ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Need Help Buying Nuts and Bolts

So I recently bought a ninja 250r off of my friend, he was careless and lost a lot of the nuts and bolts for the ninja, can you guys point me in the right direction to what bolts to buy? and what website to buy them off of for cheap?

The two nuts that connect those screws to the fairing

The bolt that connects the battery cover, he is also missing the bolts and nuts that connects the battery to the bike

these connect the side fairings to the frame of the bike

These connects the battery cover to the bike

Thanks sooooo much ahead of time, also, well i know about this before i bought the bike, but it has been laid down, when he was going 30-40, he went too fast into a turn while it was wet I think. The clutch lever is kind of bent, its not a huge issue, just wondering how much would it cost to replace the clutch lever?
Richardcheung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

http://www.(opposite-of-naughty)cycl...-Kit-s/343.htm

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Welcome, Richard.

www.ronayers.com for OEM replacements
They do not look structural, so you may be able to get away with nuts and bolts that fit from a hardware store.
$10 for a used clutch lever maybe double for new, non-dealer part.
ebay for kits from people parting out their bikes.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #4
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

Paypal me $10.00 and I'll send you a pack of various metric bolts and some 6mm nuts. They're philips head. I have tons of them leftover from TV installations. Send a PM.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
Paypal me $10.00 and I'll send you a pack of various metric bolts and some 6mm nuts. They're philips head. I have tons of them leftover from TV installations. Send a PM.
ummm, but would these fit on the ninja?

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The nuts that hold your tail fairings on are actually rubber wellnuts that rotted off, so it's not your friend's fault there. The bolt goes in the top (yours are upside-down) and the rubber expands as it threads through the captive brass nut... just like the two you see on your windscreen... which are the same size as the other 14 but have a different part number... and don't rot. Huh.

Time for a mini-rant: Shame on you, Kawasaki. You knew what was wrong with these and deliberately chose to sweep it under the rug. Did you buy millions of them before realizing the problem? "Out of sight, out of mind" makes it OK, huh? It'd be one thing if it was because you thought they'd be OK and that they only rot when exposed to the elements, but they rot on their own without any of that and you certainly know that by now (we knew within months of the bike launching). SHAME.

Anyway, back to your situation: The one that holds the battery box cover down is exactly like the two that hold the black plastic side covers or the two under the foam in the bottom of the battery box. The two on the bottom aren't needed at all. I have an aftermarket undertail with no place to screw them in anyway. Remove them and use them if you must. IIRC, they also hang the battery box. Edit: confirmed.

Buy 10+ of those wellnuts because you're going to need to replace the others as you encounter them.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 8th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The nuts that hold your tail fairings on are actually rubber wellnuts that rotted off, so it's not your friend's fault there. The bolt goes in the top (yours are upside-down) and the rubber expands as it threads through the captive brass nut, just like the two you see on your windscreen, which are the same size as the other 14 but have a different part number and don't rot (shame on you, Kawasaki. you knew and chose to sweep it under the rug. "out of sight, out of mind?").

The one that holds the battery box cover down is exactly like the two that hold the black plastic side covers or the two under the foam in the bottom of the battery box. The two on the bottom aren't needed at all. I have an aftermarket undertail with no place to screw them in anyway. Remove them and use them if you must. IIRC, they also hang the battery box.
Thanks soo much, umm what about the bolts that bolt the battery to the wiring, is it alright if i use any bold or should i stick to kawasaki bolts?

also i have dont some research myself, I want to replace the gear-shifter, whats the difference between the part 13242, and 13242A?

also, what about the third picture, what bolt connects that fairing to the frame?

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcheung View Post
Thanks soo much, umm what about the bolts that bolt the battery to the wiring, is it alright if i use any bold or should i stick to kawasaki bolts?

also i have dont some research myself, I want to replace the gear-shifter, whats the difference between the part 13242, and 13242A?

also, what about the third picture, what bolt connects that fairing to the frame?
I was still editing that post so you might want to re-read it.

Anyway, I looked and, yes, the two unneeded bolts under the battery box are the same as the ones that hang it, the same as the ones that secure the cover over it, and the same as the ones that hold the black side plastic covers on below the rider's seat. You can use any metric bolt that fits and is short enough.

As I recall, the tail fairing does not bolt on there. The black plastic side covers have a nipple that pushes through a rubber grommet in that hole. You are missing the rubber grommet/damper 92161-0588.

FWIW, don't buy Kawasaki rubber wellnuts. Buy generic ones (M5 size). Only Kawasaki's seem to rot.

VOTE FOR ME!

Edit: The difference betwwen those two part numbers is that 13242A is the shift pedal and 13242A it the piece on the other side of the connecting rod.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 8th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Old November 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #9
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

Quote:
ummm, but would these fit on the ninja?
Yes, Kawi uses common metric sizes, 4,5,6 & 8mm. I bought an '07 that had lots of bolts missing and replaced them with the philips head bolts I have. These are bolts designed to hold monitors over people's heads, good quality.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

I always contact the RNC for loose nuts.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #11
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...Set/web1007466

Old November 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #12
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I always buy my bolts from desmoparts.com.

They sell bolts, washers and wellnuts in various sizes. They also have different types of bolt heads depending on what your application is. You'll have to do the detective work on finding the correct size bolts.

Cheap parts, but shipping I think is a flat rate of $7.

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6boater View Post
I bought their larger set and every bolt was simply too large. Only use I got out of it was the plastic rivets.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 8th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #14
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I bought their larger set and every bolt was simply too large. Only use I got our of it was the plastic rivets.
Also, CZroe, do you know any good aftermarket cheap gear shifters?

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Also, CZroe, do you know any good aftermarket cheap gear shifters?
I don't, but the shift pedal of the E and F series (1985-2007) looks identical to the J-series except the color. I have an F-series one that's a little bent but should work great. It looks like it's supposed to be shaped like it is.

Also, that isn't the normal shroud around your tail light. It's normally black plastic on any color bike. Do you have a color matched undertail or a color-matched fender eliminator? If it's an aftermarket Sportisi undertail like mine then it probably doesn't have mounts below the battery box anymore and your friend probably already scrapped those bolts I had hoped you could salvage. I think Hotbodies retains most of your original black plastic undertail and simply covers it, so then they may still be there for you to salvage.

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #16
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't, but the shift pedal of the E and F series (1985-2007) looks identical to the J-series except the color. I have an F-series one that's a little bent but should work great. It looks like it's supposed to be shaped like it is.

Also, that isn't the normal shroud around your tail light. It's normally black plastic on any color bike. Do you have a color matched undertail or a color-matched fender eliminator? If it's an aftermarket Sportisi undertail like mine then it probably doesn't have mounts below the battery box anymore and your friend probably already scrapped those bolts I had hoped you could salvage. I think Hotbodies retains most of your original black plastic undertail and simply covers it, so then they may still be there for you to salvage.
Umm, my friend told me that he thought the fender was ugly so he just sawed it off, the license place is mounted directly to the bike. And the clutch isn't that bad, all it does is that it is a little bent so i might hold off on that.

also, would these side mounted leds fit on my 250? and would you recommend them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIKEMASTER-F...128bbf&vxp=mtr

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Umm, my friend told me that he thought the fender was ugly so he just sawed it off, the license place is mounted directly to the bike. And the clutch isn't that bad, all it does is that it is a little bent so i might hold off on that.

also, would these side mounted leds fit on my 250? and would you recommend them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIKEMASTER-F...128bbf&vxp=mtr
I think he did a bit more than saw it off because I can see right through the the ground behind the tail light (a fender chop would leave the fender base). Also, I can see that the original undertail is mostly intact because the tool kit still has a place to attach and it still has those protrusions directly behind the tail light. The question remains though: What is that red piece surrounding your tail light? Only thing I can think of is the Hotbodies fender eliminator kit but it doesn't come in red. Also, the part I see in your pic isn't included and, thus, would still be the original black. I'm very curious. Got a pic from behind? Does it look like he might have simply painted it to match?

I have some different Bike Master signals on mine. I don't know if those have the same base profile.

Old November 8th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I think he did a bit more than saw it off because I can see right through the the ground behind the tail light (a fender chop would leave the fender base). Also, I can see that the original undertail is mostly intact because the tool kit still has a place to attach and it still has those protrusions directly behind the tail light. The question remains though: What is that red piece surrounding your tail light? Only thing I can think of is the Hotbodies fender eliminator kit but it doesn't come in red. Also, the part I see in your pic isn't included and, thus, would still be the original black. I'm very curious. Got a pic from behind? Does it look like he might have simply painted it to match?

I have some different Bike Master signals on mine. I don't know if those have the same base profile.
this is that tail of the bike

this is the clutch lever, would you recommend replacing it?

I'm also missing a screw in front fairing, like you can see it under the handlebars

I'm also missing a screw that connects the seat to the fairings can you point me towards what screw that is

Old November 8th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

Quote:

this is the rear of the bike

I'm also missing the bolt that bolts the seat onto the fairing, can you point me towards that

and I'm missing the bolt under the handlebars in the front wheel cover

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

From my PMs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcheung
Hey, idk why, but it wont allow me to post on the forum without a moderator approving my post first, so i decided to just send you a private message.

This is what the behind of my bike looks like

I'm also missing the bolt that connects the seat to the fender

I'm also missing a bolt on the front wheel guard

also, would you recommend replacing this gear changer? it works fine atm but im afraid that it will hit the metal bar that is next to it
That's odd. It obviously let you post your other thread!

Anyway, I guess he painted that piece above your tail light because it looks stock in every other way.

I think the shift pedal will be fine. If you have a contact problem then you can bend it or position it higher/lower.

The missing bolt (92151-1654) and collar (92152-0422) on your front fender are the same as the ones that remain and the same as what secures the rider's seat. Neither are needed on the fender. In fact, the entire metal bracket it attaches to is not needed and racers often remove it to save weight. A lot of people remove the reflectors on the sides of the fender and the collars there are also the same. I say go ahead and remove the other bolt on top of the fender to use under the rear seat then replace the reflectors with those mini license plate reflectors to get another collar for the seat. The OEM bolt is M6x14, so any similar or shorter M6 should work.

I would suggest picking up a pack of eight red windscreen bolts with washers and rubber wellnuts. You'll need the rubber wellnuts anyway and any visible fairing bolt you replace with a red one will mean one more OEM bolt you have to use elsewhere (under the passenger seat, for example). Two of the four OEM windscreen bolts are slightly longer than the other two and will be tough to replace with these without reaching under the dash with the fairings off, but you'll likely need to replace those rubber wellnuts anyway so go ahead and take them off. I got the blue kit and used it on my blue EX250J, so I know they will work.

Oh, and your left handlebar looks a bit bent.

I'm going to post this in the thread too so we can all benefit from it and we can continue the conversation there.

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

yeah, is the bent handle bar a big deal? He told me that he did crash it before going 30-35 mph into a turn on a wet day.

hmmm. is it possible that the nut is still there like on the frame? for the missing bolt on the seat, because if i remember correctly, i remember seeing threads in the frame of the bike, i could be wrong though, and i cant really check because I live like an half an hour away from my friends house and its being stored there.

oh yeah, and what about the second damper in this picture?

the one near the bottom

oh yeah, and my friend is paying for all of the bolts and nuts, so i mean im probably going to buy all oem parts XD

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
yeah, is the bent handle bar a big deal? He told me that he did crash it before going 30-35 mph into a turn on a wet day.

hmmm. is it possible that the nut is still there like on the frame? for the missing bolt on the seat, because if i remember correctly, i remember seeing threads in the frame of the bike, i could be wrong though, and i cant really check because I live like an half an hour away from my friends house and its being stored there.

oh yeah, and what about the second damper in this picture?

the one near the bottom

oh yeah, and my friend is paying for all of the bolts and nuts, so i mean im probably going to buy all oem parts XD
Yeah, the side panels each have two nipples that go into two rubber dampers/grommets on the tail piece back there. The handlebar is fine if you're OK with it.

As for the seat: There is no nut. It's a bolt and collar. Remove the one from the fender and you'll see what I mean. The collar protects the seat's plastic tab from the threads on the bolt.

Trust me on the rubber wellnuts though: You don't want OEM, even if you aren't paying for them.

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #23
Richardcheung
ninjette.org member

yeah, I trust you, i already bought rubber wellnuts off of ebay.
hmmm, are the dampers the same for the top and bottom hole?
and also i think he already took off the reflectors, would it be a bad idea to ride without collars and just have the seat bolted to the frame, because 3 bucks for collars are a little pricey.