most scooters, is an automatic and so I have zero experience with shifting on motorcycles, so that's one thing I am totally ignorant about and a bit worried over. I have been practicing a bit of shifting (neutral to first and back) on my Ninja (yes, I bought my ninja before learning how to ride, crazy I know ), but I'm still a virgin with manual transmissions and any tips and advice on proper clutch usage and shifting would be great.
For those who have gone through the MSF course, anything you guys might have on the class, the teachers, what to pay attention to, what NOT to do or wear or say, any helpful anecdotes or experiences.....anything at all, would be fabulous.
I've already decided not to go to class wearing my gear (yeah, I ride my scooter wearing a two piece leather suit, have two textile armored jackets, two full faced helmets...call me silly but it's still ATGATT on my 50cc!) and nor will I ride my scooty to class....I'm gonna keep a low profile and play the role of a total noob to assess my competition. I hear it can get a bit competitive out there, so my scooter experience is going to be the ace under my sleeve. (at least, I hope so)
I've said enough already...I'll appreciate any comment.
Thanks.
Oh!...and here's a pic of me and my first bi-wheeled love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 221020111270.jpg (117.0 KB, 21 views)
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to riding skills area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #3
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): None yet

The MSF course is not a competition. Its meant for people who have never ridden anything before. The tests are easy. Just have fun with it and dont think about it.

I took the course without ever being on any motorized 2 wheeled vehicle. I had a blast. Passed the written test with 100% and only got 1 point deducted on the riding test.

The people who failed were the ones who were nervous. They let their nerves get the best of them.

Have fun !!

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Get good rest, pay attention, make friends and have fun. I would recommend wearing your gear.

Best of luck.

P.S. you are the first person I've ever seen that goes ATGATT on a scooter. Good for you.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #5
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Well I didnt fail but I got points deducted off because I couldnt turn the handlebars far enough to do some maneuvers and so I ended up outside some of the lines.

I'm 6ft and rode a Honda Rebel. My knees were the same level as my hands were and kept getting in the way of the steering.

Back On-topic... Ride safe, ride happy, and have fun... All you need to know
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #6
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Thanks so much for the quick responses guys. I knew I was stressing over nothing. I'll try to have fun...which I'm sure I will.

I got two huge exams immediately following the MSF courses, so "getting a good night sleep" might be kinda tough, but I'll try to get as much rest as possible and if that doesn't work...I'll resort to the age old technique of cramming, that has yet to fail me
Thanks again.

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Have fun!
be open minded and learn all you can.
don't be cocky or overly hesitant.
make sure to take snacks with you. when I took my course it was 95 and I was so glad I took water and snacks. life saver.

also, use this as an opportunity to see how it feels to ride someone elses bike and have to adjust to it. It's a good skill to have to be able to hop on a new bike, test the brakes and clutch and throttle a couple times, and then go. Good skill with a car too.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #8
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Don't overthink it and don't overreact

In my MSF group, 2 people out of 8 washed out. One was a complete f-tard who you couldn't trust to ride a kids tricycle safely. The other one was a nice guy who unfortunately let his emotions get in a way. He was doing fine throughout the class but on the exam he got slightly upset b/c he failed the box. Then his emotions started running wild b/c he started failing the quick stop: both brakes on, shift down to 1st, stop on command. Instructor sent him for 2nd try, then 3rd at which point he dropped the bike and was told to repeat the class.
Keep your emotions in check and don't overthink it. I did my MSF having never ridden a motorcycle before. Trust the bike.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #9
EthioKnight
Super Noob

ok...snacks and fluids...check.
Like all of you have suggested, I will try not to be cocky (highly unlikely) and will try to be a sponge and absorb the indoctrination tomorrow. I've just finished skimming through the 'Rider Handbook' they sent me, pretty basic stuff, but I'm assuming that's where the theoretical test is going to come from...one more thing on my already large pile of 'to be studied' stuff, but at least this is more fun than the lymphatic system of the human body.
Thanks again for all the input.

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Ninja Chris
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black & Yellow Ninja 250

Everyone has pretty much nailed it.

1) Relax, learn, have fun!
2) Take your gear.
3) Get a good amount of rest/sleep.

I took my MSF course last year with no previous riding experience. Day one was kinda rough mostly because i was nervous... about everything. Once I got comfortable with the bike, allowed myself to relax and have fun, day two was an absolute blast!

The people in class who had the hardest time were the ones who were focused on how the other students were doing, or let their nerves get the better of them. I had great instructors who were patient, knowledgeable and great teachers. That really made the difference.
Ninja Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #11
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

MSF was a blast! I already had roughly 50 miles of parking lot and back road/neighborhood practice riding before I took it but a noob I was nonetheless. Clutch work and shifting for me are easy as heck, for other people it just seems like they just can't do it... maybe just the difference in peoples coordination abilities and such? Everyone in my msf did pretty well. You'll get the hang of it like nothing, don't be worried to go over the lines if you have to, or skip a cone or whatever, you're there to learn how to do it not to do perfect immediately, I practiced U-turns on my ninja in parking lots and got it down perfectly but it took me the whole day to get U-turns down decently on the little eliminator 125 I had, the only time I didn't go over the lines was on the test lol! Other things like swerving and slaloms and riding over pieces of wood they put in the course were just flat fun and good learning experience. As previously stated don't be competitive, everyone is there to learn and you may or may not be the best it doesn't matter its msf not a track day. Although I was competitive during my msf because everyone went so dang slow even when the instructors were like FASTER FASTER FASTER everyone would get backed up behind the slowest person lol, but just be patient.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #12
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Well I didnt fail but I got points deducted off because I couldnt turn the handlebars far enough to do some maneuvers and so I ended up outside some of the lines.
I'm 6ft and rode a Honda Rebel. My knees were the same level as my hands were and kept getting in the way of the steering.

Back On-topic... Ride safe, ride happy, and have fun... All you need to know
I just got my foot down once on the right uturn :[

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #13
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

I took my MSF course with 0 prior riding experience nor manual transmission experience. Stalled doing the box and put my foot down, but still passed. Don't sweat it. The course is designed for you to pass. Just remember how much nicer your ninja will feel after clunking around all day on the crappy MSF bikes
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #14
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

<<< Recent MSF Graduate (So Proud) lol

Best advice given to me, and to many others, is to simply have fun. Enjoy your day and try and relax. I think the scooter experience will give you a slight edge in the balance department, throttle control, and brake control.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

The best advice I can give that hasn't already been given is don't sweat the figure 8 box! It's only a small part of the riding test but people freak out about it. They take points off for going outside the box, and for putting your foot down, so whatever you do, don't do both! I would say concentrate on having good form through the turns, and if you happen to go outside the line, oh well. The only things that are big no-nos, if I remember correctly, is when you do the 'emergency stop' make sure you get down to first gear, and of course, don't dump the bike!

Big +1 to everyone saying just have fun. If you have reasonable coordination and awareness, you will do well. The bikes are light, the speeds are low, and you practice the hell out of everything you will be tested on. I honestly kind of miss weaving through cones and riding over 2x4s.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #16
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Don't be late! Seriously, depending on the rider coach, if you are late you may be forced to reschedule.
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #17
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

ATGATT even in your motorcycle class
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #18
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Thanks to all of you for chiming in. Today's class is an introductory one, not going to do much on the range, but I'll try my best take all of your advice to heart and have fun and enjoy the experience.
Again, thanks all!

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #19
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Passed!

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sweet and Gratz!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #21
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Thanks bro.
One thing that I'm deeply grateful for is to be a part of such a supportive group of riders, I probably wouldn't have had such a good and illuminating experience if it hadn't been for all the comments and advice I got. I thank you all.
I am determined to get on my ninja ASAP and practice, practice and practice. I had 2 points taken off in my final "box" test, because I run about a foot wide in my final turn ( I had executed the box maneuver perfectly every time during practice, but I guess being the very last in the class to be tested on it gave me some nerves) but all in all, it was great and FUN!
I'm probably going to sneak into the range with my bike one of these days and practice!...
Well, that's about it. Next step, take the DMV test and get my motorcycle license.
Thanks again all, I wouldn't have done it without your support.

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #22
EthioKnight
Super Noob

and here's the 250 Rebel I practiced and rode on during the course. I'll be missing her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121120111356.jpg (147.7 KB, 8 views)

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #23
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

wait you need to take the DMV test too?

after the MSF I took my cert. in and got my M1?
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #24
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

My MSF instructor told us the best place to practice "the box" manuvers is a cul-de-sac. Because the box is just to practice and grade u-turn capabilities. Cul-de-sac's provide an area where you can start with a little larger u-turn and practice decreasing the radius of the turn until you can do it within the confines of the standard road width.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #25
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
wait you need to take the DMV test too?

after the MSF I took my cert. in and got my M1?
In TX you also have to take a state written at the dmv. MSF paperwork just waives the riding portion.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #26
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynjay View Post
In TX you also have to take a state written at the dmv. MSF paperwork just waives the riding portion.
Ditto California. Not sure how Justin got around that.

Congrats EthioKnight!!

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #27
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

lol

I took it previously to get my permit, which then after the MSF course I just needed to turn in the cert. to get my license lol.

I forgot I took the picture though... I look like an arab terrorist in it.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #28
EthioKnight
Super Noob

cul-de-sac's huh? I might have to go on a quest to find one of those mythical creatures lol....haven't come across those in my city yet. and yeah, it's a bugger, but you gotta take a written test to get licensed, the MSF course is completely optional in my State (AL), a person with no prior experience on a bike can get licensed without having to take ANY practical course...go figure

Old November 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #29
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Congrats! Momma so proud... *tear*
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #30
EthioKnight
Super Noob

tnx!...wish my mom had the same mentality...I am really worried that one of these days she just might put something tasty in front of me and while I'm preoccupied, go out and sabotage my bike. Dad used to ride, Uncle still rides...but all my fam are being less than happy for me...I don't get it. I started on a 50cc, bought a closet full of gear, rode that for 6 months, took the MSF course, and am finally gonna ride my dream bike....how much more responsible can you get?
I guess you never mature in your parents/family's eyes. (or maybe, it's just with me and mine).

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #31
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I had 2 points taken off in my final "box" test, because I run about a foot wide in my final turn ( I had executed the box maneuver perfectly every time during practice, but I guess being the very last in the class to be tested on it gave me some nerves)
I'm willing to bet money that you failed to look through the turn. Don't ever underestimate how powerful a tool that is. Look where you want to go.

Congrats on passing.

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #32
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

DMV

When I got my motorcycle endorsement in FL, I just showed them my MSF certificate and that was it. Well almost. They made me give them my birth certificate, two bills or bank statements with my current address, passport, and some other junk I don't remember - plus pay them about $60.

All the extra stuff has to do with the new homeland security REAL ID act. I'm not sure if all states honor it, but Florida does.

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #33
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Ethioknight here are my tips;

A) Don't be first in the drills

B) Don't wheelie the bike you'll be expelled (pls. don't ask how I know)

C) Don't drop the bike you'll be expelled.

D) Wear proper gear; jacket, gloves, FF helmet, over the ankle boots and HD pants w/armour if possible.

E) Bring a rain suit you will be required to ride in all types of weather. (At least they are in Ohio)

Last futzed with by wardie; November 15th, 2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #34
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

dang congrats

Okay so I just ran through the posts so I could post never realizing we're past what tips to "CONGRATULATIONs!"

Okay now ride some, get experience then sign up for experienced rider class (ERC). Next level of progression. Always, always get better through practice, riding and classes (investing in yourself).

Last futzed with by wardie; November 15th, 2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling dang it
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #35
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Congratz!!!!
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
In KY, one would not expelled for dropping the bike (fail day 2 exam yes), unless your doing something unsafe and on purpose, heck I even seen a tiny wheelie during my MSF (new rider dumped the clutch) and she was not expelled.

Strange how the different states could have different rules for a course designed for success and targeted to someone who has never sat on a bike before.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #37
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

The glaring mistake I saw during my MSF that I would advise that new riders pay close attention to: Keep the forks straight ahead during panic stops. We did a LOT of them, and one guy high-sided. I saw the whole thing and I know exactly what he did. His forks weren't straight when he hit the front brake, and the next thing he knew, he was like a rock skipping across a pond. I felt bad for him, but he had been warned.

I think I was the oldest one in my class - 37, and am the only one that aced my written and riding exams. I felt pretty bad for a few of the girls. Clutches were a brand new concept to them, and they stalled way more than they rode. But....ya gotta learn it, or ride a scooter!
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #38
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
and here's the 250 Rebel I practiced and rode on during the course. I'll be missing her.
No you wont, those bikes a junk! lol a 50 cc scooter is better then a rebel 250
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #39
EthioKnight
Super Noob

lmao!...you caught me on that one Havok.lol.

Old November 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #40
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
lmao!...you caught me on that one Havok.lol.
Lol i had it worse i was on some pos suzi like a 125 or something.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote